advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XXIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
:) - And the Bass boom you experienced in your other system?

More of a bloom I would say John,

However there is no such problem with the Trios. :):)

Perhaps the PWM amps in the active Adams?

Or it may simply be those particular speakers in that particular room.

Ill be changing things around again over the weekend toinestigate further.

Hello John,

if the Bulk Foils are a big step up from the Tyco/Dale version, I have no problem paying for the extra costs of the resistors.

Then again, I can understand your wanting to investigate the restraining part.
Could you describe it further?

And then again I feel that at some point enough is enough.....

Earlier on I could hear differences in sound when switching through jitter reduction settings; also Coax 2 was better (regarding dropouts above 176kHz). Maybe this helps.

Cheers,
Johan

Still investigating - not been to bed since yesterday...

It sounds "constrained - where as the Silver units (Jems & Marks) have a much freer flowing sound... I cannot really describe it, but I hear it everytime I listen to your unit...

The resistors made a huge difference - but it still sounds like they are trying to force there way through this "Restriction".... Makes be wonder how they would sound if fitted to Jems / Marks unit...

Its not rocket science - I'll find the cause.. its just a question of time...

Yes - Yours included, once the backlog is worked through you can send your unit back for upgrade to the lastest Spec.

Cool, cheers John. Ill find some of the resistors before then. I imagine the backlog must be months long by now.

More of a bloom I would say John,

However there is no such problem with the Trios. :):)

Perhaps the PWM amps in the active Adams?

Or it may simply be those particular speakers in that particular room.

Ill be changing things around again over the weekend toinestigate further.

Are you still using the XLR attenuators I made you? after hearing the effect resisters made - I'd try without them - although they should be less degrading as the are just attenuation, rather then the "Gain guardians" of a feedback loop.

Cool, cheers John. Ill find some of the resistors before then. I imagine the backlog must be months long by now.

Arthur, when the time comes, you pay the shipping, I'll pay for the resistors - its the least I can do to keep you happy :)

I value your enjoyment of my designs over a few pounds! There is no point in putting so much time & effort into something if its not appreciated :)

Are you still using the XLR attenuators I made you? after hearing the effect resisters made - I'd try without them - although they should be less degrading as the are just attenuation, rather then within a feedback loop.

Oddly enough I was just thinking the same thing!

Ill be using them again when I get the Adams back in the main room. The only problem will be that ill be listening at -40 to -45 dB without the attenuators.

But I'll be trying everything I can think of including major furniture shifting.

Still investigating - not been to bed since yesterday...

It sounds "constrained - where as the Silver units (Jems & Marks) have a much freer flowing sound... I cannot really describe it, but I hear it everytime I listen to your unit...

The resistors made a huge difference - but it still sounds like they are trying to force there way through this "Restriction".... Makes be wonder how they would sound if fitted to Jems / Marks unit...

Its not rocket science - I'll find the cause.. its just a question of time...

Ok, enough. Straight to bed please

Arthur, when the time comes, you pay the shipping, I'll pay for the resistors - its the least I can do to keep you happy :)

:) very generous indeed John. But I'm already well happy.

Buŷing the resistors and having them fitted will no doubt make me even more so.

But after this I think you should promise to find no more improvements :D

Its quite amazing how these Bulk Film resistors effect the SQ... I've changed the "Suspect Blue resistors" - well in fact due to space restrictions I changed all 16 feedback resistors (so 20 Bulk Foils fitted ATM)... I'VE never heard such an improvement in SQ - yet I feel I'm still listening though what ever is "restraining" your units SQ... however, there's simply no escaping the fact that the Vishay Bulk Foils have reap a dramatic leap in performance - I REALLY mean dramatic! I sit here going GOSH and shaking my head all the time - and as you can imagine that does not happen to me often!

I must find out what's going on with your unit and holding it back...

The results are quite promising. Can't wait to get my Fusion'ed MDAC back. Already happy with the investment :)

Yesterday I listened to music via my AVR. My ears were bleeding.. :(

The results are quite promising. Can't wait to get my Fusion'ed MDAC back. Already happy with the investment :)

Yesterday I listened to music via my AVR. My ears were bleeding.. :(

Looks like I can bypass x8 47R resistors - So I can sell your ones onto the next person who decides on a full Fusion upgrade :) - which means I'll be able to return you around 120 Euros :) - "only" 28 Bulk film resistors required for the Fusion upgrade... :)

Looks like I can bypass x8 47R resistors - So I can sell your ones onto the next person who decides on a full Fusion upgrade :) - which means I'll be able to return you around 120 Euros :) - "only" 28 Bulk film resistors required for the Fusion upgrade... :)

Ill be one of those people John. I'm unable to resist.

I'm just off out now to mug a few souls.

I'm sure they'd understand if they knew why.

John please put me on the list for a brand new MDAC with the final FF upgrade :)

Now there's faith for you. :)

Ironically I searched most of EU for a silver one before I bought mine, no one around at that time

I have no doubt John will not stop before he is satisfied with the performance of the "restricted" ones, but who knows what issues might turn up with MDAC's produced today or next week

Did you test all 36 already?

Edit: bypass as in no resistor required at all?

John,
Make it 2! include me also.

Now my pwer amp shopping going to be tough. Wonder should I wait for the final MDAC ship to me then I decide which amp to go. Or anyone has any suggestion to drive my dali ms5 to full range???

Mav

John please put me on the list for a brand new MDAC with the final FF upgrade :)

Still investigating - Makes be wonder how they would sound if fitted to Jems / Marks unit...

feel free to fit anything to mine you feel will help, though would love to get it back in the system soonish... been buying a lot of new music that I don't feel I've heard properly yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back