advertisement

Metallica

johnfromnorwich

even my wife noticed the dif..
Ignoring opinions about the actual music for a second, I've been hearing horror stories about the SQ of the Death Magnetic CD. Has anyone here heard the vinyl and the CD for a comparison? I've read in a few places that even the Guitar Hero game version sounds better than the CD! Screen dumps of the waveforms seem to back this up too. Depressing. Any metal heads with an informed view on this? = John.

Ignoring opinions about the actual music for a second, I've been hearing horror stories about the SQ of the Death Magnetic CD. Has anyone here heard the vinyl and the CD for a comparison? I've read in a few places that even the Guitar Hero game version sounds better than the CD! Screen dumps of the waveforms seem to back this up too. Depressing. Any metal heads with an informed view on this? = John.

Well if the waveforms confirm it, what else is there to say? It's pretty standard for metal bands to flatten everything to **** and make it loud. There's a handful of bands which know better, Tool, Neurosis and I think some of the Isis recordings are good, but a lot of them are worse than pop bands for loudness.

I had the good fortune to see the (unintentionally) hilarious 'Some Kind of Monster' DVD last night. You couldn't make it up. It reminded me of Wogan's interview of David Eike: 'No, they are laughing at you'. I never thought I'd feel sorry for Bob Rock. How they got from Master of Puppets to this is tragic really. Anyone actually heard the record?

Well if the waveforms confirm it, what else is there to say?

Whether or not it was smashed before the CD mastering or after? Hence the CD vs. Vinyl question. A thread on the Gearslutz forum suggests that the video game was sourced pre the 2 track bus which is why it still has some dynamic range.

I find it hard to contain my feelings for this band, so sorry to threadcrap but:

This bunch have been irrelevant for the last 10 years.
It took me a long time to get into them initially but I love the early stuff. Master of Puppets is an excellent album that still sounds fresh in a genre where pretty much everything else from that time now sounds dated and cheesy.
I liked them right up until Load and saw them on tour and they were awesome. You could tell they seriously loved what they did, believed in it and worked really hard on their sound.

It all went pear shaped when the whole Napster debacle kicked off. I'm not saying what they did was wrong, they were trying to protect their copyright afterall, but they became figureheads and I think at that point they forgot what they were in it for, so then the money became all important and the music suffered. I saw them perform at Milton Keynes Bowl at "The big day out" which must have been around '99 (I think), and they looked bored. A shadow of their former selves from just a year before and I don't think they've ever recovered from it. St. Anger just confirmed it - The pioneers had become the ones being influenced by the bands of the day and they just couldn't do it anymore. So something had to give.

Soundwise, I find all of their recordings lacklustre. Lars Ulrich's drumming often sounds like no more than a series of clicks, which is sad considering what a good drummer he is and the rest of the band just has no real meat to it compared to what you (used to) hear live. The music used to be such that they could get away with crappy recordings. Maybe now it's just that people notice poor quality more because the music doesn't stand out.

I'd be thoroughly hacked off if I'd paid £50 for a vinyl package and it sounded as bad as the CD has been reported to though.

I'd be thoroughly hacked off if I'd paid £50 for a vinyl package and it sounded as bad as the CD has been reported to though.

I've seen it for less than £20 on line (isn't £50 for the coffin / box set?). I actually think that they've never really got it right soundwise. MoP is a great record but it's about 55 mins long and squeezed onto a single LP - I seem to remember something about 'compressed groove technology' at the time. Net result is that even this sounds pretty compressed. You can at least hear the bass playing though. I have a 2 x 45 rpm DMM copy of Kill em All (late 80s reissue on MFN - I think thy did all 3 like this) which is okay but still not great. AJFA is very stodgy and has no audible bass on it (saw them at Newcastle City Hall on this tour though and they were ace). Lost interest when the black album came out. A load of old ballads.

I find it hard to contain my feelings for this band, so sorry to threadcrap but:

This bunch have been irrelevant for the last 10 years.
It took me a long time to get into them initially but I love the early stuff. Master of Puppets is an excellent album that still sounds fresh in a genre where pretty much everything else from that time now sounds dated and cheesy.
I liked them right up until Load and saw them on tour and they were awesome. You could tell they seriously loved what they did, believed in it and worked really hard on their sound.

What he said, but I'd say crap for the past 20 years.

I never liked metallica.
I missed Jools - might look it up on the beebs online player thing (or see oif there's a re-run).

That more people seem to be sharing and downloading the Guitar Hero 3 FLACs than the retail copy might be some indication of the quality. Might be time for a couple of downloads and a comparison.

The vinyl is supposed to be equally as bad.

metallica died with cliff burton, they zombied along on inertia for a while with newstead but eventually the cliffness ran out and they started to rot. justice was dubious, load was aptly named, i ignored them other than the blip that was garage inc. (covers and re releases) and fell for the st anger marketing much to my disgust. death magnetic can f*ck off - i'll grab a rip off the interwebz maybe but no way are they getting my cash.

Just played Master of Puppets end to end. Just brilliant. Even squeezing the grooves that tight can't kill material that good. Then I watched the Joolz Holland thing. Lame. Too many bands just outstay their welcome.

I bought the new album last night

skipped through it

filed it

played ...And Justice For All and enjoyed it

The new album sounds awful - just like everything since the black album IMHO

Just compared the GH3 and retail versions.
To get similar loudness on my on SB3 volume was at 51 for the retail and 85 for GH3.
Even at 51 the retail version made my ears hurt. It's just nasty and unlistenable. The meters on the SB3 are almost permanently max'ed out.
That said, the GH3 has more depth, but lacks any real bite.
Will try again tomorrow with some real volume when I don't have to worry about waking wife and kid up.

IMHO, all of that metal stuff was redundant. Floyd, Hendrix, Cream, Zeppelin and Free said it all. The rest was shite. IMHO of course:)

Mull

advertisement

Back