advertisement

Modifying NCC200 boards

Cheers @Richard Lines,
My front end supplies are <40Vdc per rail. :)
I bought some 330uF FR caps and some 120R 1W resistors for the FE so I could regain the lost extra Vbe drop that occurs with the extra transistor on the mirror and the VAS, but decided to go with the resistors / caps on the boards (as they were Elnas) which were fitted when I bought them part built.

PSST... which ones?
and what do they give sound-wise? From the little time I've had so far it is better overall, just lacking a bit in the mids which seem 'softened'.

Andy,

I'd assume KZ Muse's???????? Just taken delivery of 20off from HFC as nobody else seems to actually have any in stock.

Regards

Richard

Last edited:
Yea KZ muse, just sound a bit more dynamic not night and day stuff but better, Ies uses Pany Hg there.The KZ is quite big, I use 100v version.

The KZ is quite big, I use 100v version.

Indeed 16mm diameter over the 10.5mm you might get with 63V devices - you can spend the time determining this kind of stuff when you're stuck on a boat for weeks.......

Pany HG - Panasonic KHG??

Regards

Richard

Got about 20hrs on them now, some listening, some in the background. Was a bit disappoint in that there was a bit of emphasis on crash cymbals that were a bit to much 'tch' and just didn't sound quite right. This was quite clear on early Rush (Hemispheres, Permanent Waves etc) plus there was a bit of suck-out below this which emphasised the problem. Eventually nailed it down to my modded Phillips CD160, as it wasn't there with my Delta170/Bushmaster ii DAC, which sounded more natural, but took a while and a bit of extended listening to each (rather than quick too and fro) to spot. Hadn't noticed this before the change of amps, so there must have been something 'hiding' this to some degree. Probably feedback or psu caps... Anyway, now I've got this sorted, I'm much more positive about the outcome. I'll give it a bit more use and see how we go.

Took the Elnas out. Turns out they are re2j 105C caps, not the standard re2 85C caps. Fitted Panasonic FC 120uF. Initial impressions are rather poor, seem rolled off. In fact Camel, Moonmadness, on track 5, Another Night at the end of the intro there is a piano sound which was almost inaudible with the FCs fitted. I'll give them a little longer to see if they settle in but not promising...
Edit: after 10 hrs total it is settling in. It seems better balanced with the CD160 and a bit of lift to the upper mids at the speaker x'overs.

Last edited:
After putting about 20hrs on the FCs I wasn't happy...something missing in the mid range so I took them out and whilst doing so took out the 0.1 bypass caps too. I broke up a dli socket and removed the turned pins and fitted these so I can exchange caps easily, on the pos rail of each board leaving the FCs in situ on the neg rails. I put the re2j caps and the 0.1 bypass caps in and listened for a bit. Much better, but still just a bit of suck out in the upper mids as before. I removed the 0.1 bypass caps and replaced with some 0.22 Panasonic polyester caps and now have a full bodied mid range. So much so that the low treble seems reduced but this is no doubt due to the much better/fuller mid range. I'll see how this settles before I try some Cerafines, nichicon muse KZs and KAs.

After a few hours of the re2j bypassed with 0.22 I found that the mid was fuller, but suffered some loss of focus for want of a better description so I removed the re2j and replaced with the KAs. These are described as being designed for good bass. By golly, they give a V shaped response with 0.22 bypass, so after about a couple of hours use I upped the bypass to wima mks 0.68uF. This was somewhat better with a flatter overall response, but because I stole these from elsewhere (desoldered) I had to give them some time to settle in as there was a slight loss of focus mid image. Now they have almost fully settled in I'm really rather pleased with the result. A slight edginess is now almost gone and the centre focus is really good. :)
These will get some use over the next few weeks; then I might retry the re2j with 47nF because they were more focused with 0.1 than 0.22 bypass.
The muse KZ and Cerafines have fat lead out wires that don't push into the turned pins :(:mad: Will need to find a method to try these once the above complete...

Last edited:
Yes you probably could, but don't know why you'd want to TBH. NCC220 has 1k for both LTP resistors as this gives a more balanced sound. 22k on the second of the LTP transistors it seems is part of what gives the Naim circuit some of its characteristic sound.

These will get some use over the next few weeks; then I might retry the re2j with 47nF because they were more focused with 0.1 than 0.22 bypass.
The muse KZ and Cerafines have fat lead out wires that don't push into the turned pins :(:mad: Will need to find a method to try these once the above complete...

The Muze KZ in the rail decoupling are very good but as you say the leads are too big for the holes, try Nichicon FG, its what I used in my NCC300s
UFG1J101MPD: 100uF 63Vdc Nichicon FG type Electrolytic Capacitor | HIFICollective £0.48 each
Alan

NOOOO...:D Edit: what bypass are you using with the FGs? These front end caps make a big difference to the overall sound...
Haven't had time to listen unfortunately, wrestling with DIY remodelling the bathroom...barsteward of a job, coupled with indecision. :confused:

Thanks @337alant,
I have Nichicon Muze KZ and Cerafines to try yet (both 100/50V so 12.5mm diam thankfully) if I can find a way to connect them. I was surprised just how much difference these front end caps make to the balance of sound. With the FCs, it was like the timing in the mids was bu99ered up as the middle image was poor/diffuse.

advertisement

Back