advertisement

mid life crisis upgrade

These Art Deco 10s: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=173988

Or these:
url

Or this: http://www.audiophiles.eu/2015/06/28/gryphons-new-integrated-amplifier-diablo-300/

Or: http://www.normaudio.com/normaudio/en/prodotti/revo-ipa-140/

Or: http://www.vitusaudio.com/en/80002-RI-100 - should clock in at 9-10000£.

Rich , I have one left , a 95 C4 ... also up for sale for the right price.. I have an old 2003 Jag S-type R I drive daily..

Loudspeakers and the room make the largest contribution to sound quality.
Keith.

Naaaa. LF USB data jitter does! oops, sorry couldnt help myself. :)

Seriously, if you are going to spend some money assign some for room treatments, or even dare I say DEQ.

Naaaa. LF USB data jitter does! oops, sorry couldnt help myself. :)

Seriously, if you are going to spend some money assign some for room treatments, or even dare I say DEQ.

Yes I should have said, data packet noise, room and loudspeakers!
KR Keith.

Hi SJB

From memory, I think you are in Ireland (like myself) - I moved from a high-end Linn/Naim system to a Devialet system after prolonged home demos of both options. Cloney in Blackrock were great through this and let me have the Dev twice for a good listen. Strongly recommend you do this - you will have seen a lot of higher-end Naim stuff (552, NDS etc) coming through s/h sites now and many of these people are moving to Devialet (notwithstanding what Martin Colloms says!)

You may not like it, but you should have a listen. Cloney would definitely help out. Not sure about the pairing with the Naim speakers, you should see if they would let you try 802 or something as a better match.

Good luck with it all.

IMHO if it's a new amplifier you wish to put in your system, then I don't believe you could get any better at the price (and above) than an Albarry setup, pre-amp, 60 or 110 watt Mono-blocs, they are fantastic in my view and I am more than happy with mine.

Hope you find what you're looking for SJB.

cheers Al

I would get a 555DR for NDAC.
buy Dynaudio X38 speakers
Try superluminas.
upgrade to NAP 500

might be short of a more than a few quid though.

Get the Naim gear DR'd, add some SL cable. That should dispose of a good portion of the 10k.

Or get off the Naim train altogether as has been suggested.

Well, I have just got off the Naim train altogether, many of you will know me from the Naim Forum, but no longer, my account and all my posts deleted by request. 15 years worth. Finger points to PS, could not live with my probing questions and helpful criticisms. Another story not for here.

Actually for other reasons, I had already started to wean myself off Naim, and have found a perfect one-box partner in the Devialet 200. It's much, much more than a life-style product and it does fit my soon to be new life-style. Roon has also become the de-facto software for me, any source (yet to be determined for the long haul) will need to be Roon capable. I am sticking with Ovator S600's for now, I really like them, and the thought of shipping them out just fills me with dread.

To delve into the why's and where-for's will take another thread on it's own, but many years of dabbling with Naim serving and streaming lead me to firmly believe that most of what we hear and spend so much money on is wrapped around eliminating noise and hash on mains, EMI & RFI. Naim's PSU's are expensive, and pretty good at what they do in a Naim ecosystem, but one little £120 upgrade has probably opened my eyes up more to what a complete palaver this whole gravy train of expensive PSU's and cables is.

With my Devialet and £120 Regen, the only upgrades I have to think about are source with USB and speaker cables. The latter is resolved, TQ Ultra Blacks have been fantastic, seems to be a real synergy with the Devialet & S600's. As for source, I am waiting to see who adopts RoonSpeakers as a protocol for streaming.

When that happens, job done!

Missing Naim ..... not in the least. They are not likely to be Roon capable anytime soon, they are stuck in tunnel vision, although, at last, lossless streaming has been in beta for some months now, but don't necessarily expect them to release to all anytime soon, may do, may not, you know how that goes with Naim. The integration is good, but overall, the Naim app is not even the slightest patch on Roon, that's proper software for music enjoyment.

Allen

Flog the Naim gear. Invest in a good SE amp and a pair of Tannoy Westminsters. Kick yourself for all the years you wasted.

Well, I have just got off the Naim train altogether, many of you will know me from the Naim Forum, but no longer, my account and all my posts deleted by request. 15 years worth. Finger points to PS, could not live with my probing questions and helpful criticisms. Another story not for here.
Allen

Did you ask that your posts be deleted or were they removed by Stephenson's request?

I got banned many years ago by PS for similar reasons. They are a bunch of sycophants over there, just egging each other to keep upgrading. Stephenson is rather thin-skinned. When Julian was alive, you could criticize Naim products on the forum -- he would sometimes get testy but would always try to defend his views by arguing his points, not by banning dissident viewpoints.

I still own and use some Naim products but have zero interest in participating over there.

I asked for my account to be deleted with the proviso that all my posts went as well. I did not see why Naim should benefit from all my past posts, many of which extolled what they were doing.

It was a pretty innocuous post about Ovator pins that broke the camel's back (mine), when the whole thread was deleted, followed by me being ousted out of the Naim beta group without any reason given.

So hence why I am quite happy to reveal that Tidal lossless streaming is already in the beta firmware, I am no longer under any NDA as far as that's concerned. That might seem petty, but that's the kind of senior personnel you have to deal with over there. I could be a lot more disparaging, but I won't.

Some of us, hopefully, have a little bit of class.

Go shopping for a good DAC for your Squeezebox and throw a party with the rest of your funds :)

Absolutely, install EDO on your SBTouch and hook up a good DAC via USB (we can get into isolation issues later ;))

Or if you're feeling adventurous try a Raspberry Pi2 with an I2S DAC board, running Squeezelite under piCorePlayer...and throw an even bigger party :D

I have both of these up and running as SqueezeBoxes alongside (OK in other rooms) my SBTouch/MDAC main sytem...

http://www.iqaudio.co.uk/home/8-pi-dac-0712411999650.html

...very nice case :)

http://www.audiophonics.fr/en/kits-...-v2-tcxo-raspberry-pi-20-a-b-i2s-p-10176.html

...new case just been released, and on its way :)

Both of the above offer phenomenal SQ for the money, the french one is on it's 3rd day of burn in so haven't made a final comparison yet.

P.S. I'm assuming you have LMS on a NAS somewhere alongside your FLAC collection...

advertisement

Back