advertisement

Monarchy question

slightly worried by this...so your defenition of 'English' is hat exactly...all non saxons (or do we go back to just pure celtic blood?), prepare for the deprtation bus? If the Queen isn't 'English' then the world's gone totally insane.
Brythonic and Welsh.

The Home Office should introduce a point-based monarchy system. Maybe ask prospective rulers which cricket team they support, that kind of thing.

Of course for many centuries the 'British' Royal Family has been a cross-European institution, but last century many of its overseas branches were forced to close.

Of course for many centuries the 'British' Royal Family has been a cross-European institution, but last century many of its overseas branches were forced to close.

Which makes most European wars to be about familial disputes rather than national issues?

I'd be interested to know the real story behind that film. The Hitlergruss only really got going after Hitler became Chancellor (1933), so at the time of that film, it probably wouldn't have been universal, even in Germany. Since all of the subjects except the Queen have departed, and she would not have realised the significance, even if it were a Nazi salute, I doubt we'll ever know.

Nevertheless, the real contacts with the Nazi regime only started after the abdication - and there is film of both Duke and Duchess of Windsor doing the authentic article.

Nobody is attaching any blame to the queen for the Nazi salute, she was clearly too young to know what she was doing. Edward was not.

If, as you say, the Hitler salute only got going after 1933, the fact that Edward was practicing and promoting it in 1933, surely only shows his enthusiasm for Hitler from a very early beginning?

Last edited:
I did not say the Queen was not English and obviously my views on the Royal family are historically supported by the adoption of the name Windsor!

Why misquote me and then conclude with some remarks that are not worthy of comment.
why comment on something unworthy?

Certainly up to and including WWI. Less so with WWII.
Only in the sense that the Royal families were interrelated, WW1 was mostly fuelled by the new German Reich's rampant nationalism and French resentment about the loss of Alsace and Lorraine to Germany in the Franco-Prussian War, and British fears for the balance of power in Europe and the primacy of our navy).

Of course, it wasn't helped by the Kaiser's inferiority complex and dislike of his British cousins (whom he quite rightly suspected of considering him a bit of a bounder), but once the war started, even he lost any real power to stop it. By 1917, Ludendorff and the military had pretty much hijacked the German government, in a way that never happened in Britain or France.

Nobody is attaching any blame to the queen for the Nazi salute, she was clearly too young to know what she was doing. Edward was not.

If, as you say, the Hitler salute only got going after 1933, the fact that Edward was practicing and promoting it in 1933, surely only shows his enthusiasm for Hitler from a very early beginning?
I've no answer to that one. It just seems incredibly unlikely that David (he didn't become Edward until 1936, and then only briefly) should be practising the Hitlergruss, when it hadn't really taken off in Germany (it really took off, indeed became mandatory, when Hitler made himself Führer in 1934, combining the roles of head of state and government leader).

I've no answer to that one. It just seems incredibly unlikely that David (he didn't become Edward until 1936, and then only briefly) should be practising the Hitlergruss, when it hadn't really taken off in Germany (it really took off, indeed became mandatory, when Hitler made himself Führer in 1934, combining the roles of head of state and government leader).

45775203442_1c68bc7147.jpg

45775267262_a241255a73.jpg

my how they covered all bases...a christian, one of each patron saint, his dad's name and....edward. Nothing populist there then.

Maybe not. I reckon she's waiting for Charles to become popular.
hahahahha...good one.
It's just me I expect, but seems to me that positions of responsibilty/authority/leadership....whatever
and 'popularity' don't really have much in common. Well, not is they are to be memorable for the right reasons anyway.
Corbyn was sporting a natty anorak at the memorial service today, maybe in an effort to be popular/likeable or etc, but did it make the country think ...'oh, this is my next leader!!!' '?

And the problem IS
maybe he did achieve just that.

I just thought 'couldn't you even be arsed to dress properly''?

advertisement

Back