advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part XXVII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hallo john

i don't know if this was asked before:
did you expect that the mdac2 dsp will have any resources available for room correction capability's?
if yes, is this an option you would like to think about?

regards
f.s.

I've never heard room correction to work well - every system I've heard during demos is NOT HiFi!

I'd rather live with the Frequency response errors than the sonic degradation these systems introduce.

Hi JohnW,
may I ask what is "next" on the list after the MDAC-2 is out? Is it a power amp (MIMP/MAMP?)? Or MTRANS? :)

50W per channel & 100W Bridged - the Mimps are really designed to be operated as Bridged Amps... so a Mimp per speaker.

I've never heard room correction to work well - every system I've heard during demos is NOT HiFi!

I'd rather live with the Frequency response errors than the sonic degradation these systems introduce.

Full frequency I would agree, but I have heard it work very well doing the lower frequencies.. Especially when a sub is added to the mix, it can compensate to some degree for room modes and the like.

That's interesting, and why not go straight for the MAMP? It will drive a wider range of speakers, right? I guess the type of amplification may play a role (?).

Full frequency I would agree, but I have heard it work very well doing the lower frequencies.. Especially when a sub is added to the mix, it can compensate to some degree for room modes and the like.

Passive treatment would be preferable though. Subs play out of time no matter what. Active correction in the signal path is an abomination and would completely wreck John's hard work unlike a preamp which fulfils a different function entirely.

Hi All,

I am been reading and trying to learn. I am US based without an MDAC right now. I like some of what I read about the original MDAC, but have read the Creek DAC maybe better/newer Westlake design? MDACII requires MDAC to start that only goes to EU addresses. So am I up a creek (pun intended) to wait for the Creek in the US? Any suggestions?

What will be the differences between the MDAC II and Creek DAC (if it is still happening?)

Thanks for anyones help and guidance.

Jim

Passive treatment would be preferable though. Subs play out of time no matter what. Active correction in the signal path is an abomination and would completely wreck John's hard work unlike a preamp which fulfils a different function entirely.

Fair enough.. Lots I can do with that.. Starting with putting one of my many bookshelves onto the wall behind the main listening position.. Cant beat the look of lots of lovely books!

I disagree.
I've yet to hear anything, including my slighty modded MDAC, that beats the Lyngdorf TDAI2200 using it's roomperfect correction features.
I've tried different amps, speakers, cables, even listening rooms (none of them really good), but with the Lyngdorf all the muddiness in the lower frequencies, the washed out middle frequencies and harsh highs disappears.

All is fault of my crappy listening rooms and not the equipment used (including the MDAC), but this is the reason I'm not going the MDAC2 route, tempting however it is, as it would never sound good in my system. I am very sure the Lyngdorf will beat it with ease every single time.
For some of us, unfortunately, room correction is the only option for true hifi, which I believe it is.
In my opinion none of the greatest hifi products in the world will sound good in a poorly optimized room. Rooms are not always easily changed, whereas good room correction systems does exist.

Sorry for the off topic :)

Despite of the above, I am really very much looking forward to receiving my MDAC back, as it's USB input is better than the one in my Audio-gd dac.

I disagree.
I've yet to hear anything, including my slighty modded MDAC, that beats the Lyngdorf TDAI2200 using it's roomperfect correction features.
I've tried different amps, speakers, cables, even listening rooms (none of them really good), but with the Lyngdorf all the muddiness in the lower frequencies, the washed out middle frequencies and harsh highs disappears.

All is fault of my crappy listening rooms and not the equipment used (including the MDAC), but this is the reason I'm not going the MDAC2 route, tempting however it is, as it would never sound good in my system. I am very sure the Lyngdorf will beat it with ease every single time.
For some of us, unfortunately, room correction is the only option for true hifi, which I believe it is.
In my opinion none of the greatest hifi products in the world will sound good in a poorly optimized room. Rooms are not always easily changed, whereas good room correction systems does exist.

Sorry for the off topic :)

Despite of the above, I am really very much looking forward to receiving my MDAC back, as it's USB input is better than the one in my Audio-gd dac.

I think that if you are into audio butchery aka active room correction then maybe Lakewest audio design principles are not for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back