advertisement

Morrissey on Jools Tonight

erm by about 20x in each case! (40x for ozric nonsense/ 50x for genesis drivel).

a-level?! that's looking at it on face value: there's an ocean of depth there if you'd care to curtail your preconceptions. Morrissey I thought a total twat, innitially, but it soon became crystal clear was a lyricist of unequalled brilliance in modern music. Johnny Marr's ear for melody is unparalleled, and fwiw (f-all to me) his guitaring is ranked ~no.3 in the 'bloke's best guitarist list' or whatever bllx it was.

"Tull"! :D

erm by about 20x in each case! (40x for ozric nonsense/ 50x for genesis drivel).

a-level?! that's looking at it on face value: there's an ocean of depth there if you'd care to curtail your preconceptions. Morrissey I thought a total twat, innitially, but it soon became crystal clear was a lyricist of unequalled brilliance in modern music. Johnny Marr's ear for melody is unparalleled, and fwiw (f-all to me) his guitaring is ranked ~no.3 in the 'bloke's best guitarist list' or whatever bllx it was.

"Tull"! :D

No3 guitarist in 'whinging bands aimed at angst ridden teenagers with issues' ;)

:D thats me then. Its not worth fighting over The Smiths- i realise its a love or hate thing; just that I hated innitially, really loathed, until something clicked.. weeks later I was in musical love, which has never diminished an iota, unlike any other band I know/ like.

Best band ever!

Whinging, boring social commentary
Yawn

Oh and I forgot, zero musical ability. I was around as a young peep at the time of the smiffs. I listened to less obvious social bollocks

Er ... one has to jump in here and say if you thought the Smiths ever whinged ... or even ever did much in the way of social commentary then you never actually listened to them (I'll grant you may have heard them, but you definitely didn't listen). Funny and satyrical certainly, but whinging social commentary? Hardly.

Zero musical ability? Johnny Marr? Zero musical ability? That would be compared to which highly talented mid 80s guitar hero then? Behave!

Never been a Smiths fan at the time as I found them just a novelty act, Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now as I let them pass by. The brother and sister in law are big fans and er indoors was raving about one of his songs; a solo effort. Consequently I bought her the above mentioned album and actually listened to it. He is quite a wit in a dry sort of way and what a bloody good band he's now got, probably better than the Smiths ever were. Then again its not always about technical brilliance is it?

I can honestly say that Jools Holland is the only thing I really miss since we stopped watching TV several years ago. Oh and perhaps The Fast Show, we still watch a DVD film once a week.
Shame there are not more of his shows available on DVD, as we have one or two of them. It always amazed me that some bands you wouldn't give the time of day normally came over quite well on his show.

Errm - his current band are a cabaret act compared to The Smiths. Just listen to them murder This Charming Man here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lDfr9cFQmM

and compare to Johnny Marr and co playing it here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3hSDODDNs4

Science fact #2.

Youre quite correct the Smiths version knocks the spots of the new bands version. Perhaps it was because the suits were missing!!
The Morrissey greatest hits although knocked by purists such as yourself is nevertheless a bloody good album though, great songs, great arrangements and maybe a good introduction to his Mozness.

If you fancy some more Moz then try Viva Hate (first solo album), Vauxhall And I (mid-period solo) and You Are The Quarry (comeback album after 5 years in the wilderness). All are the dog's danglers I reckon.

just this minute listened to QIDead then VivaH. Chalk and cheese. Although VH is imo the best of his mozness'ss (prob cos doesn't have Boz Boredom on guitar simple as) its still almost totally forgettable really, truth be told. The £3 Tormentors lp is possibly the worst album Ive ever bought- barely managed to listen thru it once.

I wish he'd stop it now I really do, its getting embarrassing & is tainting the Smiths legacy.

Better than:

Floyd
Tull
Porc tree
Ozrics
Genesis

Need I go on?

Morrissy is morose ephemeral shit.

I have a real problem with all university/a level targetted bollocks.

Er...Westlife are better than
Floyd
Tull
Porc tree
Ozrics
Genesis
Pretentious, turgid overblown self important muzak to show off hi-fis with (with the possible exception of the Ozrics).

Chris

As I can't sleep before the Hull City vs Man Utd game I thought I would issue to the Pink Fish world - Rich's definitive guide to Morrissey's solo career:-

1. His first solo concert at Wolverhampton Civil Hall 1988. A "secret" gig, access to which just involved wearing a Smiths t-shirt. Captured quite wonderfully here http://www.flickr.com/photos/paigekparsons/sets/72157613018478699/ and on the Hulmerist video. Wasn't there. Could have been. Hated myself for not going.

