advertisement

Mogami Speaker Cables

So I've been playing with these Mogami 3103 and Hicon plugs:

https://www.hhb.co.uk/product/mogami-2-conductor-4mm-(12awg)-speaker-cable-(3103)/2357/
https://www.studiospares.com/Cables-Leads/Connectors-Other/HICON-HI-BM13-WHT-Banana-Black_509160.htm
https://www.studiospares.com/Cables-Leads/Connectors-Other/HICON-HI-BM13-RED-Banana-Red_509170.htm

Very impressed. Bought as a stop gap. Sold the LS-25s as they were (1.4m) too long. but am considering if there's any need to move away from these (back to routes with studio grade cables).

noticing little difference, nothing major to say has changed. It’s very decent cable and sounds natural.
The LS-25 has less lower resolve which gives the 3103 a more natural presentation. The 3103 seams better on vocals. My girlfriend preferred the ‘etched’ sound of the LS-25. I’m favouring the 3103. We did back to back blind tests with her being the test subject, she wanted me to keep the LS-25.

I’ve read a review of the 3103 which said it takes 120h plus to run in?! any truth in this from users on PFM??. Also have any of you compared the 3103 to the 2972 in the 1-3 2-4 configuration?

https://www.hhb.co.uk/files/product/file/datasheet_20120314134638_991.pdf

CK-I have nothing to offer here really, other than I have been using a 10' pair of 3103 in my system for about 5 years now, mainly bought it when I had my Shahinian Obelisk2's. Just a good cable period, no foo, simple. And it is thick enough one could use it as a jump rope if they wanted to, haha.

I have not compared it to the 2972. My other go-to cable has been DH Labs T-14, reasonable, good value cable. To be honest, not much in all of it, maybe slight differences here and there, none are necessarily "better", and I would fail in a blind test to say which was what anyway.

These days I find it so hard to do cable comparisons and would almost rather watch paint dry. I would rather just listen to my music. Have fun!

PS-As to run-in/burn-in, who knows. I just plugged it in and played tunes. Didn't notice anything different to my ears.

By the way, curious, as you seemed to like the LS-25 cables, why did you not just cut them and re-terminate? Obviously some of us would have just found a place for the slack and not bothered, but sometimes from a nice clean look, it can be understandable...

Thanks Tim - yes I really like the LS -25 but the cost of retermination is £200 and apparently it’s very difficult to do due to the cable construction, normal soldering isn’t enough. It requires a specific temperature to remove some of its mineral insulation apparently so didn’t feel comfortable chopping it up.

What system are you using the 3103 in, Tim?

Mogami was recommended to me so I made up some 5m cables using 2972 (1-3/2-4) when I got my Shaninians. Very flexible for a thick cable so it was easy to arrange the excess cable from the left hand speaker under my racks so it all looks nice and neat. Works for me.

CK, understand on the re-termination bit, I haven't seen the LS cable, so didn't know about the construction of it. My system is noted in my sig. line.

Ive been rediscoering Mogami at the moment.

I had a set of the 3103 years ago and it sounded flat, heavy lumpy bass and non articulate, just muddy. However it was a fairly cheap system, so am thinking it may suit my current one much better, so tempted to try it.

The data sheet you posted is interested, although I dont understand it! What is the difference in responses in the variation of ways the 3104 would be wired?

2me7s3o.png

You should also seriously consider Canare 4S11. If you order from Blue Jeans it will come very nicely terminated, with ultrasonically welded locking bananas. These are really excellent, as is the cable. Star Quad.

http://www.bluejeanscable.co.uk/store/speaker/index.htm

I found them so arsey to deal with, that an import and RM release fee monies, Ive generally avoided them. If there as a supplier in the UK, I'd definitely give the stuff a shot!

I found them so arsey to deal with, that an import and RM release fee monies, Ive generally avoided them. If there as a supplier in the UK, I'd definitely give the stuff a shot!

Quite the opposite for me. Just choose the carriage method that includes all import fees and duty (as detailed in their site). Cables took 3 days to arrive, no difficulty at all.

i have the canare in 4s8 and 4s11 - good cable for sure ... nothing exceptional but probably at least as good as the mogami

also - the canare is supposed to reasonably compatible with naim and exposure ... would seem to be true in my experience - no issues whatever

Quite the opposite for me. Just choose the carriage method that includes all import fees and duty (as detailed in their site). Cables took 3 days to arrive, no difficulty at all.

I see they have starting doing that now - quite interesting as the shipping charge is less than what the customs and vat charge would be on the cables alone, Fedex must have a 'deal' with the HMRC like Pitney Bowes who do the EBay Global Shipping .

Quite reasonable price wise must admit, good shout Simon. As long as I dont have to speak to them, Grumpy bunch they are :)

The data sheet you posted is interested, although I dont understand it! What is the difference in responses in the variation of ways the 3104 would be wired?

The reactance is different depending on how you pair the wires. It would seem that +-+- has less capacitance than ++--.

Which would mean?..
There are 4 wires inside the cable. You need a + and a - to hook up to your amplifier/speakers so you're going to have to combine them in some fashion.

Looking at the diagram with them numbered 1-4, you could either:

a) Twist 1 & 2 together as the + conductor and 3 & 4 as the - conductor; or
b) Twist 1 & 3 together as the + conductor and 2 & 4 as the - conductor.

According to the spec sheet, (b) will result in slightly lower capacitance across the audio spectrum.

Hi,

Try doing the above with 3104, the resulting mass of wire is larger than most banana plugs or spade terminals can take.

However it does sound better than 2972, clearer and a wider soundstage.

Cheers

John

Hi,

Try doing the above with 3104, the resulting mass of wire is larger than most banana plugs or spade terminals can take.

However it does sound better than 2972, clearer and a wider soundstage.

Cheers

John

I think is the avenue I am leaning towards..

There are 4 wires inside the cable. You need a + and a - to hook up to your amplifier/speakers so you're going to have to combine them in some fashion.

Looking at the diagram with them numbered 1-4, you could either:

a) Twist 1 & 2 together as the + conductor and 3 & 4 as the - conductor; or
b) Twist 1 & 3 together as the + conductor and 2 & 4 as the - conductor.

According to the spec sheet, (b) will result in slightly lower capacitance across the audio spectrum.

I know what it 'physically' means :) I was curious over the aural difference of either way?

I use 3104 (had 3103 before). I use brown and orange together and red and yellow together. Don't remember how i corresponds to the above explanation. :) That's on the amplifier end (quite a hassle to find room for all the wire) as I bi-wire the 4 ends at the speaker end - perhaps defeating the intention?

advertisement

Back