advertisement

Mini Local Reg'd Mother Board for those 321/729 Cards - Group Buy Interest Check

Us Flat Earthers can't tell the difference anyway!

Correct! :p But I'd bet if you listened to 2 otherwise identical preamps except one had a mono switch and the other didn't ... the one without the switch would sound better. :D

Too many features degrade the sound - just like tone controls & balance pots.

Regards,

Andy

All invoices have been sent - so if you were expecting one and didn't get it apologies, but please email me ASAP - neiljadman (at) comcast.net

Copied over from the Naim Pin thread for completeness:

As a word of caution, the pre board will be set up for the loose pins that are (rarely) available and I'll be supplying Tin plated Nickel pins with the boards - the Nickel pins are very inexpensive. But the pins currently available from Tyco have a second small shoulder on the base and need a 0.078" hole - so that's how I set the boards up. Some of these pins in the plastic strips have a narrower shoulder and will just drop straight through the hole in the board.

I'm still looking for a supplier of the Gold plated pins and if I can find them may offer them as option as they are considerably more expensive than the Nickel pins - like 10x the cost.

I have found a supplier for the gold pins - presuming everyone wants them and I can order 250, my cost is 45c each -$7.20 per board - so if you wish to add them to your order in place of the Nickel pins let me know and I will order them - the only problem is the lead time - at least 8 weeks, so it will either delay shipment of the boards or incur a second shipping charge. And of course if people opt out and the quantity is lower prices go up!

The different pins I have come across are here: Pins

• Left - Currently available Tyco/AMPMODU Pins.
  • Centre - original Naim pin - note the absence of the second shoulder.
  • Right a pin from a current Tyco strip header, the horizontal arms are presumably shaved off during machine mounting.

WOULD IT MAKE MUCH DIFFERENCE?
I CAN WAIT FOR 8 WEEKS BUT IF PEOPLE ARE NOT THAT PATIENT I'LL MAKE DO WITH WHAT OTHER PINKFISHES HAVE DECIDED.
CHEERS

As a "get you going method" you can use the pins from a molex 0.15" pcb header.
Worked perfectly for me.

And BTW, some people think nickel plated phonos sound better than gold plated ones!

Just sent reminders to the 4 who haven't yet paid - I will order boards today.

I'm also having trouble finding the gold pins - the actual lead time quoted was a LOT longer than 8 weeks - so it's back to tin plated Nickel I'm afraid.

Neil, do you have a BoM for the board?

I've just had a look at your photos at the start of the thread and I'm starting to worry that I may have bitten off more than I can chew!

OK, I have sorted gold pins. For a cost of about $7 per board I can source 6 pin headers. The pins remove easily from the headers with a pliers and they fit the board holes perfectly. And you'll have a couple of spare pins.

Neil, do you have a BoM for the board?

I've just had a look at your photos at the start of the thread and I'm starting to worry that I may have bitten off more than I can chew!

Ian, it's a simple build -it's basically 4 TeddyRegs, plus the pins (supplied) and a few 1mm board pins.

You choice of volume pot and the relay and balance pots are optional and can be wired straight through - which is what I suspect most will do.

But I will put a BOM together and email it out to everyone.

OK, I have sorted gold pins. For a cost of about $7 per board I can source 6 pin headers. The pins remove easily from the headers with a pliers and they fit the board holes perfectly. And you'll have a couple of spare pins.

Neil,

I'm good. I already have gold pins from Tyco. Not sure if you got my email about this.

Colin

Colin I did - I don't know which pins you got, the board has 0.067" holes - and of course they are available from stock - so no unnecessary delays.

advertisement

Back