advertisement

Misdirected Amazon deliveries

peterm

pfm Member
We are consistently getting parcels delivered to us that are addressed to next door.
We don't have house numbers but names, we are Park Cottage and next door are Park House.

Several times a day we get Amazon parcels for next door, sometimes the driver rings the bell and, seeing us approach, places the parcel on the doorstep and "runs away".
Sometimes he opens the front door and places the parcel in the porch, whereupon the dogs (4 big ones) go mad and he runs away even faster.

Occasionally I'm quick enough to interrupt him and tell him it's for next door and point him in the right direction (it's the house that says "Park House" instead of our "Park Cottage" on the sign - Clue?

Last week one of the few drivers that could converse in English argued with me that his smart phone showed the delivery location as "right here" and (too briefly for me to see it) showed me the screen of his phone as if to prove it.

More recently a driver with little conversational english took exception to me pointing out his mistake and to prove his point used his phone to scan the sign next to our letterbox to show he was delivering to the correct address.
The sign reads "beware of the dogs"!

No other courier service seems to be this incompetent.

Anyone know who I can contact to stop this "harassment"?

Last edited:
We are consistently getting parcels delivered to us that are addressed to next door.
We don't have house numbers but names, we are Park Cottage and next door are Park House.

Several times a day we get Amazon parcels for next door, sometimes the driver rings the bell and, seeing us approach, places the parcel on the doorstep and "runs away".
Sometimes he opens the front door and places the parcel in the porch, whereupon the dogs (4 big ones) go mad and he runs away even faster.

Occasionally I'm quick enough to interrupt him and tell him it's for next door and point him in the right direction (it's the house that says "Park House" instead of our "Park Cottage" on the sign - Clue?

Last week one of the few drivers that could converse in English argued with me that his smart phone showed the delivery location as "right here" and (too briefly for me to see it) showed me the screen of his phone as if to prove it.

More recently a driver with little conversational english took exception to me pointing out his mistake and to prove his point used his phone to scan the sign next to our postbox to show he was delivering to the correct address.

easy - either stop ordering from Amazon or move house or get some proper door numbers like everyone else.

I believe there are a number of foreign nationals working as delivery drivers for Amazon, and one of my tenants is such, with virtually no English. The distinction between 'house' and 'cottage' may well be lost. Maybe a big notice indicating that 'this is Park Cottage, not house' or something relevant, might work (he said, dubiously). I also get misdirected mail, but because of the same number, but 'Crescent', not 'Avenue'. and had to put a similar notice outside the porch.

When we moved here four years ago, our pad was one of seven within a hundred yards with ‘Rookery’ in the name. Some were very similar names.

A few months and a hundred quid later, new name for the house, no Rookery in it, no more deliveries for other houses, no more our packages going missing.

And as a part of the deal, any letters addressed to the old name are still delivered to us.

Easy. And easier than any other option we had.

If I was the driver, all I am looking for is "Park".......................................

The fact that there may be two, next door to one another, would NEVER occur to me because NOBODY would do such a **** thing as that.

Change the house name.

I used to live in a house of the same name as another about 2 miles away (Little and Great villages, neither with street numbers - miles from anywhere), wrongly delivered stuff was rare but a PITA. When I sold, I told the new owners to change the name - FAR easier for them.

Delivery person under massive stress + using their second language = inevitable cock up.

Amazon delivery staff are absolutely hammered. They only get paid for completed deliveries, and have huge amounts of stuff to deliver, hence stuff getting left on doorsteps, chucked over fences etc. House/cottage might translate the same, I know it’s printed there in black and white, but when you’re running around like your arse is on fire trying to finish your duty in time to get home and see your kids before they go to bed, mistakes are going to happen and drop and go is pretty much the only way to get paid.

Amazon are cüntz by the way, just in case anyone was in any doubt.

Leave any deliveries not for you on your doorstep.
The real recipient will soon sort it out.

Leave any deliveries not for you on your doorstep.
The real recipient will soon sort it out.

Ha! I don't order much for Amazon, but have a bit more recently, and they've been excellent, except for the last one which was delivered to n°3 instead of us, despite the number on the package being correct. The delivery notification was a mystery until I logged on to find the photo of the delivered parcel outside a door clearly numbered 3.

I nipped round, and there it was !

One day all houses will have QR codes instead of postal addresses. Enjoy the mishaps before drones and robots deliver your dishwasher tablets.

I would like to apologise to the Amazon driver who was ringing the bell and banging on our front door for about 10 mins while we didn't hear him - due to enjoying Strictly final too much..... it was 8.30pm on a freezing wet and windy Saturday, and he still got my mum's desperately needed new microwave oven delivered to us one day after ordering. (she can't use her normal oven due to age and infirmity).

Last edited:
Our house name is visible!

Our road isn’t just a straightforward single line, it has un-named closes that have evolved over time. I certainly wouldn’t want to be No. 137C!

More recently a driver with little conversational english took exception to me pointing out his mistake and to prove his point used his phone to scan the sign next to our letterbox to show he was delivering to the correct address.

Is this a reject script from a Fawlty Towers remake?

OP, Amazon drivers are poorly paid, overworked and, as you have discovered, often not great English speakers. It's not really their fault, and if Amazon were better employers and didn't put so much pressure on them, this might not be so common. Are you not on speaking terms with your neighbours, or something? Only if they're really next door, I realise it's a bit of a chore, but is it really worth getting so het up about?

Perhaps, when you next drop a parcel round, you could suggest that they amend the delivery instructions in their Amazon account, to more clearly show the distinction between their address and yours. It's in their interest, after all. You might not be in, the day something urgent or important arrives for them. You never know, a small note on the 'preferred delivery' options to the effect that 'please do not deliver to Park Cottage, but to Park House, next door', or something, might do the trick.

our pad was one of seven within a hundred yards with ‘Rookery’ in the name.
A few months and a hundred quid later, new name for the house, no Rookery in it,

Easy. And easier than any other option we had.

It's okay for you to crow, Tony, but the raven idiots who named the area are to blame.

A number is meaningless if nobody else in the road has a number.

There again, if you're the only one where your number is up...........:)

There must, surely, be some advantages of working for Amazon. After all, they frequently promote these in adverts. My (Bulgarian) tenant hires his own van at extortionate cost and still manages somehow. It's a pressurised port in a storm, and I hope the Amazon experience keeps momentum when and if things get back to a semblance of normality.

advertisement

Back