advertisement

Morrissey on Jools Tonight

Cancelled cos the man is unwell (as was his Albert Hall gig). Sort yourself out Mozzer before Hull next Tuesday!

Oh no...Not Annie Lummox!
Didn't they wheel her out at New Year? If ever there was someone that takes themselves too seriously, it's her. I'll have to skip through that when I get to watch it.

No you're not - but he's lovely! Oh and he was in the best band ever. Enough to make me keep buying his albums, singles (7" and CD1 and CD2) and going to his gigs ever since. It's a bit like supporting a football team. They choose you not vice versa. and I was chosen in 1983 when I heard This Charming Man.

No you're not - but he's lovely! Oh and he was in the best band ever. Enough to make me keep buying his albums, singles (7" and CD1 and CD2) and going to his gigs ever since. It's a bit like supporting a football team. They choose you not vice versa. and I was chosen in 1983 when I heard This Charming Man.

So you haven't heard of The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Velvet Underground, Pixies, Nirvana......

I was chosen in 1959 (God, is it fifty years already!) by Sunderland AFC and, believe me, that has not been an easy road :D

malcolm

It's that bloody hat she's taken to wearing that gets me. The OH likes her though....

She's very much 'wimmin's music' I think, like George Michael & Sade.
I guess equally dire dross, like Iron Maiden & Megadeath are 'bloke music'.

AL is probably menopausal and rather desperately trying to recapture her former life in an attempt to convince herself that she is still young. In a few years she'll look back and realise what a twat she was being, but until then we'll just have to exercise the off switch.

Blokes on the other hand have no problem getting to 50 and still being able to don a purple velvet schoolboy uniform with cap, an SG, and Rawwk!!! and still be cool, in a rather odd sort of way. You see, the blokes have it, the girls don't. Simple as that. Look at the Krankies; it doesn't work for her does it!... but I bet she and Angus are around the same age. You see my point? :)

Cool
AC:DC-767774.jpg

Really not very cool at all
krankies.jpg

I rest my case

Oh no...Not Annie Lummox!
Didn't they wheel her out at New Year? If ever there was someone that takes themselves too seriously, it's her.

She just "sings" far too much, I view her as the vocal equivalent of a 1980s poodle-hair 'n' spandex heavy metal guitar solo: far too many notes and no legitimate reason for any of them. She should just sing the bloody song.

Tony.

She just "sings" far too much, I view her as the vocal equivalent of a 1980s poodle-hair 'n' spandex heavy metal guitar solo: far too many notes and no legitimate reason for any of them. She should just sing the bloody song.

Tony.

I will never forgive her for murdering Ash's 'Shining Light' :(

malcolm

you can't murder summat that's not alive to begin with.

btw - am I the only one that thinks Morrissey is a boring one trick pony?

I agree. although The Smiths were, quite possibly, the best band ever etc. Such a contrast between Smits and his dire solo stuff (bar a couple of vg songs only) I just can't fathom.. but, he's a national treasure, looks fabulous, and commands a presence as only a real entertainer can- a dying art nowadays sadly.

and I think it does work for The Krankies. they're sort of immortal, like Jimmy Saville. or Curly Wurlys or s'thing.

The Smiths were, quite possibly, the best band ever etc. Such a contrast between Smits and his dire solo stuff (bar a couple of vg songs only) I just can't fathom.. but, he's a national treasure, looks fabulous, and commands a presence as only a real entertainer can- a dying art nowadays sadly.

He is also one of the few musicians whose interviews are a genuinely great read.

I'm no huge fan, but 'How Soon Is Now' is a ****ing incredible song - like beer and cigarettes, Morrissey is nothing without Marr.

You are all absolutely right of course.
Moz is just a predictable one trick pony, but he has to be because he's true to what he is, and that isn't going to change. That's the honesty of who he is.
He is in fact the musical equivalent of Stephen Fry. Doesn't matter what he does, he'll always be ours.

Oh yes, Captain... you forgot the Chuckle Brothers

I've just watched the last one that failed to record on my Sky+ box on iplayer, and that Annie Lennox performance at the piano has to be one of the most godawful pretentious bits of melodrama I think I have ever witnessed on that show. Even my missus, an 80s music lover herself, cringed and hid her face in her hands.

What the hell does she think she's doing? It was so awful I couldn't even laugh.

New York Dolls - weren't they great? I almost think they are better than they've ever been - sort of totally comfortable doing what they are doing and showing it. Brilliant!

Best band ever!

Whinging, boring social commentary
Yawn

Oh and I forgot, zero musical ability. I was around as a young peep at the time of the smiffs. I listened to less obvious social bollocks

Stone him. head sticking oot the ground- and stone him.

Whinging boring (sublimely english morelike, but Ill go with it) social commentary, & the most boring name don't forget.. its exactly -meant- to be exactly so. How many pop bands have ever had a mite of SJM's depth with such guitar/songsmith ability as Johnny Marr? none. That's why they're possibly the best band ever. The Stones/ Beatles don't have 1/2 of Mozzer's intellect, or lyrical ability.. not even half. Musically it could be argued there's parity, and a wider scope for sure.

I'll start with 6 of the best from the umpires pocket.

Stone him. head sticking oot the ground- and stone him.

Whinging boring (sublimely english morelike, but Ill go with it) social commentary, & the most boring name don't forget.. its exactly -meant- to be exactly so. How many pop bands have ever had a mite of SJM's depth with such guitar/songsmith ability as Johnny Marr? none. That's why they're possibly the best band ever. The Stones/ Beatles don't have 1/2 of Mozzer's intellect, or lyrical ability.. not even half. Musically it could be argued there's parity, and a wider scope for sure.

I'll start with 6 of the best from the umpires pocket.

Better than:

Floyd
Tull
Porc tree
Ozrics
Genesis

Need I go on?

Morrissy is morose ephemeral shit.

I have a real problem with all university/a level targetted bollocks.

advertisement

Back