advertisement

Metallica

IMHO, all of that metal stuff was redundant. Floyd, Hendrix, Cream, Zeppelin and Free said it all. The rest was shite. IMHO of course:)

Mull

Said what exactly? I detect no stylistic overlap at all between these bands and Metallica (at least the 'Cliff era' stuff I enjoy). Very little blues influenced playing (Bass solo in 'Orion' maybe?). Pretty clearly a post NWOBHM outfit with a weakness for the odd Budgie cover. Any other connection to the 60s and 70s comes secondhand (at best) via the proggier bits of Diamond Head. Also: even if it's not to your taste, Master of Puppets can not reasonably be described as shite. Rock was dominated by terrible 'hair bands' in 1986 - and it really shook things up.

I find Death Magnetic to be quite good. Not spectacular but their most solid release since "And Justice...".

The GH3 version is indeed better than the CD or vinyl for that matter. The team behind GH received the studio masters and "tweaked" the sound for the game. It lacks bite but it still sounds good - and VERY good compared to what's found on the CD and vinyl which is utter crap.

Ted Jensen is one of the people who was responsible for the mastering on Death Magnetic.

Here's what he said himself:

"I’m certainly sympathetic to your reaction, I get to slam my head against that brick wall every day. In this case the mixes were already brick walled before they arrived at my place. Suffice it to say I would never be pushed to overdrive things as far as they are here. Believe me I’m not proud to be associated with this one, and we can only hope that some good will come from this in some form of backlash against volume above all else."

I like what Lars said to the Culture Show.

"Compared to the bands that play really hard, we sound like Take That."

Jack

The album is their best since master of puppets, but that's not hard. I agree with the cliff burton comment, he was clearly the heart, soul, and talent in the band. It's strange how an album produced by rick rubin can sound so bad but then I've never heard any of their albums sound good, MOP sounds bloody awful!
Anybody get the gold or remastered MOP? That should be good for £100!!!

Has anyone heard the deluxe 45rpm 180gm MOP reissue?

Yes. A substantial improvement on my MFN original.I'm not sure what you have to do to get 55 minutes on a single LP but it cant help the sound quality. The 2 x 45 sounds very clean and loud with much better stereo separation. The individual guitar parts actually have room to breath and the bass is better resolved (compared to the moosh on the original). The 'solos' section of Orion sound sooo good.... £18 delivered from Amazon and worth every penny.

Just from reading the front cover my expectation is low as it gets:

"LOUDER, FASTER, HEAVIER"

Louder? Now that's a warning sign

Not in this case. 45 rpm gets you another 3db s/n over 33 rpm. Also, the original was seriously compromised by the 27 minutes a side playing time. The remaster sounds louder and less compressed.

Yes. A substantial improvement on my MFN original.I'm not sure what you have to do to get 55 minutes on a single LP but it cant help the sound quality. The 2 x 45 sounds very clean and loud with much better stereo separation. The individual guitar parts actually have room to breath and the bass is better resolved (compared to the moosh on the original). The 'solos' section of Orion sound sooo good.... £18 delivered from Amazon and worth every penny.

Hmm. Tempting... thanks.

They looked hilarious on jools, he even did that thing with his hand in the air. A parody of themselves. Bless.

I watched the re-run of Later, and can't say I was that impressed with Metallica (thought the other bands were singing along.
Jools summed up the French lady when he said he was taken to a cafe in Paris whilst she was singing - very classy.
I really liked Nicole Atkins, and might check out the album.

I have the first three albums on Music For Nations, and I have never been happy with the SQ.

Ordered a 2016 remaster of Kill 'Em All today, but I have low expectations.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DB80X6I/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I shall find out soon.

Out of interest: I got into Metallica back in the 80's and lost interest after Master Of Puppets.

By then I had found Fugazi. Then I found Nailbomb.

I still really like the first 3 L.P's.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Well if the waveforms confirm it, what else is there to say? It's pretty standard for metal bands to flatten everything to **** and make it loud. There's a handful of bands which know better, Tool, Neurosis and I think some of the Isis recordings are good, but a lot of them are worse than pop bands for loudness.
That confirms what my ears tell me. Quite honestly, if I was a metal head and listened to little else, spending money on HIFI would be like chucking it down the loo. The more you spend, the more your system reveals how poor many of these recordings are.
Hats off to Tool, a band I have only recently discovered. Really good recordings.

The only albums by Metallica I sometimes listen to are eponymous and MOP.
Talking of Tool or rather their ilk, Karnivool's Themata is well recorded.
Then you get something like Primordial's To The Nameless Dead, the only album I like by them, which is blown out to buggery and back.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back