advertisement

Midrange help needed

Dayvan cowboy

pfm Member
Straight of the bat I’ll admit my speakers are too big for my room , but I love the rich bass and fullness that the sound produces. I mainly listen to electronic music , underworld, orbital BoC , etc but quite often I’ll find myself listening to traditional music and realise the vocals are swamp and muffled , Bjork this weekend has been singing 3ft behind my speakers with a sock in her mouth 😂 and not intentionally….
Now I know you can get super tweeters to lift your highs and subs to boost your low end , but is there anything that can push Bjork to front of stage
Tried bunging the ports but didn’t notice much tbh
Thanks in advance

Platinum audio duo
Lyngdorf power amp 200w digital
Tag mclaren dpa 32r digital pre
Speakers are a little known make , but made by the fella who designed the AE2 , they are a large stand mounts , beautiful finish on them
Speakers sat close to wall either side of fireplace firing across a 3.2 metre room , I’m sitting 2.5 metres away , room length 4.7mtres

Righty , how would one do such a thing ????
You will want to check that the positive wire is connected to the positive input (typically red-coloured) and that the negative (or black coloured wire) is connected to the negative input. If they are not, your speakers are out of phase and you should correct that by connecting them properly.

You will want to check that the positive wire is connected to the positive input (typically red-coloured) and that the negative (or black coloured wire) is connected to the negative input. If they are not, your speakers are out of phase and you should correct that by connecting them properly.
At both amp and speaker ends!

You might want to experiment with speaker placement. I had some really gnarly experiences with placement of my speakers depending on the level of amplification I had. When I went from integrated amp to pre/power, I had a total nightmare with the speaker placement getting it to work.

If your room has dimensions of 3.2 by 4.7, and your speakers are facing down the 3.2 length (If I didn't get that right, apologies in advance), I would think the better and more stable sound quality would come from firing the speakers down the 4.7m length. However, there might be various reasons why you need to have the speakers facing that way.

I would suspect it could be possibly due to a 'bbc dip' in the speakers near the critical crossover/vocal region.
Often appears either due to poor design or added intentionally to give some music a more relaxed distant feeling (suits classical in particular), but I've also found it can take the energy out of electronic/hip hop and some rock also.
Ensuring the speakers are aimed directly at you and not too far away may help.
I listen to alot of electronic and also own a Lyngdorf integrated. Not only does it have RP which really helps (although more with tightening and controlling bass) but you could also use the extensive built in EQ to boost/tailor the vocal/presence region (say between 1-3khz) a few db . But be subtle as this is also where your ears are most sensitive.

Any further questions regarding the Lyngdorf tdai1120 feel free to ask.

Your speakers are not too big for your room. It's worth checking that they are not wired out of phase.

100% second this. Currently I have a pair of 15 inch driver standmounts in my 3.8m by 3.6m room playing without issue. Well actually not entirely without issue although ironically i have the opposite problem; they are sounding too bright but that's because I tuned my system with cables and tubes to add some brightness to the previous speakers that were quite dark.

With your room size I doubt you have much scope for speaker placement and you're not going to improve the mid band too much with positioning anyway. That problem is more readily solved by cabling, interconnects and speaker cables.

I'm guessing you haven't got silver anywhere in your loom? If not then try adding a silver cabled interconnect or two; this will fine tune the mid band, lifting it and brightening it a little.

Speakers fire across room into sofa ( cloth with lots of cushions ) heavy draped curtains , side wall is beech wood panels , firebreast is clad in Welsh slate
Fwiw I pulled speakers out last night and they sounded worse if anything …
You know that thing when you open a can of worms 😂😂
I’m now thinking it may be the source as I just cast from my phone to a Bluetooth receiver

Eversolo is on the cards I reckon

You don't want to boost the vocal region, you need to cut the upper bass region, probably somewhere in the area of 150-500Hz.

Your best bet is to get a measurement mic and learn to use REW to precisely identify problems. Otherwise automate it with roomperfect.

advertisement

Back