advertisement

Mogami Speaker Cables

Isn't the 2804 the Mogami speaker cable to get? (Difficult to find though, IIUC)

Taken from here, page 66:

"Hi-Fi Cable NEGLEX 2803 & 2804 - Historical Review

Part No. 2803 and 2804 are difficult to manufacture and have a very low yield rate. So we can make relatively small amounts of them. These present the paradox that if they became very popular it would take too many factory resources which could be used more profitably in making other products. Frankly most companies would discontinue them as too much trouble for the revenue they generate.

[...]

Two products which resulted from huge amount of theoretical study, computation, measurement and experimental research by double blind test are the 2803 interconnect and 2804 speaker cable. These have been judged by countless listeners to have extremely high sound quality.

Because of difficult to manufacture cable design and resulting very low yield rate, these are not "practical" products, so that we are always urged by our accountants to discontinue them. However, we think we are going to continue with the challenge of making them. We hope critical listeners continue to enjoy them.

[...]"

Isn't the 2804 the Mogami speaker cable to get? (Difficult to find though, IIUC)

Taken from here, page 66:

"Hi-Fi Cable NEGLEX 2803 & 2804 - Historical Review

Part No. 2803 and 2804 are difficult to manufacture and have a very low yield rate. So we can make relatively small amounts of them. These present the paradox that if they became very popular it would take too many factory resources which could be used more profitably in making other products. Frankly most companies would discontinue them as too much trouble for the revenue they generate.

[...]

Two products which resulted from huge amount of theoretical study, computation, measurement and experimental research by double blind test are the 2803 interconnect and 2804 speaker cable. These have been judged by countless listeners to have extremely high sound quality.

Because of difficult to manufacture cable design and resulting very low yield rate, these are not "practical" products, so that we are always urged by our accountants to discontinue them. However, we think we are going to continue with the challenge of making them. We hope critical listeners continue to enjoy them.

[...]"

If you can find it...they sell for 1K for a 2metre..or at least the last set I saw did. I wont ever pay 1K for wire. Only stupid people do that.

2804 seam to be very odd cable!? is it popular globally or just in the east where they prefer that BBC type/16ohm voicing ?

From yesterday evening listening I'm feeling the 3103 has definitely changed in characteristics so there is some burn in effect happening, and a fairly noticeable one. Its sounding little lighter and faster.

2804 seam to be very odd cable!? is it popular globally or just in the east where they prefer that BBC type/16ohm voicing ?

From yesterday evening listening I'm feeling the 3103 has definitely changed in characteristics so there is some burn in effect happening, and a fairly noticeable one. Its sounding little lighter and faster.

i'm certain you know the distinction - but are you CERTAIN that's not atmospheric (read barometic) differences you are 'hearing'? pressure and humidity DO affect what we hear significantly you know ... just curious

Would like to try some 3104 myself to see how it compares to the 2972 I use.Anybody know of any banana plugs that will accept this volume of cable ?

i'm certain you know the distinction - but are you CERTAIN that's not atmospheric (read barometic) differences you are 'hearing'? pressure and humidity DO affect what we hear significantly you know ... just curious

I'm reasonably sure the environment hasn't changed much, the rooms always at 21-22c and the system doesn't get powered down, much.

Tonight they seem to have really settled in. Sounding wonderful, open and detailed with really deep controlled bass and wide open imaging.

I'm looking for longer cables than my 2m Soundstrings and the Mogami items may fit the bill.
Is the 3104 a bi-wire version of the 3103?

OK so the Mogami 3103 has been replaced.... enter Epic Super Twin (bi-wire epic twin) built with more of the same HICON Banana plugs in shotgun configuration.

Got these new old stock from George Heathcote Audio who has some off the real. @2x 2.5m for £200 including delivery.

Previously tried Epic Twin and found it pleasant enough but didn't do really low level texture well, Super Twin puts that right.

OK so the Mogami 3103 has been replaced.... enter Epic Super Twin (bi-wire epic twin) built with more of the same HICON Banana plugs. Built in shotgun configuration.

Got these new old stock from George Heathcote Audio who has some off the real. @2x 2.5m for £200 including delivery.

Previously tried Epic Twin and found it pleasant enough but didn't do really low level texture well, Super Twin puts that right.

Have you seen the similar cables in the classisied section?

Ive been rediscoering Mogami at the moment.

I had a set of the 3103 years ago and it sounded flat, heavy lumpy bass and non articulate, just muddy. However it was a fairly cheap system, so am thinking it may suit my current one much better, so tempted to try it.

The data sheet you posted is interested, although I dont understand it! What is the difference in responses in the variation of ways the 3104 would be wired?

2me7s3o.png

Can only agree with your middle para. I tried mine on about £20k of kit though and they were just awful.

advertisement

Back