advertisement

More Wokery at the National Trust

I genuinely didn’t know the NT didn’t use butter in their scones.

Whilst the whole ‘wokery’ thing is daft, it might explain why their scones are dry, claggy in the mouth and, frankly, not very pleasant.
Aren't scones all like this anyway ?

To be fair, if you are told that the scones do not contain butter, buy something else. Also as a NT member you the opportunity to raise this and ask for an explanation.

I cannot really see this as something to get up wound up about.

You’d look a right dick asking the NT canteen why they haven’t used butter in scones for decades.

The use of coagulated fat product for this process is because its cheap and results in a product most people will find decent, its also stable, barely needs refrigeration and is highly predictable. It will at the very least fool the tourists. In all fairness there is not a terrific amount of butter in scones, this being said there aren't many ingredients at all, what makes them great is using the best ingredients you can find.

I guess to be vegan it also means there is no egg or milk, this is problematic for me. Egg is not essential and another raging argument over the humble scone, but no milk or butter, well not a lot left going on there. For some this mysterious not scone will be their only taste of scones. Which is a real shame.

Reactions: gez
The irony is they photograph them alongside clotted cream. Clotted cream that we’ll know vegan food!
As an aside I tried one a week or so ago. Won’t be having another as I didn’t like it at all. One of the worse scones I’ve eaten. Nothing wrong with it being vegan, just it taste awful with even worse mouth feel.

The irony is they photograph them alongside clotted cream. Clotted cream that we’ll know vegan food!
As an aside I tried one a week or so ago. Won’t be having another as I didn’t like it at all. One of the worse scones I’ve eaten. Nothing wrong with it being vegan, just it taste awful with even worse mouth feel.
The difficulty with vegan alternatives to traditional foods that contain meat products is that you are changing the fundamental chemistry of the thing and then trying to make it perform in a similar fashion to the original. It's bloody hard. Leaving the fat out of cream results in something very different, just like leaving the sugar out of chocolate does. You wouldn't try to make something that resembled a chickpea using only meat and dairy products, so making something that resembles cheese or beefburger from vegetables alone is going to be extraordinarily difficult and probably unsuccessful.

Far-right tabloid culture-war distractions aside 4.7% of the UK population is vegan. Everyone can eat vegan. It is the most non-exclusionary food. From a business perspective do you want to lose 4.7% of your market? Over a year that adds up!

@ks.234
Makes 10 -12 scones.

8 oz self raising flour
1/2 level tsp salt
1 level tsp baking powder
1-2 oz butter (or marg)
1/4 pint milk

Preheat a baking sheet in the oven.
Sift the flour, salt and baking powder in a large bowl, cut and rub in the butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
Make a well in the centre and stir in the milk to make a soft dough.
Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead quickly and lightly to remove any cracks.
Roll out to 3/4 inch thick.
Using to 2" cutter cut out rounds as close as possible.
Press the trimmings together and re-roll to make more rounds.
Place the rounds on the hot baking sheet.
Bake at 230 C (450 F) or Mark 8 for 8-10 mins.
(Reduce temp for fan assisted oven)

Leave to cool on a wire rack and then scoff the lot.

You can glaze them with melted butter or milk before putting them in the oven, I prefer not too.

You can add 2 oz of dried fruit to the dry mixture before adding the milk to make fruit scones😋

If you don't have a cutter just use a sharp knife, they'll look a bit like the ones in the pic.

My recipe book is from 1957, post rationing and pre Vegan (most likely) .

Far-right tabloid culture-war distractions aside 4.7% of the UK population is vegan. Everyone can eat vegan. It is the most non-exclusionary food. From a business perspective do you want to lose 4.7% of your market? Over a year that adds up!
You’ve got to admit that, on the face of it, it seems odd that the NT has chosen to appease the 4.7% vegan market, rather than the 95.3% non-vegan!

The difficulty with vegan alternatives to traditional foods that contain meat products is that you are changing the fundamental chemistry of the thing and then trying to make it perform in a similar fashion to the original. It's bloody hard. Leaving the fat out of cream results in something very different, just like leaving the sugar out of chocolate does. You wouldn't try to make something that resembled a chickpea using only meat and dairy products, so making something that resembles cheese or beefburger from vegetables alone is going to be extraordinarily difficult and probably unsuccessful.
No problem with vegan food or alternatives. Just pointing out I didn’t like NT vegan scones. Also thought picturing them with clotted cream was rather silly.
I was actually pleasantly surprised by vegan meringues I made from a aquafaba.

vegan meringues
What it takes to realise this:

basf-standort-in-ludwigshafen.jpg

I'm just amazed at all the people with the patience to get to the front of an NT cafe queue to try these mythical vegan scones. I'd much rather take a decent picnic instead of spending £50 and two hours on a disappointing lunch in one of their overcrowded cafes.

The difficulty with vegan alternatives to traditional foods that contain meat products is that you are changing the fundamental chemistry of the thing and then trying to make it perform in a similar fashion to the original. It's bloody hard
And frequently very dull. As a vegetarian for 53 years. And as such I try to avoid foods that tries to be like meat. Yes vegeburgers, I am talking to you.

Reactions: gez

advertisement

Back