advertisement

Militant Teacher Unions

In 1999/2000 somewhere between 20,000 and 48,0000 died from the flu virus, did the education system close down due to the risk.

Did we choose to stay at home waiting for a safe and effective vaccine.

It's easy to choose when you are on the public payroll and your bank balance is topped up whatever is happening.

I don't see many teachers risking bankruptcy and loosing their homes as many in the private sector will/have.

I tend to agree with these observations.

A way forward has to be determined, in all sectors, on the basis we have no idea when or if a vaccine will be found and a degree of (new) normality has to be arrived at.

I have had no earnings whatsoever in the last 3 months...............

Regards

Richard

When teachers are hired their flexibility and willingness to conform is a major factor. Teachers who aren’t willing or able to do what management demands get pushed into the reserve army of supply staff. That threat is sufficient to keep most of them in line whatever qualms they have about the nature of the job.

From a human resource management point of view it’s an extremely good system. It will be hard to change. Other professions have a similar structure, it has become quite widespread since the days of Regan and Thatcher, one of their most important legacies.
You write unmitigated bollocks.
A full time school staff member cannot be pushed into a “reserve army of supply staff”!

That's true of 90% of all jobs.
Q. Well Mr X, we like your resume, but we must ask, will you be happy to go along with company policy and do the work we ask?
Ans. Get F*****d, ofc not.
OK Mr X, you have the job. Well done.

I did a good teaching job for 40 years but when needed, I allowed my politics free flow. In 6different schools, the management never once suggested I was not free to do as I wished, and most were openly supportive. So were the unions.
In cases of policy, we were always consulted, represented and heard. Most often these consultations resulted in the changes we wanted.
I don't know where you teach, but it isn't my experience at all.
Teach?
I doubt he’s ever been in a classroom.
LOL!

Indeed. I welcome the day, assuming of course the term hasn’t been replaced with ‘fascism’!

They can become persuaded that the reserve army is the only comfortable place for them to be.
No. Many classroom teachers who have decades of quality teaching behind them, will find themselves under capability or disciplinary procedures when they pass 50 years old and bullied out of a job, but any proof that they have been ‘persuaded’ to become supply teachers would amount constructive dismissal

No. Many classroom teachers who have decades of quality teaching behind them, will find themselves under capability or disciplinary procedures when they pass 50 years old and bullied out of a job, but any proof that they have been ‘persuaded’ to become supply teachers would amount constructive dismissal

That’s why I wrote « become persuaded » rather than « be persuaded » They can persuade themselves . . .

I’ll be very interested in your thoughts about that post I made about academy schools.

That’s why I wrote « become persuaded » rather than « be persuaded » They can persuade themselves . . .

I’ll be very interested in your thoughts about that post I made about academy schools.
Sorry, but I couldn’t work out what you’re were saying. I couldn’t work out if you felt it was the teachers who were driving an ethos of educating the kids from poor backgrounds and were being opposed by school management, or the other way around. Also, I have no knowledge of Harris Schools specifically, so can’t comment. I can talk at length about Academies in general, and given just half a chance, often do!

I seem to remember something about a Thatcher legacy, but can’t find it anymore.

EDIT. Thinking about it more, you’re question is a good one. Who and what is the drag on improving education? Is it teachers who are the drag on improving education, or is it government ideology (which is what Academies and Free schools are)? If you’re saying that it’s the teachers at Harris Academy that are the drag, what’s the evidence? If it’s the management, the same question applies.

If you are to continue this line, which many experienced teachers here disagree with totally, maybe you could support your theory by teling us what you teach, where and when. Just so that we know that you are not simply another theoretical revolutionary.

I couldn’t work out if you felt it was the teachers who were driving an ethos of educating the kids from poor backgrounds .

I think that some of them do.

being opposed by school management.

No I didn't mean that, on the contrary. I meant that they are militant in the sense that they see themselves as engaged in vigorous action aimed at improving the educational standards of schools serving deprived areas -- by vigorous action I mean planning, assessment, interaction with families, etc. Vigorous to the point of a calling, a self sacrifice. That's why I said, half ironically, that they are hero warriors.

I think that some of them do.

No I didn't mean that, on the contrary. I meant that they are militant in the sense that they see themselves as engaged in vigorous action aimed at improving the educational standards of schools serving deprived areas -- by vigorous action I mean planning, assessment, interaction with families, etc. Vigorous to the point of a calling, a self sacrifice. That's why I said, half ironically, that they are hero warriors.
I’m sorry, but I’m not sure what you mean. If you mean that teachers are vigorously involved in improving their school, then I’d say that applies to everyone in any given school. And yes they would do that by first and foremost being the best teachers they can be, and in so doing sacrifice a lot of their own time to deliver all the extras.

I wouldn’t call a teacher a hero warrior at all. I’m not sure if it’s supposed to be a compliment or an insult?

I’m sorry, but I’m not sure what you mean. If you mean that teachers are vigorously involved in improving their school, then Imwouod say that applies to everyone in any given school. And yes they would do that by first and foremost being the best teachers they can be, and in so doing sacrifice a lot of their own time to deliver all the extras.

As far as I can see, the Harris people think that LEA provision has sometimes let the working classes down by providing inadequate management and teaching. I think they see themselves as being part of an exclusive select breed of teacher, who has the skills and the commitment to really get results in challenging environments, and to do so without flinching from the workload. Hence, ironically

hero warrior

I am not really sure what the hypothesis of this thread is.

Schools ultimately rely on cooperation between teachers & management to achieve a common goal of educating children.

Government is often seen as interfering in this process, this is an arguable point.

There will be some potential conflict between teachers & management, they have separate unions.

Ultimately such conflicts apply in any workplace.

As far as I can see, the Harris people think that LEA provision has sometimes let the working classes down by providing inadequate management and teaching. I think they see themselves as being part of an exclusive select breed of teacher, who has the skills and the commitment to really get results in challenging environments, and to do so without flinching from the workload. Hence, ironically
An academy will obviously say that LEA provision let’s people down, it’s part of their genesis. But still not sure what evidence you’re basing the rest on?

advertisement

Back