advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me using the M-DAC as a pre is a significant improvement over my Audiolab 8000Q, so much so that I spent about £80 on this fellow...

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/products/TC-7240.html

...I still need my Q for my TT and AV, so this allows me to switch between my 'digital' pre (M-DAC), and 'analogue' pre (Q) into the same power amps...works a treat :)

I've been looking out for something like that for ages to switch between CDQ (which my front AV is routed through) and MDAC. All I could find were cheap and nasty switch boxes, but this looks like just the fella - good shout!

Will be buying :)

does anyone know if the project usb v device can be used to connect my TT directly to the USB on the M-DAC. Here is some info on the Project: http://www.project-audio.com/inhalt/en/manual/manual_phonoboxusbv.pdf I have not used the USB on the M-DAC so don't know if it needs a specific protocol, the Project details Digital Serial Data Protocol USB 1.1.

Thanks for any help

Thought with all this expert knowledge someone would know if this would work? Anyone?

Thought with all this expert knowledge someone would know if this would work? Anyone?

Extremely unlikely.

Both it and the mdac are designed to be computer peripherals. The mdac isn't designed to be a host computer nor to have or install the drivers that would be required for the Project device

Have you considered the HD700?

I initially read a review on them , cant remember why i haven't pursued this model. I was initially going to buy the HD650's , but heard the HD800's and fell head over heals with them. I thought i'd try and save up for the difference. Fat chance so far. Will try and dem a pair , thanks for the reminder.

Thanks will look into them. Not sure if my auditory memory is good enough to audition over extended periods between each dem, as I would need to find a retailer with a broad range. I might wait for the next hifi show (Bristol perhaps). You never know maybe a show discount as well.

I have rothwells, and tried them..... the voice becomes more prominent, but also reduces both bottom end impact and HF definition... so, I have my MDAC at -10db .. happy with that...

There is no 'USB board' in the mdac, it's all on one pcb. You can hack it so that an external USB input went straight onto the board as i2s, but it probably wouldn't fit in the case.

That's exactly what Weiss do with the 202 dac, just throw a Xmos USb board inside.

thanks. Thought that might be the case. Any ideas where can I solder onto. Dont really fancy soldering directly on to the DAC chip itself. I was thinking that if I can somehow fit a twistedpearaudio transporter, I can use an off-board USB to I2S converter. Incidentally, what is the chance of the 24/192 USB on the MTRN being DSD compatible?

Smooth you'd have to ask John about where to connect, I'd imagine you have to sacrifice one input for it, possibly replacing the current spdif input would be my preferred route.

thanks. Thought that might be the case. Any ideas where can I solder onto. Dont really fancy soldering directly on to the DAC chip itself. I was thinking that if I can somehow fit a twistedpearaudio transporter, I can use an off-board USB to I2S converter. Incidentally, what is the chance of the 24/192 USB on the MTRN being DSD compatible?

Smooth you'd have to ask John about where to connect, I'd imagine you have to sacrifice one input for it, possibly replacing the current spdif input would be my preferred route.

I suspect you'd have to sacrifice all your spdif inputs,
and that the Sabre has to be programmed to expect a DSD input

DSD isn't spdif so I wouldn't expect a DSD signal to be able to be multiplexed or switched through an spdif circuit. Which would therefore mean it would have to be connected after the spdif switching

Try doing some searches on Sabre DSD or Buffalo DSD and see what comes back as that will give you an idea of the scale of what you're trying to achieve.

I'd normally say this is (way) beyond the design aims or expectations of the MDAC
...but you never quite know what John's response will actually be

PS.
I'd also possibly say, if you're thinking of mashing a combination of Twisted Pear boards and the MDAC, and need to ask where to connect, then it's possibly a hack too far.

I'd be looking at all the twisted pair information and the Sabre data sheets, trying to work it out for myself and using this as a starting point. Some research and posts on diyaudio might be a good place to get help with this sort of query, as there's lots of ESS Sabre hacking and modding experience over there.

Or I'd leave the mdac alone to do what it does very well, and build a Buffalo III to get the level of customisation I want

It depends on the level you've got your amp set at. I normally have the dac at 0db and contorl the volume via the amp, this is why I've been asking all of these questions, to see if digital or analogue is the best.

Tonight I find out I guess :)

Hi, I'm new to the M-DAC club. Connected it to my Squeezebox Touch and it sounds very nice. Excellent replacement for my MF V-DAC (which I liked a lot, to be honest). I also love the multiple inputs, remote, and it looks neat too.

I was hoping I could also connect it to my Samsung TV. Unfortunately I'm suffering from the dropout bug which was mentioned a few pages earlier. I noticed the beta firmware, but I was wondering when I can expect an official firmware release (vA.10?).

The Beta firmwares fix the issue for a lot of people.
Alternatively connect you sky/virgin to the mdac?

Sam

I've tried the beta (coming from VA.08), but somehow it reverted back to factory defaults every reboot. So I'm back to VA.08 and will wait for the official release. Unless I'm doing something wrong. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back