advertisement

Mike & Dave's Hi-Fi Riff YouTube Channel.

I felt the same at first. Poor production values and too little preparation. But, you have to catch the vibe. They maunder on and go off at a tangent and you are invited along for the chat. They aren't taking it too seriously and you shouldn't either it's, a complete antidote to people like Darko who take themselves, very, very seriously indeed.
Did you see how outrageously priced that new Cyrus amp was? Six freaking large with the power supply. I personally can't see Cyrus selling anything at those prices.
I agree the power supply cost is baffling - I'm the owner of a i7-xr which I highly rate, so was keen to get the gen on the i9 but they spoilt it - they don't come across as being knowledgable and I get what they are trying to do, but I find them lacking charm.

I agree the power supply cost is baffling - I'm the owner of a i7-xr which I highly rate, so was keen to get the gen on the i9 but they spoilt it - they don't come across as being knowledgable and I get what they are trying to do, but I find them lacking charm.

Which reviewers do you watch/read?

S.

Which reviewers do you watch/read?

S.
I don't have any regulars - can't remember the name (Passion for Sound), but I sometimes catch an Australian guy who tends to look at cables and so on. Also, 'A British Audiophile' . Used to catch the stuff from Joshua Valour and a guy called something like Metal 5/69 - both with a focus on headphones - this last person was an essential watch, but one day he just walked away from YouTube.

You do know who David Price is ?
Yep, he's been around since the early 80s. Didn't he contribute to Hi Fi Choice - I found his written stuff to be very good, but not this channel. If others like the presentations then that is all to the good, but it simply doesn't grab me. My loss entirely!!

Yep, he's been around since the early 80s. Didn't he contribute to Hi Fi Choice - I found his written stuff to be very good, but not this channel. If others like the presentations then that is all to the good, but it simply doesn't grab me. My loss entirely!!
There's absolutely nothing wrong with that at all, it would be a very boring world if we all agreed. Although I'm sure he's forgotten more than most of use will ever know.

I don't have any regulars - can't remember the name (Passion for Sound), but I sometimes catch an Australian guy who tends to look at cables and so on. Also, 'A British Audiophile' . Used to catch the stuff from Joshua Valour and a guy called something like Metal 5/69 - both with a focus on headphones - this last person was an essential watch, but one day he just walked away from YouTube.
A British Audiophile is a good watch, although I tend to lose interest in all the streamers he reviews.

I get that. You are dissatisfied because you were looking for a 'proper' review and that isn't what is provided on Riff. You get a brief overview and a good deal of banter and chat.
The charm thing is funny, because I find them both amusing and possessed of a good deal of charm. I wonder if you could name any YouTube hifi reviewers with any more charm? I'd perhaps put Steve Guttenburg forward but can't think of anyone else.

I happen to know where there are two working models, not sure whether all the lettering though is still in place though.

Drill holes in the side a put a fan in to move some air around was one way to make them last a little longer.

This man knows a thing or two about them: https://www.markhennessy.co.uk/mf_a1/

I think only the early ones had solid sides. Mine certainly came with perforations. I loved mine. It had a clean, liquid quality in the mids and treble that really set it apart, to my ears - although it really didn't have much grip and drive at the bottom end. It went beautifully with my Gale 301s, and the combo looked good too.

They did tend to overheat, sooner or later. I also witnessed one go bang in a shop, which is never a good sales strategy.

Lazy cut and paste.

David started his career in 1993 writing for Hi-Fi World and went on to edit the magazine for nearly a decade. He was then made Editor of Hi-Fi Choice and continued to freelance for it and Hi-Fi News until becoming StereoNET’s Editor-in-Chief.

A British Audiophile is a good watch, although I tend to lose interest in all the streamers he reviews.
Yes, I really only watch when I am thinking of buying something, or want to see an opinion on a new release such as the recent Arcam stuff which is tempting at the price level that I prefer to consider. I guess that I may need to give Hi Fi Riff another chance.

I really like Mike and Dave’s videos, especially when reviewing 80-90’s vintage gear. Dave sure knows about the stuff.
Don‘t know about handling all those components sitting down on a sofa (maybe around the table could improve things) but it is fun to watch nevertheless.

I get that. You are dissatisfied because you were looking for a 'proper' review and that isn't what is provided on Riff. You get a brief overview and a good deal of banter and chat.
The charm thing is funny, because I find them both amusing and possessed of a good deal of charm. I wonder if you could name any YouTube hifi reviewers with any more charm? I'd perhaps put Steve Guttenburg forward but can't think of anyone else.
Yes, charm is quite subjective - though you must agree that A British Audiophile clearly has charm and you would hate to argue against him in person... I also reckon that Darko exhibits charm with that relaxed style of presentation - I guess I'm not into the Skinner and Baddiel approach to equipment.

I really like Mike and Dave’s videos, especially when reviewing 80-90’s vintage gear. Dave sure knows about the stuff.
Don‘t know about handling all those components sitting down on a sofa (maybe around the table could improve things) but it is fun to watch nevertheless.
Dave the Tweeter stroker and Mike the socket botherer! 😂

Yes, charm is quite subjective - though you must agree that A British Audiophile clearly has charm and you would hate to argue against him in person... I also reckon that Darko exhibits charm with that relaxed style of presentation - I guess I'm not into the Skinner and Baddiel approach to equipment.
Darko is charming? He verges on dour and occasionally tells his audience off for asking questions in the comments section.
Then their is Tarun from a British Audiophile who is so dull, I can't get to the end of one of his reviews.
Each to their own.

Darko is charming? He verges on dour and occasionally tells his audience off for asking questions in the comments section.
Then their is Tarun from a British Audiophile who is so dull, I can't get to the end of one of his reviews.
Each to their own.
try listening to the fella from 'cheshireaudio'. It's like listening to the internal monologue of a dementia patient.

try listening to the fella from 'cheshireaudio'. It's like listening to the internal monologue of a dementia patient.
I actually quite enjoy his videos and after watching him for several years i emailed him about trading in my Lyra against a more affordable Audio Technica. Both models he sells so I was certain it would be a good deal for both of us, despite sending him 2 emails he never replied back so now whilst I still watch his videos they no longer get the 'like'.

Each to their own.
I must admit I’m not a fan of Darko although the crazy audiophile in me tends to begrudgingly watch them! 😂

I actually quite enjoy his videos and after watching him for several years i emailed him about trading in my Lyra against a more affordable Audio Technica. Both models he sells so I was certain it would be a good deal for both of us, despite sending him 2 emails he never replied back so now whilst I still watch his videos they no longer get the 'like'.
That will teach him! (I'm laughing but I'm prone to the same behaviour)

advertisement

Back