advertisement

"Moral indignation in most cases is, 2% moral, 48% indignation, and 50% envy."

Steven,
Remember those bits of "Peak" plastic that you placed between the mains plugs and sockets devised by your friendly "Hi Fi" company that you raved on about.
Enough said I think, your credibility after that is questionable
oldie

Bothering to read the article is a must.

"Read, analyse, discuss."

In that order.

Nor reading the article is laziness.

Stating that you haven't read it is trolling.

Btw, I suspect that audiophile ethernet cables probably are a waste of money, so there!

Note I said "probably."
Must add "Lazy troll" to my tagline, excellent !

Life is short, the sun is sparkling away on the waters of the med, and I've just been invited to stroll down to a beachside café for a beer.

What would you do, read the article or grab the sunglasses?

I don't think references to people entirely outside the hobby and what they might think are either necessary or relevant. The envy clearly comes from those within the hobby who don't like spending money and begrudge others doing so.

If by people entirely outside the hobby you you are referring to my post #3 then yes, they are outside the hobby but relevant to your headline quote.
You could lighten up and be rather less prescriptive.
YOU WILL Read, analyse, discuss.

If by people entirely outside the hobby you you are referring to my post #3 then yes, they are outside the hobby but relevant to your headline quote.
You could lighten up and be rather less prescriptive.
YOU WILL Read, analyse, discuss.

You can take the teacher out of the classroom ...

Life is short, the sun is sparkling away on the waters of the med, and I've just been invited to stroll down to a beachside café for a beer.

I wouldn't post. You did. The beer must be vastly overpriced Kronenbourg or some such.

I'm 48 % indignant that you're so hedonistic, but over 50% envious of your current situation. There's got to be a moral there somewhere, but at less than 2%, I couldn't give a monkey's.

Since we're quoting percentages, my cat Pumpkin is 100% temperamental — half temper and half mental.

Joe

Steven,
Remember those bits of "Peak" plastic that you placed between the mains plugs and sockets devised by your friendly "Hi Fi" company that you raved on about.
Enough said I think, your credibility after that is questionable
oldie

Off - topic.

And it's PEEK.

I'm 48 % indignant that you're so hedonistic, but over 50% envious of your current situation. There's got to be a moral there somewhere, but at less than 2%, I couldn't give a monkey's.

I'm not envious of paying €5 or more for a measly 25cl of unremarkable lager only to spend the next hour or so watching the little bubbles rise from the bottom to the top of the glass.

I am a little envious of the scenery, sky and sunshine though but the French seriously take the piss with their beer prices given how little tax they pay on it.

In France one pays through the nose just to be seen with a beer.

Is Czech beer very strong? I seemed to get tiddly quite quickly on just a few glasses when I was there last year.

I am green with envy :(

I have often noted that audiophiles seem to have little idea how they are viewed by others but envy is an weird one until you think about what might be motivating audiophiles themselves.

For home audio enthusiasts that are not audiophiles, I think embarrassment might be the strongest emotion beginning with E when it comes to audiophiles and their hardware. For example, if given an expensive audiophile gizmo for free, even if it is functionally as good as a standard gizmo, I suspect many would not use it because of the embarrassment they would feel if it was seen by a peer.

Exclusivity is what some folks seek perhaps. Maybe in the belief that it makes them a cut above the ordinary. Shame really

I'm curious what people who have never met me think about my purchases and how the stuff I buy defines me as an individual.

I don't wish to be presumptuous, but I think my 55mm f/2.8 Nicro-Nikkor screams, "You will soon be honoured by someone you respect."

No, wait. That's what the cookie told me last night.

Joe

Is Czech beer very strong? I seemed to get tiddly quite quickly on just a few glasses when I was there last year.

Czech beers have a similar range of strength as UK beers - from about 3.8% to 7% abv. A typical beer is about 4.5% just like in the UK. You usually get a choice of "10%" or "12%" which is the degrees Plato not abv. A "10%" beer is usually between 3.8 and 4.3% abv and a "12%" beer, between 4.4 and 5%.

It probably seemed like just a few glasses given that:

1) It tastes good.

2) It's cheap and about 1/6th of the price you pay in France.

3) It is dispensed slowly to create a creamy head rather than a fizzy drink.

4) Waiters bring you another one as soon as you've finished your beer. Trying to get another beer out of a French waiter is like trying to get blood out of a stone!

I have often noted that audiophiles seem to have little idea how they are viewed by others but envy is an weird one until you think about what might be motivating audiophiles themselves.

For home audio enthusiasts that are not audiophiles, I think embarrassment might be the strongest emotion beginning with E when it comes to audiophiles and their hardware. For example, if given an expensive audiophile gizmo for free, even if it is functionally as good as a standard gizmo, I suspect many would not use it because of the embarrassment they would feel if it was seen by a peer.

We're all audiophiles. You are just trying to attach a stigma label to to some of us but not others. There is a certain moral indignation at work on the part of any audiophile who refers to others as 'audiophiles.'

Try as I might I can't escape being an audiophile. This doesn't mean I've put the kit before the music, but I'd be lying like a fly with a booger in its compound eye if I said I had no interest in the bits and bobs side of the hobby.

That said, it matters not one iota to me if people think, for example, that my original P9 is amazing or crap. It doesn't matter to me one bit whether people think I'm crazy to play records when a $39 DVD player clearly measures much better.

My system is largely analogue, with valve amplification and ancient speakers that are older than I am. I bought some stuff I like and you are free to like, dislike, approve or disapprove all you want.

If you wish to pooh-pooh my system, you have my explicit permission and blessing to pooh-pooh all you like. But if you don't have 15-inch back-loaded form woofers you're a jive-ass chump!

Joe

advertisement

Back