advertisement

mid life crisis upgrade

Sloop,

I bought a fountain pen when I turned 50 so I'm probably not the one to ask about how to have a proper midlife crisis, but if had your system and 10k squids to spend I'd try different speakers. Your electronics are fine and not where the folding money ought to be applied.

Joe

What Joe said.

Have a ball trying a load of different speakers. I have to say try ATC actives (so you can add the return you'd get on the 300 to the fund) as that's my choice, but whatever you do try lots.

The last thing I'd do is ask a Naim dealer if they'd like my £10K.

Meridian 24/96 DSP6000's , fed by a 568.2 (analog and digital in etc) will get you a simple yet stunning system and most likely leave you with change.. I just sold a pristine combo like that for GBP 2500.. probably closer to 4000 in the UK
My current combo of G1's and a Devialet is the only setup that has "beaten" them..
you can then sell almost everything off... probably cost you nothing in the wash..

With a £10K budget I would trade the SL2s in against some ART loudspeakers. I went from SL2 (actively driven) with an nSub to ART Alnico 8. There is no comparison, in mmy room the ARTs simply outclassed the SL2s in every department. Whatever you do, do it carefully though! The arrival of the ARTs lead to the eventual disposal of every bit of Naim kit I owned, save for my Aro.

I would sell the lot and buy something else your £10K will probably buy you something that will out perform all that overpriced Naim tat and you will have quids in the bank for a nice holiday.;)

I not so violently anti-Naim but I admit that I've never liked the Naim sound.
However as you're heavily into it then unless you do indeed ditch it all and start again I think you're commited to upgrading with more Naim gear.

Maybe a speaker change as suggested above, in which case you're not so tied.

These G1's? Yes, that must be mid-life crisis in full effect.

Was actually a reverse midlife crisis .. I sold 2 of my corvettes (the REAL midlife crisis toys) to afford this

11696373_460549187459021_826901078116447387_o.jpg

I've posted similar on the Naim forum but am very interested in what perspective Pink Fishers will bring to my "dilemma".

SJB turns 50 this year and has the following system.

CD555 (Chord STA)
NAC552
NAP300 (Chord STA)
SL2 (NACA5)
Naim n-sub
other sources:
Rega P3, SBT>nDAC/XPS2 (Hi-Line)
(all Naim products are non DR and are all powered by powerlines)

SJB mainly listens to CDs.
His collection has all been ripped to flac with dBpoweramp. Streaming is used for background music and playlists. Vinyl is only used where decent CD versions of the LPs are not available.

SJB has a fund of £10K which more than likely will be his last major hi-fi purchase (for some time).

So where should said Sloop spend his foldin' money?

SJB

Lots of speakers and dealers falling all over you ;)

Peter

I think I have a midlife crisis every few weeks. I would take the opportunity to sell off the extra gear you don't need and pile it all (and I mean *ALL*) into truly epic speakers and a Devialet 800. There. Problem solved and midlife crisis statement made.

B&W800 D2s for me, but anything big and statement-y will do. Beyond a certain $/£ point they all sound really good anyway.

@Rodney, been meaning to ask about the ceiling panels. Like very much. Got a contact?

Its a polyurethane Faux rock stuff , rockwood in South Africa sell it , but Im sure you can find similar in UK .. it's NOT ideal as the best custom made diffuser.. but it looks nice and its a lot better at diffusing than a bare wall .. has some absorbent properties too .. excellent waf.. can be used on walls etc.. to make a "feature" wall while doing your hifi good.

http://www.rockwoodcladding.co.za/

Clive , your next upgrade can be cheap ..i have a miniDSP DIRAC room correction device in front of my devialet (ddrc22 - $899).. makes a massive difference.. music is no longer music , each album is now an "experience"

That rug really ties the stadium together.

So where should said Sloop spend his foldin' money?

As Prof. P has suggested, I would start with the speakers.
If you enjoy what you have LS wise, I would try a NAP500.

My 5 pennorth, assuming you like what you already have. Room analysis and treatment from Vicoustics, followed by a REL Gibraltar series. Otherwise, cash in the Naim stuff for a Devialet and go on a nice holiday with what's left.

There are so many possibilities, including swapping the 300 for a 500, but definitely keep the 552.

You could have a mid-life sea change and go valve monoblocs (great with 552) and large electrostatics (fine with NAC A5) (or hybrids like M.L.)

Another left-field suggestion, esp. if you keep Naim amplification. Install fully dedicated mains if feasible, though that won't take more than 7% of your budget at most.

The thing with cars is that you most likely use it 1/30th of the time you would listen to music , upkeep , insurance , poor resale , bad weather , accidents etc ..
I had a modified violent black corvette I had not driven for a year , thats my left G1 .. which I use about 4hrs a day...
10 grand + wot you got is a very nice tidy sum to work with.. tons of options.. life is short -- treat yourself

advertisement

Back