advertisement

Miles Davis Complete Sessions Box Sets being Reissued

Yay! \o/

I have been waiting to complete my set for ages now (I need Bitches Brew, On The Corner, and Seven Steps).

I wish I’d bought that. I cringed at the price, but in hindsight it would be an appropriate place to keep some of the greatest music ever made. Some stuff really is worth paying a bit to own.

I've got a few of these, the second quintet set gets played the most.
Would be interested in the Gil Evans set.

Got most of them in the daft arse tall packaging..need Silent Way, Johnson, On the Corner and brew...would be nice (Pokemon stylee) to catch ‘em all

Im lucky enough to already have a few of these - On The Corner, Seven Steps, 65-68 Quartet in a long box. Those prices look very reasonable.

Can't see The Complete Plugged Nickel there ( or Cellar Door which I already have) which is the box I really want. Hopefully the compete live sessions will be next.

Has anyone placed an order yet? I’d be interested to know the final price of ‘On the Corner’ including delivery (and factoring in the likelihood of being stung for duty and VAT.)

The FAQs suggest that duty is not applicable in the EUCU (which I think means us at the moment) if the goods come from inside the EU rather than the US. That goes without saying, but it doesn’t explain how you are meant to determine their origin.

Has anyone placed an order yet? I’d be interested to know the final price of ‘On the Corner’ including delivery (and factoring in the likelihood of being stung for duty and VAT.)

The FAQs suggest that duty is not applicable in the EUCU (which I think means us at the moment) if the goods come from inside the EU rather than the US. That goes without saying, but it doesn’t explain how you are meant to determine their origin.

I was hoping that Sony will make them available to retail but I checked on Amazon and they aren't listed yet. Got a horrible feeling that, initially at least, these may be restricted to the US Miles Davis Store which would be a bit of a bummer (although the only one I haven't got is the Complete Seven Steps which I can probably live without).

Actually these have been available on the Presto music site for quite a while in download format mp3 or 16-44.1. Cost is related to length, which is why In A Silent Way is AUD ( my native currency...) 41 3hours 30 mins and On the Corner is AUD98 6 hours 40 mins.
https://www.prestomusic.com/jazz/search?search_query=Miles+davis+complete+sessions
Good value nonetheless. I picked up On the Corner some time ago, when the Australian dollar was stronger...

regards,

Giles

They’re going hard sell with it. I signed up for notifications a got an ad for the Complete Gil Evans the next day with the full “limited availability / time limited”’sctick. Goodness but they flog the Miles Davis cash cow in a way they never did when he was alive. Makes me only want to buy old editions on eBay

Any idea if these are general release or just via the Miles site? I’m actually tempted to stick an order in there as I really don’t want to miss out a second time even if I get punished for import duty, shipping etc.

Whatever my reservations I’ll do that as soon as Plugged Nickel gets reissued

I’m missing Complete Plugged Nickel too and would have that for sure if it reappeared. I think that’s the only Columbia one I’m missing now (I’ve got Cellar Door).

Cellar Door is almost unbelievably good.

I've been trying to do my bit during the crisis and not place unnecessary strain on delivery services but I've decided that it's socially very important that I have the On The Corner set. Lots of people will benefit as the result of my improved mood. Maybe I should get the 7 Steps one too. But is it worth it?

IME the "expanded" sets all do very different things. IASW is like the same album unfolded or magnified. It really is incredible. Jack Johnson feels like more of the same album - which is obviously a good thing. Bitches Brew is most like a conventional original-plus-some-bits-and-pieces set. Obviously still good, but IASW and JJ are very special, OTC too from what I've heard of it.

Sod it, I’ve just ordered the three I need (OTC, Seven Steps and BB). Not worth taking the risk of missing out!
Tony, do you remember the postage charge? I’d like to get OTC and SS, but as it seems to me that there is no duty to pay if the total of goods and shipping is less than £135 (only VAT) I’d like to keep below that.

I bought Plugged Nickel on eBay a few months ago. I’m afraid (whispers) I’m not that fond of it... the last three CDs in the set were shrink-wrapped when I bought it, so I guess the seller felt the same. They still are. I’ll get my coat.

Tony, do you remember the postage charge? I’d like to get OTC and SS, but as it seems to me that there is no duty to pay if the total of goods and shipping is less than £135 (only VAT) I’d like to keep below that.

I bought three items and shipping was either $61 for really fast, or $16 for not, I went for the latter. I got hit for $207 in total, so I’ll no doubt get battered by tax (unless Customs are all furloughed as ‘non-essential’)!

advertisement

Back