advertisement

More tyres!

PaulMB

pfm Member
I've just discovered that the tyres on my car, a 1987 911, still have a respectable amount of tread but are about 8 years old. One tyre man said I should change them because the rubber is no longer nice and flexible and sticky, another said "do a few more thousand miles, don't worry."
I do feel that they are not quite as sticky as they used to be, but automatically factor this in when driving, since I'm not racing against anyone and the general roadholding is so good anyway.
Should I get 4 new tyres? Or stop worrying and just wear them down for another year or two?

After eight years I'd be changing them. My old pug 106 diesel (not exactly 911 territory I know) never used to wear it's tyres. I had some Michelins on it for about 4 years, plenty of tread after this time but the side walls had started to crack so I had them changed. I put budgets on, nankang iirc, it felt more planted/less skitty at motorway speeds afterwards so I'm guessing the Michelins had dried out and lost their stickiness.

I'm due new tyres on my R32, was thinking about starting a "what to buy?" thread. It's got Yokohamas on it at the moment.

Do you garage the car or leave it outside? Don't underestimate the effect of UV on sidewalls. Personally, I would change them

At 8 years old, I'd be more worried about general condition than tread depth. Sidewall damage/deterioration or cracking, perhaps a general loss of stiffness. Much may depend on how the car was used/stored. If standing for long periods, the tyres might have flat spots. If stored outdoors, I'd be concerned about UV degradation and/or general deterioration due to weather and temperature.

If it were me, I'd change them. Even if apparently safe, they're probably reducing the driving and handling qualities that made you choose a 911 in the first place.

Even with good tyres, the car had a reputation, and was known as "the widow maker" I would definitely put fresh boots on if you enjoy exploring the handling characteristics of the car.

I'm due new tyres on my R32, was thinking about starting a "what to buy?" thread. It's got Yokohamas on it at the moment.

I am a fan of Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Great ride and grip especially in the dry. Awful when cold or icy which is why I use Conti Winter Tyres until temps get above 7 degrees.

At 8 years, I'd be inclined to change them regardless. Some/most car manufacturers suggest tyres should be changed by 6 years at the latest (dependant on wear obviously) and some tyre manufacturers suggest their compounds can last as long as 10 years. So the make of tyre and compound used will have a bearing. If the side walls are showing signs of splits and cracks, I'd change them definitely. The last thing you need is to be on a nice run out where the tyres are at their hottest to then get a compound failure/possibly a proper blow out.

And doing it at your leisure as opposed to because something has happened to necessitate replacing them means you can hunt for the best deals. www.blackcircles.com is a good place to start but as I expressed on one of the other threads, I got a better deal on some Avon's by going to www.f1autocentres.co.uk direct online. They were ridiculously cheap and well worth it. Booked and paid online and selected a time slot a couple of days in advance but got a phone call advising the tyres had arrived at my selected branch and to pop down whenever suits.

I am a fan of Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Great ride and grip especially in the dry. Awful when cold or icy which is why I use Conti Winter Tyres until temps get above 7 degrees.

Cool (no pun intended), my car is four wheel drive (identical technology toAudi Quattro) so it's pretty good in icy conditions anyway but I have a spare set of TT Ronals so I could put winters on those if I feel the need later on.

Some/most car manufacturers suggest tyres should be changed by 6 years at the latest (dependant on wear obviously) and some tyre manufacturers suggest their compounds can last as long as 10 years. So the make of tyre and compound used will have a bearing. If the side walls are showing signs of splits and cracks, I'd change them definitely. The last thing you need is to be on a nice run out where the tyres are at their hottest to then get a compound failure/possibly a proper blow out.

In a previous life, I drove a Toyota HiAce and suffered one blow out (at 70mph in the outside lane of the M8) and a tread separation on another tyre of the same make and age (again, high speed, I heard the tread coming off and, having already experienced one blow out, recognised it for what it was and got to the hard shoulder before it all let go). In both cases, the tyres were factory-fit, about 3-4 years old and considerably above the legal tread wear limit. They were on the back, and subject to quite high loads (extensive high speed motorway work with ~1 ton loads routinely).

Since then, I've tended to go on condition rather than tread wear.

There's no right answer, it's all about condition and use. If the thing has been garaged and had minimal use then they may still be in good condition. OTOH you buy a 911 because it's a 911 and I am very sure that if you fit 4x new tyres it will feel better to drive.

The advice would be different if it were an 8yo Fiesta used for commuting, but that's a different car with different usage.

I was in the same position last summer with my G60. Four almost new tyres with 6+mm of tread, all had gone hard. I didn't realize quite how badly they affected the handling until I fitted new.

When you say "about" is that guesswork? There's a code on the sidewall to give a date on most tyres.
I've just changed a tyre on daughter's campervan due to old age, it was noticeably perished but still at 4mm tread.
You now have the option to choose a good tyre, best i ever had for grip were Yokohama 008Ps, lasted about 4000 miles though. Currently on P zero Rossos.

Yokos are known for grip and wear rate. I had 032s, which were a cut slick, on the Caterham. A 600mile weekend, most of it on the A1 at 70 Officer) with only a bit of spirited driving down quiet roads here and there, saw 1mm disappear.

I don't recommend Yoko's for everyday use on anything. In addition they can be a little unforgiving - they generate loads of grip but when they let go it's invariably at high speed and you may find that you have run out of talent. A "lesser" tyre that starts slithering around a bit and getting noisy a long time before it actually lets go is a better choice for most cars and drivers. I like to have a warning that things may be about to get very exciting, and I have no illusions as to my talent level.

Yokos are known for grip and wear rate. I had 032s, which were a cut slick, on the Caterham. A 600mile weekend, most of it on the A1 at 70 Officer) with only a bit of spirited driving down quiet roads here and there, saw 1mm disappear.

I don't recommend Yoko's for everyday use on anything. In addition they can be a little unforgiving - they generate loads of grip but when they let go it's invariably at high speed and you may find that you have run out of talent. A "lesser" tyre that starts slithering around a bit and getting noisy a long time before it actually lets go is a better choice for most cars and drivers. I like to have a warning that things may be about to get very exciting, and I have no illusions as to my talent level.

Mine always smell and feel noticeably hot after a good drive which suggests to me that they probably wear quickly.

Than you everyone!

The car lives indoors, so UV damage should be minimal. It does about 4000-5000 Km a year. I just checked and the tyres are 07 at the front and 08 and 09 at the back, suggesting that the fronts were in a warehouse for a couple of years before I bought them.
So 2 are 8 years old, one is 7 and one is 6.

The tyres are Continental Sport Contacts. Even when new they were not super-sticky, but what I liked about them was that they gave good warning of being on the limit of their grip, a very gradual and controllable "un-sticking." Presumably because the rubber compound was not super-soft, which would also explain how after maybe 30,000 Km they still have plenty of tread.

One problem choosing a new set today is that they are relatively high-profile tyres, compared to today's high performance tyres, so choice is limited.

Thanks again!

advertisement

Back