advertisement

Mogami 2549, the giant killer?

Don’t worry Craig. I feel we can discuss anything freely here. And here we are at page 2 :)

hello chartz

What did you think of the sound of different types of Mogami over these 35 years? I heard they sound a little different from each other.

Did you measure them or compare them with other cables?

FWIW I have compared my home made Mogami 2549 XLR with 2 other cables. I cannot hear any differences. Context: 10m Mogami XLR pair between pre-processor and power amp. The cables I tried are Lyric HG (9m) and EWA IC-25 (<2m).

hello chartz

What did you think of the sound of different types of Mogami over these 35 years? I heard they sound a little different from each other.

Did you measure them or compare them with other cables?
No. They all sound the same to these ears.

If all mogamis sounded the same, why they are bringing new models to the market over the years?

The only explanation is for lenght or shielding proprierties, if it isn't for sound

Just bought a pair but I’m not expecting any discernible difference from my previous Van Damme cables. Used to be into handwringing about cables but I just don’t bother anymore. All the best to those who do though.

If all mogamis sounded the same, why they are bringing new models to the market over the years?
  • Improved handling / coiling for field use
  • Stronger for field use
  • More flexible for field use
  • Change of materials for cost or availability
  • Marketing
  • Industry trends
Above is all guesswork on my part, my point being there are many factors for new models not just audio quality.

• Improved handling / coiling for field use
  • Stronger for field use
  • More flexible for field use
  • Change of materials for cost or availability
  • Marketing
  • Industry trends
Above is all guesswork on my part, my point being there are many factors for new models not just audio quality.

There are some good points, but I don't think they change all that stuff, there are changes for audio improvement, according to them.

Let me bring a question from other topic. Why Van Damme is using silver between the cooper wire? What could be the proposal of this practice?

The only explanation is for lenght or shielding proprierties, if it isn't for sound
To make money...

I remember reading some marketing research a few years back that concluded that people bought much more of a detergent in a box that had "New" flashed in the top left, or right corner of the box, than of the very same detergent in the normal, unmarked box.

Make of that what you will.

We are suckers for new things even if the "new" things are just the old things; it is all marketing to make cash, to keep the world a turning.

To make money...

I remember reading some marketing research a few years back that concluded that people bought much more of a detergent in a box that had "New" flashed in the top left, or right corner of the box, than of the very same detergent in the normal, unmarked box.

Make of that what you will.

We are suckers for new things even if the "new" things are just the old things; it is all marketing to make cash, to keep the world a turning.

That's a truly good point. But I also think Mogami try "things" to make performance better by reducing noise, etc.

You can't go wrong with 2549, all my interconnects are made from it. Neutrik metal plugs (all XLRs in my system), job's a good 'un. I did try some Mogami 2534 but it didn't sound any different to me.

You can't go wrong with 2549, all my interconnects are made from it. Neutrik metal plugs (all XLRs in my system), job's a good 'un. I did try some Mogami 2534 but it didn't sound any different to me.

I've been listening to Mogami 2549 for a week now. Between cable changes here an there, I compared 2 free cables with 10 years of use and disuse.

I think Mogami goes deep into the low and mid notes, but I feel a hint of general warmth in the auditions.

At first I thought it might be due to the more pronounced bass and midrange, but I went to see stephen king's dr sleep movie adaptation and even the gunshots felt a little smooth.

I know none of this was projected by the house of Mogami, but in my system that's how it presented itself

It's an interesting cable, in some records the macrodynamics are enchanting

For me it would be great if the cable kept these characteristics, but without too much effect on the high notes. I think I'll try Van Damme, too. If it has some of the Mogami depth and sounds like freebies in the high notes I'm satisfied.

Last edited:
Wow. Never would have guessed. My 2549's just let the music flow nicely, and have done for a decade or more. Hard to beat the VFM.

Wow. Never would have guessed. My 2549's just let the music flow nicely, and have done for a decade or more. Hard to beat the VFM.

I was astonished by this one. the guys make a cable just to preserve the high frequencies over long distances from the cabling. Supplies the professional audio industry. so you buy a 0.6 m cable in the innocence of home use and it doesn't have the same treble opening as much more ordinary cables

advertisement

Back