advertisement

Monitor Audio Loudspeakers

We moved house in January and realised that my beloved Epos ES11s would not go with the room so we auditioned a pair of MA Silver 200 7s.
They are beautifully made, in gloss black and fit so well into our room, which is admittedly a compromise for audio.
Despite that, they sound wonderful, with a mid band clarity to match the Epos but with a much bigger and more grown up sound overall.
They also gives much bigger soundstage, despite their positioning.
I am really pleased with them.
I know they might be outside of your budget but i am thinking that the silver 100s probably sound pretty damn good too. đź‘Ť
Highly recommended.

I generally like a laid back sound but I love my Studio 20 SEs. I don't find them overly bright just very detailed but I do use them with a valve pre and class A monoblocs which might suit them better than AB. Haven't got round to trying valve power yet.
I run mine with valve pre/power (Conrad Johnson PV10/MV55) and have no problems at all with the treble and I find many well respected speakers (Kans and LS50s to name but two distinctly unpleasant in that region). I guess we all pay our money and make our choices.
I generally like a laid back sound but I love my Studio 20 SEs. I don't find them overly bright just very detailed but I do use them with a valve pre and class A monoblocs which might suit them better than AB. Haven't got round to trying valve power yet.

Thanks Alun,
I'm still looking but mentioning the GR60's opens up other possibilities.
We’ve had a full 7.1 set of GR speakers from new, 20 odd years I guess, many other makes/models have come and gone in my systems but Mrs AA refuses to swap out the GR20 mains in hers, although some small Logan panels got close.

The GR60 is a good shout if you want a fuller sound. The crossovers can be pimped with a bit of DIY. The range that replaced the GR - GS are also very good value used these days. Often hear the “MA bright metal tweeter” criticism but they just need proper matching - room/amp, like every other speaker model.

Mate has modern MA Silvers and is very happy, he’s an independent AV/CCTV installer so gets to hear a lot of different kit.

We’ve had a full 7.1 set of GR speakers from new, 20 odd years I guess, many other makes/models have come and gone in my systems but Mrs AA refuses to swap out the GR20 mains in hers, although some small Logan panels got close.

The GR60 is a good shout if you want a fuller sound. The crossovers can be pimped with a bit of DIY. The range that replaced the GR - GS are also very good value used these days. Often hear the “MA bright metal tweeter” criticism but they just need proper matching - room/amp, like every other speaker model.

Mate has modern MA Silvers and is very happy, he’s an independent AV/CCTV installer so gets to hear a lot of different kit.
Thanks for the info. Funnily enough I heard a pair of the MA silvers not so long back, I quiet liked what I heard. I'll do my homework on these.

I loved my RX2 stand mounts. Driven by a fully JS Audio tweaked Musical Fidelity A5 they lapped up the power.

There's a pair of RX8 on eBay fairly local to me and I'm tempted to get them just to see how they compare to my Epicon 2!

My friend who has a pair of GR60's himself lives in Chesterfield. They are moving house in July so all the hi-fi is currently packed and awaiting removal. So that maybe doesn't help you much right now.
My head is whizzing! 'no not on drugs!' The lack of transport is telling on me now, why didn't I learn to drive a car instead of having motorcycles?
Interested in a few pairs loudspeakers, but collection only as they have thrown out the boxes!?

Just noticed you want floorstanders. I would not recommend 14’s on the basis that the 7’s were better. Despite the multiple awards, the 7’s are killer speakers in the right system. I bought a pair for £60 a couple of years ago!

If you want floorstanders, I’d just grab a pair of Talismans. Couple of hundred quid, job done. FYI I went from ES11’s to Neat Petites to Talisman 2’s all on the end of a new Olive NAP250.,

Which 7s Jezmond? The 80s bookshelves? I think I've mentioned on another thread that I heard those several times at The Cornflake Shop often on the end of quite expensive kit. They sounded great. I think there was also an older, larger '70s MA 7.

A friend had them, rather tiny looking but even that contender to the superb Epos ES 11 (which is unusual.)
I have had both ES11 and the tiny Monitor 7 on my system at the same time.
I actually had each pair switchable.
The monitor 7s were very good but when another pair of used ES11s became available I traded the Monitor 7s in for them.
They simply didn’t have the superb mid range clarity of the Epos.
My current Monitor Audio silver 200 7s are able to match the lovely midrange of the ES 11s, of which I have set up on a second system plus they deliver a much bigger sound.
All of these have been very good speakers tbh. đź‘Ť

From the early '90s (Monitor & Studio series) up until the RS-series their speakers sound bass-light and bright. That started to change with the RX series and most ensuing models seem to have an almost neutral balance.
My old Gold Reference 20's are notably warmer and more bassy than my current Silver 500 7G, which are far more neutral.

All very interesting, particularly the 200 7gs. I'm considering a lot of options for downsizing the system, and for some reason I hadn't really considered MA speakers.

Monitor Audio silver 200 7s
I auditioned these first. Only reason I didn't get them was because one of the improvements I was looking for was extra bass extention over my GR20's. So despite clearly being far more neutral and easily equal, if not better, in terms of actual resolution than my GR20's* (I was a bit worried that being the "lower" silver range to my old Gold range speakers, that I'd be losing some ability to hear low level information such as hall acoustics etc), i didn't get them.

*which just goes to show how much technology of speaker drivers has improved in the 20 odd years between the two speakers - and gotten cheaper too - the 200's were the same price today as the GR20's were when they were launched in the early 00's. At the time I auditioned them at least.

NB: I can't speak for earlier models, but modern MA speakers have (IMO) well and truly disproved the myth that metal drivers are bright. As I said previously, my old GR20's were overly warm if anything (they had a measurable dip between 1.5khz and 5khz of the order of 1.5-2dBA).

I auditioned these first. Only reason I didn't get them was because one of the improvements I was looking for was extra bass extention over my GR20's. So despite clearly being far more neutral and easily equal, if not better, in terms of actual resolution than my GR20's* (I was a bit worried that being the "lower" silver range to my old Gold range speakers, that I'd be losing some ability to hear low level information such as hall acoustics etc), i didn't get them.

*which just goes to show how much technology of speaker drivers has improved in the 20 odd years between the two speakers - and gotten cheaper too - the 200's were the same price today as the GR20's were when they were launched in the early 00's. At the time I auditioned them at least.

NB: I can't speak for earlier models, but modern MA speakers have (IMO) well and truly disproved the myth that metal drivers are bright. As I said previously, my old GR20's were overly warm if anything (they had a measurable dip between 1.5khz and 5khz of the order of 1.5-2dBA).
I understand your point of view.
Bass response and absolute detail are pretty much an afterthought with me.
I look for clarity and dynamics and a good treble response, in a package that is acceptable to me and to the wife, in our home.
If that were not the case, I would probably have some horn speakers for their speed and transient response.

For all that, the MA silver 200s 7s delivered the goods on all of the characteristics that love with the bonus of a noticeably easier to follow and still solid bass line. đź‘Ť

advertisement

Back