advertisement

Mike's speaker thread

Yer what I mean is, have you directly soldered the capacitors to the inductors to the resistors to the binding posts and instead of soldering each component to the printed circuit board as that can improve the sound potentially.

Ah, I see what you mean now, you were asking if it had all been done with 'point to point' wiring.

The crossover circuit for the woofer has been done like that but for the mid and tweeter the PCBs are used.

Mike - genuine thanks for that.

I've been tempted to take the wire-wool and Danish to the 'Briks a couple of times, but held off in case it was a disaster and I had no backup plan. Although a bit of a daunting prospect, it sounds like re-veneering is perhaps doable for a layman like me, if it all goes horribly astray. I think I'll risk breaking out the wire-wool and see what happens. Thanks again for the guide.
Alan

Sounds like you might as well give the Danish oil and wire wool a try first.

But that's assuming the Briks aren't lacquered? If they're lacquered then a light sanding and re-lacquering might be the ticket.

For the Danish oil- use fine (000 or 0000 grade) wire wool to apply the Danish oil and rub with the grain until a 'slurry' develops. Wipe off the excess and see what you've got.

Mike - apologies for taking the focus off your build thread. I'm far from knowledgeable on the wood front: it looks to me like the large panels on the sides, back and base of the Briks are veneered mdf (or similar), with a gloss or satin surface.
Is light sanding/relaquering an option there do you think - or would that be a practical option for solid woods ?

Mike - apologies for taking the focus off your build thread. I'm far from knowledgeable on the wood front: it looks to me like the large panels on the sides, back and base of the Briks are veneered mdf (or similar), with a gloss or satin surface.
Is light sanding/relaquering an option there do you think - or would that be a practical option for solid woods ?

I'm no authority on the subject either Alan but applying Danish oil onto a lacquered or varnished surface isn't going to work as far as I know. So, if your Brik's have a lacquered/varnished finish you seem to have three options:

1) Remove the lacquer/varnish to expose the wood veneer underneath before oiling.
2) Lightly sand back to a smooth finish and then re-lacquer.
3) Completely re-veneer them.

Why not ask the question to a wider audience in a new thread? I'm sure there must be people here who've refinished Brik's.

If you fancy doing them in oak veneer let me know, I've got some spare to sell. ;)

Inspired by cooky1257 and his Tannoy 'New Yorks' thread I thought I'd have a go at using an app to make some basic measurements of my speakers.

I've really no idea what I'm doing and these measurement have been taken with my phone so they are likely to be rather crude!

Sweep recorded from my listening chair:
11_Dec_2017_07_55_34 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Pink noise recorded from my listening chair:
11_Dec_2017_07_58_55 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Sweep recorded circa 1m from speakers front:
11_Dec_2017_08_08_49 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

I used this website for the noise generator:
http://onlinetonegenerator.com/frequency-sweep-generator.html

And this app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vuche.asap&hl=en_GB

Hi, old thread but I purchased these speakers from Mike several years ago.

I was always a bit underwhelmed by these when I got them home. I thought they should have been the last speakers I ever bought. I’d run them with various amp combinations over the last few years and I always thought they were too big for the sound they produced and eventually I went back to a set of Focals. I half heartedly listed them a couple of times on eBay but didn’t really want to sell them. After a bit of a mishap with my Adcom power amp, I got hold of a quad 606 which was serviced and recapped before being put to use. I decided that I needed to make my mind up and sell the AOS’s if I wasn’t going to use them. I thought I’d give them one last proper listen. To my surprise they seemed to really like the 606. I thought that I’d try them with a second 606 (one to drive the huge ATC bass drivers and one for mid and top duties). I looked for one but all I could find was over priced untidy ones or absolute junk. Being impatient I started to look at other options. I found a pair of Meridian 557 which I just had a feeling about given their huge power capabilities when run as mono blocks. Skip forward a few days and I had them in the system with the AOS’s and was really quite astounded at how it controlled them. They were now doing what I knew they were capable of all along. So to the point of the post several years after the last post here.....
I decided they needed another makeover. This time to bring them right up to date. Purely cosmetic. Lots of stripping and prepping later they went off for paint!!

Here’s a few pics of the final results

!!sorry struggling with pics from google album and I can’t just put a link to the shared album as it thinks it’s spam!!

Hope you like what I did with them

OK lets try again with the pictures!

51138649362_68678d8627_k.jpg

51140429475_02f5a3072f_k.jpg

51138649357_8fb4797aff_k.jpg

51140101174_7aa3c59632_k.jpg

51139540113_0b910e90cd_k.jpg

Full album with the stripping and prep is here.....
https://photos.app.goo.gl/f1QUkZP6mV19Y8Fg9

I'm really pleased to see this, it has made my day. They look great! Well done!

Awesome speakers those. Although I'm happy with my big Tannoys I do still miss them.

I'm really pleased to see this, it has made my day. They look great! Well done!

Awesome speakers those. Although I'm happy with my big Tannoys I do still miss them.

Glad you approve! I must admit I'm really happy with them now. So glad I didn't move them on!

Either they are toys in a doll's house or that's one Big Mutha Fvckin' TV!

lol! Yeah its a big screen for sure! I had the projector running when I took the photos ;)

Ok, so I guess I wasn’t done with these.

After a mechanical tweeter mishap, I looked back at the details Mike had provided me and the info here.

I ended up reaching out to Axel at AOS and although the model is long retired and the information no longer on his website, he shared the xover design for the MK IV and ultimate version of these beasts.

I ended up changing both the mids and the tweeters as well as adjusting the xovers to suit. Axel at AOS supplied all the parts which included scan speak Beryllium illuminator tweeters on rectangular plates like the originals, scan speak revelator mids and crossover parts which are a complete rework of the mid and treble sections.

what I am left with is definitely the last pair of speakers I’ll ever buy! Truly awesome!

H2o6MPkfjDlXJXfQHRolqU0QoCpRWU5aBBMUzI3ZpnwpFr6KoTyi6P9y9HgA0D0WqZ8Y9Y5148BdSO_peRg=w780-h1040-no

FDo7DorepbZUk8H0f1PMl-BYEYCTod_QBYpV2v2ZEM_pxiXxYJYXjIQeozepfv6bkSFucimTmXhNu8jPHJM=w780-h586-no

sOEDNzwqPxcNx5iRUn9dwIUBF5QFxfOeSmmpGD-yTXwcqKSud0FsO3Oh7rI8pcQzYPsHdJ65gpIgNdW3RIw=w780-h1040-no

1x4swuHnwLphbMWW2LjiwQLNsA_wKlxoGqRoEWcdwyd6BoIL--XRLhPE6ho6kPCiyQ45BycBOPDv11toiDU=w780-h586-no

advertisement

Back