advertisement

Miles Davis Complete Sessions Box Sets being Reissued

Didn’t know they had Cellar Door - definitely get it, it’s literally awesome.

Got mine at a reasonable price because it had (and has!) a thick layer of nicotine coating it. Never seen anything like it: previous owner must have been an actual 1950s jazz musician.

Interested in peoples thoughts on the Warner box set - The Last Word. Apart from Tutu I've never really bothered with these later recordings. Am I missing something?

Interested in peoples thoughts on the Warner box set - The Last Word. Apart from Tutu I've never really bothered with these later recordings. Am I missing something?

They are the tail end of a legend career and very much of their time, but I’d still get it if you have most of the rest of his catalogue, and definitely if you like Tutu.

Amandala is of a similar level and feel to Tutu, Siesta rather more stripped down and quite atmospheric, Dingo a soundtrack to a movie I’ve never seen (I can’t remember much about it to be honest), Aura rather interesting in an almost ECM meets ambient type way, and the much hated Do Bop is actually way better than people give it credit for being a precursor for a lot of ‘90s ‘acid jazz’, albeing with some rather poor rap now and again (not Miles!). It has some great grooves. The rest are a few live bits ‘n’ bobs including an acoustic set with Quincy Jones (which Miles didn’t want to do as he prided himself on never looking backwards, so feels like a bit of an obligation for a friend). The rest being Marcus Miller-era live content. I do dig my copy out for a spin now and again, though I’m an oddball who actually bought Tutu when it came out and I’m pretty sure it was my first Miles Davis album, maybe even my first jazz album. I know a lot of people hate this phase of his career, but for me that’s way too harsh, it’s still way better than the majority of electric ‘80s jazz fusion.

Correction: Aura is Columbia, not WB, so not in that box. It came out around that time though and is worth a listen.

PS If you haven’t already got it don’t overlook We Want Miles on Columbia, that is an early live Marcus Miller-period album and kind of acts as a bridge from the really visceral ’70s funk, it is a great album with some superb bass work from Miller.

Correction: Aura is Columbia, not WB, so not in that box. It came out around that time though and is worth a listen.

PS If you haven’t already got it don’t overlook We Want Miles on Columbia, that is an early live Marcus Miller-period album and kind of acts as a bridge from the really visceral ’70s funk, it is a great album with some superb bass work from Miller.

Great tip - thanks. Not an album I have - I’ll check it out on Qobuz. I definitely lost my way with Miles after On The Corner.

In which case you have a lot of truly top-level material to explore, e.g. Get Up With It, Agharta, Pangea etc. Those really are essential IMO.

In which case you have a lot of truly top-level material to explore, e.g. Get Up With It, Agharta, Pangea etc. Those really are essential IMO.
Especially Agharta and while you’re at it McCoy Tyner - Atlantis is a must! Heavy man!
Hang in there, stay with it, the rewards are absolutely mega :D Agharta first then Atlantis for some light relief ;)

Especially Agharta and while you’re at it McCoy Tyner - Atlantis is a must! Heavy man!
Hang in there, stay with it, the rewards are absolutely mega :D Agharta first then Atlantis for some light relief ;)
I’ve got Agharta - a nice original UK pressing and I’ve just added Atlantis to my Qobuz favourites - will check it out later today

I’ve got Agharta - a nice original UK pressing and I’ve just added Atlantis to my Qobuz favourites - will check it out later today
Great, I can’t get Tyners piano rhythms out of my head (thankfully!) but all the musicians put in a phenomenal performance. I keep forgetting I’ve got Qobuz facility, I must sign up.

Where do you source these from. I found some on scAmazon but the price incl postage is silly

There are many clones on eBay, e.g these. I can’t remember what brand mine are, but some generic rather than real Nagaokas. Annoyingly the ones I have are too tall to fit in most modern card packaging, e.g. the Miles boxes, so I have to trim each one down to get it to fit. Took quite a while pruning all the sleeves for the Miles boxes.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back