advertisement

Mission 774 bearing

Mine was sagging badly. I removed the old and replaced it with black silicon caulk, it turned out not too bad, certainly looks loads better.

Good stuff. There was a thread on here a while back with another method of fixing the sag, can't seem to find it now.

I'm sending mine off to j7 in the morning. While it's gone I should get some screws for the base. Anyone know offhand what size they are?

Fixing the base to the armboard?
I use M4 countersink - didn't have the originals with mine either.

Good stuff. There was a thread on here a while back with another method of fixing the sag, can't seem to find it now.

I don’t know the Mission arm that well so don’t know its construction, but there are some arms with a decoupled counterweight that can be fixed as simply as finding the right diameter/cross-section rubber tubing or ‘o’ rings, certainly some old Thorens, Ortofon, EMT type arms.

Might be a bit late now but worth checking there isn't any of the bias cord (its super thin nylon thread) tangled around the bearing. This can happen if the thread slips out of the guide groove.

Good luck getting it sorted - one of the best arms produced IME and entirely form follows function.

my advice would be to keep the 774 as stock as possible - everything is sourced and designed for good engineering reasons.

Might be a bit late now but worth checking there isn't any of the bias cord (its super thin nylon thread) tangled around the bearing. This can happen if the thread slips out of the guide groove.

Good luck getting it sorted - one of the best arms produced IME and entirely form follows function.

my advice would be to keep the 774 as stock as possible - everything is sourced and designed for good engineering reasons.
Cheers Robert. Does that include the external cable? I was considering replacing that with something more flexible.

As it happens the bias cord was tangled around the bearing and I thought that might be the cause, but no such luck.

Cheers Robert. Does that include the external cable? I was considering replacing that with something more flexible.

As it happens the bias cord was tangled around the bearing and I thought that might be the cause, but no such luck.

IIRC the original external cable was grey and very stiff, mission themselves replaced it with something more flexible as a lot of 774s were ending up on bouncy LP12s and TD160s.

IIRC the original external cable was grey and very stiff, mission themselves replaced it with something more flexible as a lot of 774s were ending up on bouncy LP12s and TD160s.
Yep - the original grey is horribly stiff and the outer insulation is probably cracking up,I would certainly replace it - even more important to have something flexible on a very softly sprung TT like a PT.

I had my 774 rewired and checked out by j7. His is the brass CW, which I've now replaced with the original CW fitted with a couple of sorbothane washers (see the vinyl engine thread linked above).

I replaced the old grey cable with some black Van Damme Pro Grade Classic XKE.

I think is sounds quite special on an LP12.

20170415_185819_zpsj4ltewof by Garf Arf, on Flickr

Thanks for the help with this. Finally got around to fitting it to my TD125 with an AT33EV and I'm really impressed: I didn't think the deck could do detail and imaging, but there it is. Big move up from the RB300 I had on it before, and on the Nima I had before that. On some recordings at least I'd take this combination over my Gyro/FXR. Bit steely in the highs sometime, might experiment with the one paddle it came with to see if that mellows things out a little.

Thanks for the help with this. Finally got around to fitting it to my TD125 with an AT33EV and I'm really impressed: I didn't think the deck could do detail and imaging, but there it is. Big move up from the RB300 I had on it before, and on the Nima I had before that. On some recordings at least I'd take this combination over my Gyro/FXR. Bit steely in the highs sometime, might experiment with the one paddle it came with to see if that mellows things out a little.

Glad you got it going, I've similar findings as yourself. I think anything would be a big move up from an RB300!

My current one isn't in the best cosmetic condition but works perfectly and sounds great. Would be interesting to hear it on some other TTs, which is what might happen eventually.

Glad you got it going, I've similar findings as yourself. I think anything would be a big move up from an RB300!

My current one isn't in the best cosmetic condition but works perfectly and sounds great. Would be interesting to hear it on some other TTs, which is what might happen eventually.

Yep, would like to hear this on the Gyro. I don't really expect it to beat the Funk I have on that but I'm curious enough to invest in an armboard just to be sure. It's transformed the TD125: I thought I had a handle on the deck's sound (big, warm, not very resolving) but I guess I've just been hearing the arms.

advertisement

Back