advertisement

Mini Local Reg'd Mother Board for those 321/729 Cards - Group Buy Interest Check

neiljadman

I'm mentioned it in one of the other threads, but one of the things I wanted to try was local regs with the new cards. I toyed with the idea of building the regs on to the cards - but eventually resolved to put the regs on a mother board instead. For one it doesn't make the cards obsolete overnight and second the cards become to big to fit in a 32.5 and maybe a 72 - defeating the purpose.

So I built a prototype and housed it in a tatty old Nac 42 case. Please excuse the messy wring as I lashed this up quickly to check it out. It needs only a single rail power supply and I've run it off a raw 37vDC rail from a SNAPS and 32v from an HP printer supply - with no discernible difference.

As you can see, it uses 4 TeddyRegs (thanks Teddy for agreeing to this offer) - one for each card and has room for a relay (as yet untested) if needed as well as volume and balance pot connections (all wired - no direct attachments) and a tape output take off point.

I have been listening to it for a few days now and local regulation really works - now there's a surprise!

Since the prototype I have sorted a few things, mainly moving the volume pot and some of the input/output points to make wiring it up neater and easier - isn't that what prototypes are for? I have attempted to photo the revised board layout off my screen - it can bee seen here - sort of!

So it's a dead easy drop in to a NAC42 and turns it in to an "uber 72" - using all of the existing wiring. Or it's an easy base for a home built pre using the 32/729 cards. Or it ca be dropped in to any shoe box amp case.

If you'd like to take part in a group buy for the board let me know by email to neiljadman (at) comcast (dot) net.

Obviously pricing depends on quantity - but even with a small commitment it will be no more than $65 piece (including nickel plated Naim style posts) shipped to your door and prices fall rapidly with higher quantities and could go as low as $30 a piece delivered.

And of course if you need the 321 and/or 729 boards to go with it that can be arranged too.

I'll be in the UK for 2 weeks from next week - so we'll see what the interest is and I'll update the post periodically.

Teddy has given his permission for the use of the TeddyRegs in this design and of course it goes without saying that these boards are for personal use only and are not to be used for financial gain.

I'll take one. Could you make space on the cards for fitting truly huge ridiculous polyprop caps, potentially on both sides of the cards. 3cm between the case and the nearest card should do, same with the card pins. ;-)

Having seen the quality of your finished products, how could I possibly resist!
Please put me down for one.
Can I suggest a 5 pin 729 board position and a mono switch?

Can I suggest a 5 pin 729 board position and a mono switch?

You know that has always confused me. If you have a stereo signal why listen in mono? And if it a mono signal it's mono anyway...

I'll take a look but no promises yet...but if everyone wants it...

Oh yes - e-mail sent :)

I'm not bothered about mono switch - mute might be nice though. I will probably build it as a single source unit with no input selector.

Neil.

I'll take a couple please!

Email will be sent on Tuesday.

Whats all the extra components on the motherboard for?

Andrew

The space is for the start up relay if wanted - it could come off altogether, but someone suggested putting it on.

Fine. best to leave it on. Have you includes a Resisitor for the display should you board go into a 72?

Andrew

Will I be able to insert Naim 323 MC boards into this motherboard? Or what way can I use my moving coil boards? I have a Linn Troika etc to consider.
Frank

Frank, there is no provision for hosting phono cards on the board. For my own use I am working on an altogether different phono section which is self regulated nd will be housed externally (or internally inside one of my Linns).

It would not be too difficult to produce a small board to handle Naim phono cards, which could then be built in if needed.

Your solution sounds very interesting. Let us know if you ever make this available to us mere mortals. I was thinking along similar lines as regards local regulation for the 323's but could not figure out how to implement this with the 321/729 boards.

Nice one, Neil. I'll take at least one and I can organise postage in the UK again - assuming you want to go that route.

Regards,

Mus

So far it's looking like the price has dropped to around $50 a board - delivered with the posts....

So far I have the following down for boards...

pretzellogic
ynwoan
sq225917
iamjohnwayne
DubbLinn
Flashgo
flatpopely
Harthold
Gerontius
Mus

Thanks Mus - but I suspect that the quantity involved will make it easer to direct ship - and if the cost per board is under $50 there's no duty to pay anyway.

advertisement

Back