advertisement

Miles Davis Complete Sessions Box Sets being Reissued

When I bought the Genius of Miles trumpet case set with all the box sets inside, I somehow got charged for two sets. They were posted from some big Sony warehouse in KT or PA I think, and I got no customs charges. Fortunately was able to sell the spare one right away and got my money back. I think generally the charges only apply if the order is over about £25.

According to that £200 landed. I can live with that given OTC was well over £100 second hand on its own!

My order turned up safe and sound today, placed at an appropriate social distance on my doorstep by my post-woman without any demand for import duty etc...\o/ Listening to disc 1 of On The Corner now...

PS Looking at these I see no obvious evidence that these are reissued and they certainly aren’t listed at Amazon, no 2020 dates anywhere. Are they maybe a stash of NOS ones just sold via the US MD store? I can’t see them re-tooling for the very expensive packaging etc unless they were going to be selling everywhere. Plus on two of mine the glue holding the decorative metal spines has come unstuck which suggests it may be fairly old (would be very easy to fix).

I’m not missing much now:

49973539052_2497d7c813_b.jpg

To my knowledge that’s all the Prestige albums, all the Columbia and all the Warners. I haven’t got Complete Live At The Plugged Nickel, but that’s the only one of that lot. I’ve got the Blue Note Vol 1 & 2 on vinyl and I think CD too along with Birth Of The Cool, plus Adderley’s Somethin’ Else, so there are a few very early pre-Prestige albums I’m missing, e.g. his stuff as a sideman with Charlie Parker etc. Certainly got most of it! Complete On The Corner was the big omission until today as that really is one of my favourites.

OK, I’ve taken the plunge and ordered On The Corner and Seven Steps. With postage that comes to £133.67 at today’s rate, so I shouldn’t have to keep my fingers crossed regarding import duty (kicks in at £135.)

I was even offered a 15% discount for signing up to the mailing list (small print: Does not include media) which makes it about as much use as a Krusty the Clown gift cheque (small print: Cheques will not be honoured) unless you want a Miles Davis Face Mask. As I couldn’t really see a good reason for having a Miles quote written across my gob I decided to pass on that. No bother, I’m happy with the full price, especially as they say a portion will go towards stocking food banks.

Seriously that 15% isn’t off any music? That’s rubbish!
Seriously. I entered the code I was emailed, ‘welcome 15 applied’ appeared and the price dropped... by nothing at all. But as I say, no problem, it wasn’t going to make a difference to whether I bought or not. I just wish they wouldn’t bother...

I have to admit I went back and bought the rest as they are some of my very favourite and most-played things and I’ve always wished I had a full row of originals! Having a record shop means swapping them out won’t actually cost me that much. I’ve always kicked myself for not buying the limited edition ‘trumpet’ case set and this is a way to get the contents. Money just doesn’t matter when it comes to Miles!

I’ve always kicked myself for not buying the limited edition ‘trumpet’ case set and this is a way to get the contents.
There is a sweepstake on the website in which you can win one! Hooray!

(Small print: contestants must be resident in the USA. Or Canada. Er, but not Quebec.) Boo!

Looking at these I see no obvious evidence that these are reissued and they certainly aren’t listed at Amazon, no 2020 dates anywhere. Are they maybe a stash of NOS ones just sold via the US MD store?
I’m guessing carbon dating wouldn’t be quite accurate enough?

I’m guessing carbon dating wouldn’t be quite accurate enough?

One big clue is the Bitches Brew had the original shrink-wrap ‘Miles 75 Anniversary’ sticker (2001). Why would they go to the trouble to recreate that for a 2020 reissue?

One big clue is the Bitches Brew had the original shrink-wrap ‘Miles 75 Anniversary’ sticker (2001). Why would they go to the trouble to recreate that for a 2020 reissue?
Seems unlikely that they would, doesn’t it. I’ve been trying to find out who the company behind the MD store website (musictoday.com) actually are. It looks like they are primarily merch retailers who also look after business for zappa.com. They have been owned by a multitude of different people over the years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musictoday

I got the Bitches Brew and On The Corner - took the best part of a month to arrive but in these strange times not bad and shipment was trackable. Didnt have to pay duty but think I might have got lucky.

The collector in me fancies the whole metal spine series (I have 3 so far) and the trumpet case thing would have been mine but didnt offer a UK shipment price when it came out as I recall.

advertisement

Back