advertisement

Mini-Monitor Appreciation Thread

I only use standmounts these days (far more enjoyable sound than those damn Briks)

I currently own JMLabs Micro Utopia Be (not really mini monitors I grant you!), ATC SCM7s and AEIs. All extremely good in their own way and at their own price points....

i used to have a pair of focal 1007be's and absolutely loved them. They did a great many more things right than most other speakers ive ever heard. A slightly over lit treble was the only thing that got me on occasion, but they are reputed to have fixed that with the 1008be's. That being the case they are probably superb

pic.jpg

An old photo from when I first got my Royd RR3. I can't imagine the day these will be bettered (though I live in hope). More info on them here, they seem to rare.

I also use a pair of JPW sonatas on my desk, which look as if they are brand new - really they are rather good.

Remarkable the number of cowboys on eBay flogging cheap minis and linking them to the 3/5a-the only common factor being the size.

A friend had Mordaunt Short Classic 20's in the 90's and they were better in many respects than my 11ohm Rogers 3/5 a's-better speed and dynamics but with same imaging and finess.

It took nearly 60 posts to mention LS3/5as? Remarkable!

'3/5s were the first 'minis' I owned (have owned both Rogers and Chartwell versions) back in the early/mid '90s.

When I got a bigger house, I graduated to NS1000Ms... now I'm in a smaller place again, I'm using KEF XQ10s - http://www.kef.com/gb/loudspeakers/xq/XQ10 .

Not sure if they live up to KEF's claims as 'rightful heirs to the ... LS3/5a' mind you!

Certainly have a good WAF though.

I have both LS3/5a's (Chartwell) and Royd RR3's. Do I win?

Big speakers are JBL 4331B's, currently in the cellar.

JohanR

You probably do!

I just googled your JBLs and they are very impressive. I do want to try some seriously big speakers sometime and they look just the ticket. Having said that, I do have some Goodmans Magisters knocking about somewhere that have yet to be run on the main system, it's just the faff that puts me off. The RR3s are keeping me happy.

I occasionally put my Monitor Audio Monitor 9's on top of my MA R952/MD's for late night listening. I like the tweeters, the same ones in both of these, and as the musical fidelity MC2 and MC4 (1st versions) which is why I bought them. I'm collecting some JPW mini monitors tomorrow. They are the early version (I think) with paper cones which look identical to those in my MA9's. Is there much sonic difference beween these and the later models?

I have a few pairs of these little cuties. Lovely solid aluminium cabinets and much better sound than you'd ever believe without hearing a pair.

http://www.vintagetechnics.info/images/sbf1catalog.jpg

sbf1catalog.jpg

Perfect for throwing into a bag for holiday tunes - but boy, they're heavy for their size!

Not quite a mini, but another wonderful but often overlooked small standmount speaker is the Kef Reference 102.

I also use a pair of JPW sonatas on my desk, which look as if they are brand new - really they are rather good.

they never seem to get mentioned in speaker threads - and I never notice them on ebay - I had them in my first hifi system and thought they sounded great - hifi choice recommended I seem to remember.

advertisement

Back