advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part XXIX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The design would use subminiature tubes so would fit within the standard MDAC chassis without issue – I've got the possibility to purchase about 2000 of these tubes so I need to confirm there performance before committing to buying a large batch.

The design would use subminiature tubes so would fit within the standard MDAC chassis without issue – I've got the possibility to purchase about 2000 of these tubes so I need to confirm there performance before committing to buying a large batch.

Yes, it simplifies things to reuse the existing chassis, but if you keep thinking about further upgrade, I think the chassis size is going to hold things back.

Possible Upgrade options
1. Extra FPGA board
2. Tube and tube board
3. Future digital interfaces

There aren't space :p

That is why I am still on the fence.

Yes, it simplifies things to reuse the existing chassis, but if you keep thinking about further upgrade, I think the chassis size is going to hold things back.

Possible Upgrade options
1. Extra FPGA board
2. Tube and tube board
3. Future digital interfaces

There aren't space :p

That is why I am still on the fence.

It makes sense that 1 & 3 will be on the same PCB that will be mounted upside down and above the Mainboard.

The Tube poses more an issue due to PSU requirements (not so much an issue of space).... maybe the Tube versions (if it happens) will require a different external PSU... Just concepts at the moment - waiting for final judgement on testing the development PCB's...

Will the extra PCB allow for better isolation of the USB input or is the RF input really that high enough, making separate box a much better solution? I presume the Sabre chips will be on the main PCB, ...

Jiri,

Yes the Analogue / Digital Analogue sections will be on the mainboard (ESS DAC's, Clock etc).

It might offer a slight advantage to having the USB physically "isolated" on the second PCB with the more "nasty" digital processing - but the problem is however that even a few pF of capacitance will couple RF energy into the the audio sections... Capacitative coupling from the underside of the PCB into the chassis etc, for any decent amount of RF isolation the isolation barrier must be external to the MDAC2 chassis.

I'm considering the possibility of an option for USB galvanic isolation, but it would offer little in the way of RF isolation at higher frequency's - this would breakup the PC / Audio system ground loop - but little else...

hallo John

Many month ago we discussed the opportunity to integrate a analogue input in the mdac2. Your idea was to make that with an adon card. Is this still in your mind?
If you still want to use the mdac case and separate the digi-input in a adon card you probably didn't have enough space for a second adon card...

regards
f.s.

hallo John

Many month ago we discussed the opportunity to integrate a analogue input in the mdac2. Your idea was to make that with an adon card. Is this still in your mind?
If you still want to use the mdac case and separate the digi-input in a adon card you probably didn't have enough space for a second adon card...

regards
f.s.

Hi Fred,

Are you referring to the AV bypass (which will be fitted as standard) - or a full Analogue pre-amplifier (or just ADC)?

We will most likely design an external Analogue pre-amplifier using the Areks Stepped attenuator routed via the MDAC2's AV bypass input. The External pre-amplifier will be controlled via the MDAC2's front panel / Remote Control.

We will also include an option for a MM/MC Phono input stage.

@ AndyU - tell me more about these noisy, expensive, cumbersome computers? Elsewhere on the forum, they're claimed to be completely benign - and irrelevant . . .

You tell me more about a computer that is as cheap, quiet (as in fanless, discless) and small as a Squeezebox Touch. Can't be done.

Hi Fred,

Are you referring to the AV bypass (which will be fitted as standard) - or a full Analogue pre-amplifier (or just ADC)?

We will most likely design an external Analogue pre-amplifier using the Areks Stepped attenuator routed via the MDAC2's AV bypass input. The External pre-amplifier will be controlled via the MDAC2's front panel / Remote Control.

thanks for clarification.
No, we discussed about a " real" analogue input. Now you prefer a external solution. Thats OK. Its not as elegant as an all in one box but it makes it lot easier for you ;-)

regards
f.s.

Hallo

Greater DSP power?
perhaps you have in mind that we discussed the opportunity of LF room correction many month ago ;-)
is this still a issue that you are thinking about?

regards
f.s.

3. I have some ideas that might require far greater DSP processing power then can be provided by the MDAC2 single FPGA - so upgrade options can be offered in the future inline with developments...

did you expect that the mdac2 dsp will have any resources available for room correction capability's?

I'd consider the argument that "maybe" just messing with the LF is ok as the wavelengths are so long that phase is not so important... (maybe)

Hi Fred,

Hi John,
Will your external pre-amp have the ability to simultaneously connect both the AV bypass and also a turntable as can be done with the CDQ, with the ability to swap using a remote? This would be exactly what I need

Hi John,
Will your external pre-amp have the ability to simultaneously connect both the AV bypass and also a turntable as can be done with the CDQ, with the ability to swap using a remote? This would be exactly what I need

Hi Tim,

Yes - thats the idea... :)

Hallo

Greater DSP power?
perhaps you have in mind that we discussed the opportunity of LF room correction many month ago ;-)
is this still a issue that you are thinking about?

regards
f.s.

Hi Fred,

No the heavy DSP horsepower would be required for an advanced filter (and possibly modulator) idea I have - if indeed its possible, the maths is beyond me so it would be left to an applied Mathematician and Dominik to develop the filter algorithms.

John said:
I'm considering the possibility of an option for USB galvanic isolation, but it would offer little in the way of RF isolation at higher frequency's - this would breakup the PC / Audio system ground loop - but little else...

That would keep me happy

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back