advertisement

Miles Davis

spengenuk

pfm Member
Have always loved the jazz side, Kind Of Blue etc. In A Silent Way is excellent
, struggle with Bitches Brew it's difficult ! Listening to Jack Johnson, wonderful, it's out there but accesable why don't I get Bitches Brew ?

I'd recommend Miles Beyond by Paul Tingen (The Electric Exploration Of Miles Davis 1967-1991). Mostly excellent, it may help you nail Miles' magnificent electric period (especially the brilliant stuff from 1967 to 1975). John Sved in So What (The Life of Miles Davis) also has some interesting insights into this period (often skimmed over by other biographers).

I just hope Columbia release one of their Bootleg Series sets comprising Japan 1975 (you know, the Agharta/Pangea stuff). Apparently, apart from Macero's formal recordings, every concert was recorded from the desk to 2 track Nagra.

Keep working with Britches Brew, but start with the second disc e.g. Spanish Key. It's brilliant! By saying that I think all Miles is brilliant aside from maybe the last couple of Warners years after Tutu. All of the '70s stuff is amazing if a little intimidating on first listen.

Bitches Brew is right up there IMO but I also find it a really difficult to listen to bit like Coltrane's Love Supreme in that respect.

here is a section from John Szwed:

Teo (Macero) sent Ralph Gleason some advance tapes of Bitches Brew, and Gleason, one of Miles' greatest defenders and apologists, mock-complained about them: "No wonder jazz is dead, guys like you are killing it." Teo responded: "I may have killed jazz, but I have established a new kind of music. What have you done lately?" ...... To make sense of this record, listeners would have to abandon their belief in the improvised solo as the apotheosis of jazz. Form would have to be rethought, suspending the weight put on balanced, narrative-like compositions that resolve to well-made endings. If there was form in Bitches Brew, it was through-composed, repetitive, but slowly unfolding - "like Chopin," said Teo.

I struggled with Bitches Brew as well and agree that Tony's suggestion is a good one. I found my way in via sides three and four and still tend to play these the most. You could also start with the albums that immediately preceded BB and were made at the cusp of the transition. In A Silent Way and Filles De Kilimanjaro are two of Miles' greatest albums.

Bitches Brew is right up there IMO but I also find it a really difficult to listen to bit like Coltrane's Love Supreme in that respect.

I 'got' Bitches Brew a long time before I 'got' any Coltrane - take Tony's advice re "Spanish Key", that's the one to get you into the album.

spengenuk
For the price of a couple of pints, try the Bitches Brew Live CD. The excitement of that album, particularly from track 4 which is the Isle of Wight 1970 appearance, could well turn a corner for you in 'getting' this stuff.
Enjoy
Mick

I saw Miles Davis at the 1970 Isle Of Wight Music Festival. The Bitches Brew set played by Keith Jarrett, Chick Corea, Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette and the others, was fantastic.

The only other time I saw him was in the late '80s at Hammersmith Odeon and the music was good but a bit ... tame.

Jack

That must have been something.

Re the OP, check out Agharta, Pangaea, Dark magus and the Cellar Door Sessions.

The former 3 are dark brooding psychedelic turbulent heavy electric jazz, almost anti-music. The Cellar Door Sessions are four to the floor jams that are the closest he got to Jimi Hendrix's pelvic wig-outs and are worth it if only for the transcendental rhythm section and Keith Jarrett's incredible one chord electric keyboard vamps.

I should spend more time with Bitches Brew, but have always thought this period of Miles is best served in a live context.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Live Evil. I find I enjoy listening to it slightly more than Bitches Brew. It's got so much energy!

And 'On The Corner' is definitely worth the time investment IMO.

My 'fave' is Live at the Filmore East March 7, 1970.

Starts with Directions and then into Spanish Key. Got me the first time...maybe try that?

Are there any great live performances of 'In a Silent Way' worth having? In terms of both performance and sound quality?

Another vote for Spanish Key being the most accessible track on Bitches Brew for beginners. If you like that one the other stuff will grow on you.

BTW in the Michael Mann movie Collateral there is a Jazz Club Scene where Spanish Key is running while some actors pretend to play it live.

Are there any great live performances of 'In a Silent Way' worth having? In terms of both performance and sound quality?

Not quite live but if you get the "In a Silent Way" box, you get full unedited recordings of the sessions that Teo heavily edited as well as earlier takes / run throughs.

I still have both feet firmly planted in acoustic Miles territory. The only electric Miles I have is the Panthalassa remix project. Is BB the place to start with electix Miles or are there more friendly doors to open?

I still have both feet firmly planted in acoustic Miles territory. The only electric Miles I have is the Panthalassa remix project. Is BB the place to start with electix Miles or are there more friendly doors to open?

I'd recommend "In a Silent Way" - a slightly gentler sound.

advertisement

Back