advertisement

Miles Davis

The thing with Bitches Brew is it can in many ways be seen as the centre / hub of Miles's electric stuff, e.g. stick a pin in the map for Bitches Brew and from there you can go more blues-rock with Jack Johnson, more ambient with In A Silent Way, more intense out there and free with Agharta / Pangaea, more funky with say On The Corner, or even more Krautrocky with Get Up With It. BB is the one in the middle for me. It is one I return to very often.

Haven't spun this in awhile, thanks guys for the thread! :)

k30m.jpg

Lots of love for 'Silent Way', I'm pretty sure that was my first Miles Davis album. It's a 1977 pressing so was likely purchased around that time.

Interested in others first introduction to this artist?

Funny how Miles Davis albums were put together, check out the 4 minute mark of this interview with Teo Macero.

[YOUTUBE]http://youtu.be/2yK6kXSqB2k[/YOUTUBE]

My first introduction was the second hand record shop at Newcastle University in 1972. I traded my John Mayall Turning Point album and £2 for Kind of Blue and Get Yer Ya Yas Out. Subjective views about John Mayall aside, you might wonder why I would sell a nearly new album but that was the norm then. The only way to hear new music was to absorb then sell on and try summat else. The few exceptions to that rule included Hendrix albums (which I retain and still play).
Anyway, back on topic, I was a little bemused by KoB. (Obviously) that album didn't square with what I'd heard about his (then) current output and I think I sold it on as something my parents might have liked.
Fast forward 40+ years and I have just about everything available except the Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel and the Complete Montreux sessions.

It took me 30 years to appreciate much jazz, all of a sudden it clicked, and MD is up there. Why so many years without?

There is a switch inside all of us that clicks when we have consumed a pre-determined quantity of whisky. When that switch is activated it becomes necessary to drink whisky whenever listening to jazz.
This is accompanied by becoming generally over-sentimental, melancholic, over-emotional and over-sensitive. People end up liking you more, but you are permanently depressed.
This is what jazz is all about.
:)
(Either that or I am describing alcoholism)

There is a switch inside all of us that clicks when we have consumed a pre-determined quantity of whisky. When that switch is activated it becomes necessary to drink whisky whenever listening to jazz.
This is accompanied by becoming generally over-sentimental, melancholic, over-emotional and over-sensitive. People end up liking you more, but you are permanently depressed.

Yes, yes. That switch kicked in about 10 years ago when, as I said in the Music Matters thread, I stopped chasing HiFi and switched to chasing Jazz. I suspect chasing HiFi would have been less expensive...

I've always loved Jazz but didn't really know that I loved it but I've been listening to it my entire life and didn't realise but now that I do I'm completely hooked.

Great book out there if your into photography and Jazz.

The Jazz Loft Project/Photographs And Tapes Of Eugene W Smith from 821 Sixth Avenue 1957-1965/Sam Stephenson.

I love Monk BTW, man was a genius.

http://www.jazzloftproject.org/

I played Milestones this morning. The original release was mono and a rechanneled stereo. Believe the only true stereo mix on vinyl is the recent Mobility Fidelity reissue. Any have it? Opinions?

I'm assuming this used the stereo masters from the complete Miles / Coltrane legacy CD's?

My mistake, I meant Music On Vinyl.

http://www.musiconvinyl.com/catalog/miles-davis/milestones-stereo

Anyone have this one or Music On Vinyl releases in general?

I have about nine of their releases, most of them are rare to find on vinyl and likely digitally sourced from the start. My most recent is Chris Whitley - "Living with The Law". Older stuff is also likely sourced from high res digital with very few exceptions. The quality of product for what it is is very good but pricey in the US. I hate to keep referring to the Hoffman forum but that is the repository for most of this info.

Here's a thread that discusses the label, my guess is that their Milestones is digitally sourced if it's stereo.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/music-on-vinyl-records.310290/

On a different note, saw the movie 'Finding Forrester' this morning, a movie starring Sean Connery which contains a lot of cool MD music. A very good movie IMO.

Yes, confirmed alcoholic status. But then Chet Baker turned out some pretty good stuff when either pissed or stoned, of both.

advertisement

Back