advertisement

Mission 774 bearing

Seanm

pfm Member
I've just got one of these, and will probably have lots of questions when I get around to setting it up. But for now I'm just assessing it.

It's in really lovely cosmetic condition, but vertical movement seems remarkably stiff: is this the arm's "rigid bearing" design, or is the bearing shot?

There should be no discernible stiffness in any tonearm bearing unless added deliberately via a fluid damping trough. If you are feeling any stiffness in a standard bearing like the 774 it is either damaged or needs a good strip-down and cleaning (old oil can often solidify).

Gah. Thanks Tony. Buyer had apparently just had it serviced by j7 but must only have been the wand, on which the tags have been replaced. Bit surprised though as it really is in mint condition otherwise.

Gah. Thanks Tony. Buyer had apparently just had it serviced by j7 but must only have been the wand, on which the tags have been replaced. Bit surprised though as it really is in mint condition otherwise.

It is almost certainly still serviceable and just needs the bearings cleaning or replacing, i.e. might be worth trying for a discount and sending it to J7 or whoever for a complete rebuild.

I replaced my bearings when I got mine about 25 years ago. I think they were still available from Mission back then, but it was easy enough. They do need to be adjusted for minimum friction, without being loose, IIRC. But it was along time ago. (My wife and I thought it was Monday today, not Tuesday, so don't rely on my memory!)

Is a paddle fitted and getting caught in the trough?
That's what it feels like, and what I thought at first - there is a paddle fitted - but no. But it's that kind of stiff, like something's caught, rather than just not-silky-smooth.
I replaced my bearings when I got mine about 25 years ago. I think they were still available from Mission back then, but it was easy enough. They do need to be adjusted for minimum friction, without being loose, IIRC. But it was along time ago. (My wife and I thought it was Monday today, not Tuesday, so don't rely on my memory!)
It's Tuesday?!

Yes it looks user adjustable - there's a knurled hex bolt that seems to invite meddling, which made me wonder...

Ha, very possible I'm talking about something else then. I'll try to get a picture later.

This is the bolt I mean:

33120478688_e1c343daa1_z.jpg

Back off the bolt a touch - there should be a tiny washer behind it.
It should only be clamping the inner.
You may have to take the cap off the other side.

Thanks very much @Craig B and @cobbers. I'll have a very gentle go at the bolt and then I guess it's off to j7: I've never attempted a bearing rebuild and it would be wrong to start with such a nice arm.

Will be interesting to see what your opinion is when it's up and running. Did it come with the solid counterweight or the one with the dodgy goop in the middle? They usually sag if it's the latter.

Will be interesting to see what your opinion is when it's up and running. Did it come with the solid counterweight or the one with the dodgy goop in the middle? They usually sag if it's the latter.
Will do. How are you liking yours? It's on a Thorens 160, isn't it? Mine's destined for a 125.

It's got the one with the dodgy goop, but there's no sagging, which is one of the reasons I'd prefer not to return it.

Will do. How are you liking yours? It's on a Thorens 160, isn't it? Mine's destined for a 125.

It's got the one with the dodgy goop, but there's no sagging, which is one of the reasons I'd prefer not to return it.

Yes it's on a 160, I like it so far, seems pretty immune to cart requirements considering it's low mass.

Can be an arse to line up though considering to slacken off to shorten/lengthen the wand can also alter the azimuth, but it's not a massive issue.

I'd like to try an MC on it at some point when I've settled on a phono stage.

advertisement

Back