advertisement

Mogami 2549, the giant killer?

Question

Why grounding the shield at one end and not both?

Regards
What has come to be known as 'quasi-balanced' is intended to prevent ground loops when connecting an unbalanced source to a balanced input.

Specifically, the cable shield is connected to signal -ve at the source end only, this as a way of extending the ground plane of the source along the length of cable without creating a ground loop involving the two components. Not worth bothering with otherwise (some might say 'regardless', as any balanced amp worth bothering with will have a ground lift switch).

What has come to be known as 'quasi-balanced' is intended to prevent ground loops when connecting an unbalanced source to a balanced input.

Specifically, the cable shield is connected to signal -ve at the source end only, this as a way of extending the ground plane of the source along the length of cable without creating a ground loop involving the two components. Not worth bothering with otherwise (some might say 'regardless', as any balanced amp worth bothering with will have a ground lift switch).

I can't say I understand everything, but I get the main ideia. Thanks so much for the explanation

I use Mogami 2534 XLRs between my DAC/pre and power amp. Sound is perfectly fine to me.

Here’s a timely video:

I watched this but a couple of things puzzled me. The guy said his wife did a blind test and always thought cables sounded different but it wasn't clear whether this meant she consistently heard that cable A sounded different to cable B, or just that she thought the sound changed when he made a change (which would be meaningless). Why no more detail on this?

Second, it's puzzling that after explaining the science he then seems to ignore it and does an entirely subjective sighted listening test. Perhaps the colour of the cables influenced what he thought he heard?

Tim

I use Mogami 2534 XLRs between my DAC/pre and power amp. Sound is perfectly fine to me.

Here’s a timely video:

I don't really understand how he couldn't show his wife how to swap out one interconnect for another. At least then it would have been a blind test.

I don't really understand how he couldn't show his wife how to swap out one interconnect for another. At least then it would have been a blind test.
She'd have to be a fellow audiophile nutter to indulge beyond the role of listener. Frankly, her willingness to sit through the same track, over and over, and be subjected to his check list of questions each time, speaks volumes as to her commitment to their relationship.

He is a very good speaker/presenter, though.

He was up-front about the methodology he used. Kudos for transparency in that regard. No doubt we can pick holes in how he did it.

I liked the video. I also saw another one on loudspeakers, that was pretty good too. In both videos he explains the science then moves to subjective / results, I agree that this leaves a potential question mark "what happened in between".

But isn't that the never-ending debate amongst our lot? Data and science vs emotion? I personally think you cannot fall hard on either side.

I tried a new cable today (CD-preamp). A posh, very expensive silver/copper/Teflon cable with line transformers (so the devices are completely independent with no common ground). Why not.
I wanted to hear something. I did actually! :)
It sounded great, much better than the old one (the Mogami). More details, more atmospheric sound.

Only, this was just the fruit of my imagination of course. A bit later, the improvements disappeared completely. I had probably just focussed on details in the music I couldn’t be bothered with before.
I do hear the “new details” with the old spaghetti too.

The old Mogami (MGK18) is fine. I’ve had that for 35 years.

I do hear the “new details” with the old spaghetti too
Completely valid observation and I have been here. I now put in the new <insert item here> and listen. This gets me over the "hearing new details" phase. Then I put back the old one and listen again. In a lot of cases I still hear the new things.

Completely valid observation and I have been here. I now put in the new <insert item here> and listen. This gets me over the "hearing new details" phase. Then I put back the old one and listen again. In a lot of cases I still hear the new things.

"Once heard, cannot be un-heard"...

One of the big problems with audio comparisons, especially A-B or A-B-X tests.

I had a slightly better result with the Mogami from the cd player to the pre amp. I also organize part of the room to enhance acoustic. It's quite good there. I'll try Mogami 2497 too

I bring questions:

The Mogami 2549 capacitance is considered low?

Whats the effect of low capacitance in interconect sounding?

If it is that allows natural brightness to come up, why cables like Van Damme, with higher capacitance, are considered brighter?

advertisement

Back