advertisement

Misdirected Amazon deliveries

You're lucky in that at least you're getting the goods eventually!
You are calling them 'Amazon' drivers but in reality most bigger items come via one of the big delivery companies (DPD/YODEL etc) and there's a big difference between them.
Houses in our road are a mix of numbers and names - there's quite a few confusing ones for example there's a 6A and 6B with a no-number house between them. Deliveries seem to work OK though so you may just be very unlucky (or maybe they're doing it on purpose because you've annoyed them ?)

There are three houses with the number two in my road. 2 something parade, 2A and me at 2 . It’s an ongoing PITA but little can be done .The Amazon guys mostly get it and Royal Mail once the postie has learnt it.

Delivery person under massive stress + using their second language = inevitable cock up.

Amazon delivery staff are absolutely hammered. They only get paid for completed deliveries, and have huge amounts of stuff to deliver, hence stuff getting left on doorsteps, chucked over fences etc. House/cottage might translate the same, I know it’s printed there in black and white, but when you’re running around like your arse is on fire trying to finish your duty in time to get home and see your kids before they go to bed, mistakes are going to happen and drop and go is pretty much the only way to get paid.

Amazon are cüntz by the way, just in case anyone was in any doubt.

most delivery couriers these days are now foreign nationals.Unfortunately the days of a regular round driver with and using his/her extensive local knowledge are fast becoming a thing of the past.The only criteria courier companies are interested in now is the cost to deliver.

Our postcode includes houses more than 1/3 mile away with nothing in between so we have had numerous problems with deliveries to the wrong address. What more confusing to the delivery drivers is that our house, built ~1750, is known as the 'Farmhouse' and our neighbour's bungalow, built ~1950, they rather daftly named 'Farm Cottage'; we have no numbers either. In many post code engines we're down as 'Farm', so it's too easy to pick the wrong one.

Best we had was a delivery of bagged cement that ended up at the satnav point for the driver, but not our property. They apparently dropped it off at 6am then did a runner, no invoice or delivery note. It took some time to figure out who it was from, where it should be going to, and additional calls to stop them delivery a 2nd load.

It would be so much better if everyone used 'Just 3 Words'.

CHE

I can’t begin to imagine explaining that to my parents. My mum still doesn’t have an active email address, just a short trail of dead ones that she never used once I left the house after setting it up and showing her how to use it.

confusing at the best of times, irrelevant if your reading English is poor. Stick to numbers, and ban bourgeois house names. Come the revolution all houses with names will be sequestered by the state and turned into covid internment homes

CHE
The problem with "Just 3 words" is there is no reason check. If I send you to 21 Bressingham Gardens, Redditch, and you go to 12, or 23, or Bressingham Close, you are within walking distance. If OTOH I send you to "Trout House Forest" and you get one word wrong (trite, hose, fort) then you are in a field in Gloucester or Aberdeen wondering what the hell to do next.

The problem with "Just 3 words" is there is no reason check. If I send you to 21 Bressingham Gardens, Redditch, and you go to 12, or 23, or Bressingham Close, you are within walking distance. If OTOH I send you to "Trout House Forest" and you get one word wrong (trite, hose, fort) then you are in a field in Gloucester or Aberdeen wondering what the hell to do next.
Three words is ok for emergency services, meeting friends etc. But how would it work for a block of flats? What would it give a delivery guy over postcode and house name/number? Not a lot.

Hi, Mike from Park House here,

I live next door to Peter in Park House and I have my Amazon deliveries marked as 'Deliver to any neighbour if not in' never thought it would be a problem
Only kidding :D

Easy solution, keep the parcels. Amazon and your neighbour will quickly get the message.
It certainly worked for me when I had some shirts delivered to the green bin and I was away with work. My neighbour helpfully put my bins out. A few terse phone calls to Shirt Suppliers Ltd later and I had 3 new shirts, delivered signed for only. Thank you. They didn't do it again. Others have of course. It will happen again.

Easy solution, keep the parcels. Amazon and your neighbour will quickly get the message.

Not always.

We've had an Amazon delivery in our porch since March. It's for a house down the street.

We left them a couple of notes but seems the intended recipients have moved away. I've no idea what's inside, don't feel i should be lifting a finger to help Amazon out but equally don't want to just throw it away when somebody could use the contents.

I've a feeling it is going to become a fixture.

To clarify the point about using simple house numbers rather than"poncy" names, this does't work for us.

We live on a narrow but long country lane surrounded by farmers' fields with properties spaced quite far apart.
Most of these properties are converted or adapted farm buildings which were sold off over many decades, numbering wasn't considered (how would you allocate numbers not knowing which building would be disposed of next, or when?).
The majority of the properties include the word "Park" in their name (although there some exceptions and, yes, one is "The Rookery!). This may of course be considered poncy but in fact the entire area is known simply as "Park" and the name dates back more than 900 years to when, following the Norman Conquest, it was a deer park.

I am aware that delivery drivers have to work insanely hard to deliver all their allocated drops in the working day and this is one reason why I would prefer them to deliver to the correct address first time instead of wasting time delivering to me only to be called back (the dogs alert us VERY quickly to anyone approaching the house so I can usually intercept the courier before he gats back to his van) to be redirected to the correct address.

Since they (only Amazon!) appear to be finding us using their smartphones it make me suspect their is something not quite right with Amazon's navigation app, but how can I tell them so?

Our postcode includes houses more than 1/3 mile away

Only a 1/3 of a mile, you are lucky! My mum's house postcode covers a strip nearly 3 miles long! Despite people being given detailed instructions to ignore the satnav most end up lost.

Postcodes were not designed for navigation. In rural areas there are many anomalies. The satnav will take you to the geographical centre of the postcode. For example in Aberdeenshire there is a group of properties on the outside of a bend in a river. Satnav takes you to the wrong side of the river. It's over 5 miles to get round due a lack of bridges.

Amazon have only failed me once,when they failed to tel UPS what my street name is. What riled me wasn’t that, but the fact they wanted me to contact UPS. Since they’d made the .mistake ,surely they should rectify it ? After all,they’ve had my address and made deliveries to it over many years.

For example in Aberdeenshire there is a group of properties on the outside of a bend in a river. Satnav takes you to the wrong side of the river.

Not a good idea to bank on it then.:)

My postcode, which is pretty small in this suburban area, didn't exist on most couriers' Satnavs for a number of years up to 9 or so years ago. Even my NAC 552 delivery from Naim was to the wrong street on a bank hol. Friday; had to wait 4 days and collect it myself from the depot; I wasn't amused. There were many such occasions with less anticipated items.

Last edited:

Changed. NAC. I get confused between C= control and P = power (not pre.) More so now that all Naim is long gone. My NAT (tuner?) was exchanged for a NAD. Then there was just NA, which stood for ???? All a bit NAF really but this dissertation started with defective Sat NAVs. Oh yes, open reel 10" NABs? NAH ! Only one NA left; an intermittent NAG, but nowt to do with hifi ! :(

advertisement

Back