advertisement

Menswear - Fashion, Style and Function - Share Your Wears!

Yes but I'm not sure the style is a popular convention considered appropriate to someone of fairly advanced age. But, to coin a phrase, perhaps it's a case of "am I bothered?"

I should hope you are not bothered. I don’t know who does the judging of what is ‘age appropriate?’ To me that is a conservative concept.
A lot more to do with availability of the omnipresent ‘slim fit’ jean for men I guess? (cheaper for the manufacturer as there is less cloth involved)

brings to mind that awful term, ‘mutton dressed as lamb.’ Used generally to put down a woman.

I should hope you are not bothered. I don’t know who does the judging of what is ‘age appropriate?’ To me that is a conservative concept.
A lot more to do with availability of the omnipresent ‘slim fit’ jean for men I guess? (cheaper for the manufacturer as there is less cloth involved)

brings to mind that awful term, ‘mutton dressed as lamb.’ Used generally to put down a woman.
It's predominantly younger generations that make such scathing remarks or judgements, (or those older people that for some bizare reason resent people of their generation still "living life" and not just getting ready for death). I feel it comes from their fear that youth is not actually "the be all and end all" of life, because to accept that would to diminish their own arrogant self absorbed sense of importance (that is the common belief system of many people under 30). Basically it boils down to them still being immature and not recognising there is value in life when older and still seeing people who are 20-30 years older than them as they percieved their parents when they were 15 years old. "mum you can't wear that, it's EMBARRASING!" :rolleyes:

Slim fit jeans suit slim people, age is irrelevant.
Indeed.

1848.jpg

I've decided that life is too short to go around with compressed genitals.

Speaking of shopping, today I walked out of a shop that to sell me a tie wanted to fill in a "module" on their computer. They wanted my name and surname, telephone number, email (optional, I refused) and then pulled down a menu of professions from which I was expected to select mine. At this point I, perhaps a little brusquely, said "Don't you think that is my business?" The salesman retorted with "Well, you know what? If you are going to be rude I'm not going to sell you a tie!"
So we parted.

I've decided that life is too short to go around with compressed genitals.

Speaking of shopping, today I walked out of a shop that to sell me a tie wanted to fill in a "module" on their computer. They wanted my name and surname, telephone number, email (optional, I refused) and then pulled down a menu of professions from which I was expected to select mine. At this point I, perhaps a little brusquely, said "Don't you think that is my business?" The salesman retorted with "Well, you know what? If you are going to be rude I'm not going to sell you a tie!"
So we parted.

There needs to be something done about this. It's just a secondary revenue stream for them, they almost certainly then sell the details on to marketing companies. You should not have to give any personal information (bar what's on your card) in order to make a purchase*

*There are a handful of exceptions of course, eg if buying products that could potentially be made to use explosives or somehow cause harm. The potential to cause harm, is the reason you can't buy a mobile contract of any type these days without giving personal information.

There needs to be something done about this. It's just a secondary revenue stream for them, they almost certainly then sell the details on to marketing companies. You should not have to give any personal information (bar what's on your card) in order to make a purchase*

*There are a handful of exceptions of course, eg if buying products that could potentially be made to use explosives or somehow cause harm. The potential to cause harm, is the reason you can't buy a mobile contract of any type these days without giving personal information.
Do you have a smartphone?

The data horse has left the station, the stable door is swinging in the breeze.

I remember the Dave Clark Five once appearing on TV in white trousers and wearing two belts, a normal one around the waist and second one, a few inches below it. I can only assume it was a security measure to safeguard against a possible, "wardrobe malfunction."

Interesting thread :)

I was overweight for a good few year's, back around 2007-2010. Classic case of getting too comfortable in a relationship and working on the road and in / out of hotels a lot. At the time I hated going cloth shopping, those mirrors in the changing rooms are very unforgiving! 😅 Skinny jeans, slim fit etc. were all coming in, plus I have a short inside leg at 29', that combined with an expanding waistline made for far less choice. I decided to do something about it and took up running. I'm still not what you would call thin, but sit at around a 36' waist and generally a medium size top, sometimes large depending on the fit which I am happy with.

When I find clothes I like and that I feel look good, it makes me feel better about me. Gives me a little boost in confidence which I see as being a positive and good thing.

I like jeans, wear them all the time and in a variety of styles from skinny, to straight, to boot / flared leg. My go to brands are Diesel, G-Star, Replay, all really comfortable.
Tops wise I do like a hoodie Lacoste and Replay, love a good fleece, have in the past year come across Finisterre and their 1/4 zip which are really well made and warm, downside is their recent (and completely ludicrous) price hikes have meant these are unlikely to be anything but a sale purchase from now on. I do love big knits and roll necks to, a high quality cable knit being a particular favourite, although these tend to be very expensive so I always look out for a bargain on these. During the summer I am Polo top wearer, Next, Ralph Lauren, Lacoste being the usual suspects. I love a good shirt too both sort and long sleeve, but more of the casual variety - John Lewis, Ralph Lauren, Lacoste, Replay etc. Footwear is a mix of Adidas Gazelles in a variety of colours and smart casual shoes

I do like a bit of colour, yellows, orange, and yes pink too! 😅

As others have alluded to, I buy quality brands as they tend to last a lot longer and I'll wear most things out and if I no longer wear them, they either go to charity or my partners Dad! I am not anti high-street brands at all though, recently brought a great suit from Next for a funeral, John Lewis and House of Fraser all have good own range items. For me it is often a case of if I like it, it's not too expensive, fits well and looks good I'll buy irrespective of where it's from

I purchase everything exclusively online these days and couldn't tell you the last time I brought any clothes in a shop

The problem with "Quality brands" is I think that more of the money goes into, "Brand" (advertising) and less into "Quality" these days.
I've a lot of Ben Sherman shirts, (enough to see me out) but haven't bought any for well over decade, when the quality of the material, in my opinion, started going downhill.

An extreme example but he would look daft in baggier clothing. I tend to wear slimmer fitting clothes as I have a weedy cyclist build so get swamped by more voluminous cuts. I don’t do skinny fit though as I have taste & judgement;)
The biggest improvement the majority of British men could make to improve their appearance is simply to wear clothes which actually fit them properly, pretty much regardless of weight, width, height or body shape.

advertisement

Back