2. A stunning initial run of singles with mostly great b-sides (1988 to 1990) - Suedehead; Everyday Is Like Sunday; The Last Of The Famous International Playboys; Interesting Drug; Ouija Board Ouija Board (this was actually a bit shit); November Spawned A Monster; Piccadilly Palare. Later put together on the compilation album Bona Drag - a "must have" if you can't be arsed to get the singles.

3. Debut album Viva Hate (1988). Included the first 2 singles above but was actually a bit disappointing in comparison to the singles run despite featuring great performances by Durutti Column guitarist Vini Reilly. Best other tracks were Margaret On The Guillotine and Late Night Maudlin Street.

4. Kill Uncle album (1991). Oh dear. This was proper dog tod (a Hull term for "shit"). Produced by Langer/Winstanley I guess in some crazed attempt to get a commercial sound. Why? Oh and a bloke from Fairground Attraction helped write the songs. Nuff said.

5. Your Arsenal album (1992). This was when he first teamed up with Boz Boorer formerly of the Polecats (shit UK version of the Stray Cats). I hated it then cos my kid sister loved it more than The Smiths. Kid sisters eh? It isn't actually that bad. Clearly part of the reason being that it was produced by Hull's Mick Ronson. And it has a handful of decent songs incl You're The One For Me Fatty (how can you not love a song called that), Seasick Yet Still Docked and We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful - mainly down to working with a far more important collaborator than Boorer - co-writer Alain Whyte. Oh and his hair still looked ace. Oh and he became huge in USA and Mexico. Crazy times.

6. Vauxhall and I album (1994). Somehow the Mozza/Boorer/Whyte axis produced a truly "decent" Morrissey solo album effectively out of nowhere. Mainly cos they dropped the pseudo rockabilly mentality and focussed on what he does best - thoughtful, inventive indie pop that makes you think "what the **** did he just say?" and "where did he nick that tune from?". Opening track "Now My Heart Is Full" sets the standard.

7. Southpaw Grammar and Maladjusted albums (1995-1997). Hmmm, he lost me here big time I'm afraid. Two very average albums that you could make a decent EP out of - just. Trouble Loves Me and Alma Matters (both from Maldjusted) being about the best songs.

8. Five years in the wilderness with no record company (1997 - 2002). A few tours - mainly in North and Latin America. But in the UK and the rest of Europe he was history.

9. Then in Sep 2002 - still with no record company and hence no typical "promotion" as such he played 2 nights at the Royal Albert Hall - both sell outs. More importantly he seemed to have some decent new songs - and when the RAH gigs were featured on a TV documentary, fans and the music industry started getting interested again.

10. You Are The Quarry album (2004). His best solo album by a ****ing street. and a return to live form that saw him selling out arenas all over the world including the MEN on his 45th birthday. A very, very strong album and a stunning return to form all round. I played it this morning and was awestruck yet again.

11. Ringleader Of The Tormentors album (2006). Aka the "cheap one from HMV". Much hyped due to it following YATQ and being (over) produced by Tony Visconti. But hugely let down by the songwriting. Alain Whyte was gradually being pushed out of the studio band (and totally out of the live band) and his replacement Jesse Tobias clearly is not as good a songwriter. However Life Is A Pigsty is worth the bargain purchase price alone and is unlike any other Morrissey song.

12. Years Of Refusal (2009). Quality-wise it lives half way between Quarry and Tormentors. Far less ambitious production-wise than Tormentors (a good thing) but the songs are generally not quite up to the standard of Quarry. However I do think that I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris is damn near as good a song as he as ever done.

So, there you go.

Next, my guide to Hull City. Will be about as patchy as the above. But I can never let go.

interesting Joyce and Rourke with him on the Wolves pics there. You Are The Quarry.. well Im tempted to give it a listen (i dont have it) after what you say, but would put money on disliking it alot. I'll dig out Bona Drag then for a spin too.

I think his best song/single from all the above is You're 'The One For Me Fatty' actually. Then 'Everyday is Like Sunday' of course. These two are equally as strong a anything on Strangeways.. but that's a pretty awful record really, to me (i remember slapping it on the day it came out- boy was I SO dissapointed. you could just sense the chemistry between them was/is so askew from note 1 to last).

Yeah agree re Strangeways. At the time most long-term Smiths fans thought it a big disappointment but somehow it has been praised to the skies subsequently - which I will never understand.

Er...Westlife are better than
Floyd
Tull
Porc tree
Ozrics
Genesis
Pretentious, turgid overblown self important muzak to show off hi-fis with (with the possible exception of the Ozrics).

Chris

Possibly the worst post I have ever read on PFM, I mean seriously Westlife, FFS.

advertisement

Back