advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have and it did create an improvement. Not sure why... Guessing it was due to the USB isolation... I think the M-dac has good jitter rejection already... Would not value the gain at rrp though.

Thank you. The reviews are fairly good but I haven't found much on using it with an M-Dac. With a name like that, my gut feel was that it was closer to an audiofool product.

I think I will take a deep breath and continue to wait for the M-Pax :)

Then I have to say that Bitdefender must be pretty awful, especially if it does not permit you to override what appears to be a rather daft call.

It was a bit of a pain to work out what was going on because it whipped the window away so quickly. In fairness to Bitdefender, once I worked out that it was killing the process, it was fairly easy to authorise.

Finally I recieved my silver mdac today (after approx. 6 months - Finland, what a great country!).

Well... I just powered it on...

Sounds like it goes on (relay clicks), but nothing happends. Just black screen...

John, is this the famous faulty crystal problem or something else?

Windows 7 recognized the mdac normaly after I powered it on. All the settings are correct from windows and foobar.

edit: I even tried my headphones. No sound, but relays click when I plug in/out.

Finally I recieved my silver mdac today (after approx. 6 months - Finland, what a great country!).

Well... I just powered it on...

Sounds like it goes on (relay clicks), but nothing happends. Just black screen...

John, is this the famous faulty crystal problem or something else?

Windows 7 recognized the mdac normaly after I powered it on. All the settings are correct from windows and foobar.

edit: I even tried my headphones. No sound, but relays click when I plug in/out.

Ooooh You are so unlucky!!!!

Its not the Crystal as you can see the MDAC on your PC and the Relays clicking when you insert the Headphone Jack - this indicates the MDAC is operational, but looks like the Display itself is not working for what ever reason.

This is an "odd Ball" problem - I cannot believe how unlucky you are after waiting for so long - I'm so very sorry!!!

Where did you buy your unit? - I cannot understand why you have had to wait for so long...

John

Ooooh You are so unlucky!!!!

Its not the Crystal as you can see the MDAC on your PC and the Relays clicking when you insert the Headphone Jack - this indicates the MDAC is operational, but looks like the Display itself is not working for what ever reason.

This is an "odd Ball" problem - I cannot believe how unlucky you are after waiting for so long - I'm so very sorry!!!

Where did you buy your unit? - I cannot understand why you have had to wait for so long...

John

I bought it from official finnish retailer. I understod that the problem of waiting was finnish distributor. Its called Gamitron Oy. I suppose they coudn't get hands on with the silver models. No idea why not. :confused:

Link: http://www.audiolab.co.uk/Support.aspx?State=1

Ok, so I better get thouch with the store where I bought it. Hopefully they can arrange me a new one quickly.

If the mdac is somehow operational. Should I still hear some music from the headphones or amplifier? I guess there must be also something else broken than just the screen.

I bought it from official finnish retailer. I understod that the problem of waiting was finnish distributor. Its called Gamitron Oy. I suppose they coudn't get hands on with the silver models. No idea why not. :confused:

Link: http://www.audiolab.co.uk/Support.aspx?State=1

Ok, so I better get thouch with the store where I bought it. Hopefully they can arrange me a new one quickly.

If the mdac is somehow operational. Should I still hear some music from the headphones or amplifier? I guess there must be also something else broken than just the screen.

If its the display you should be able to hear music, have you selected the correct input? (Obviously hard without a display) - maybe easier via the remote handset...

Does the handset control your Media player on the PC?

I have bought an HD album from HDtracks.com (24bits/44.1khz) titled Jesse Cook "The Blue Guitar Session" and on one track "Ne Me Quitte Pas" when played, the mdac keep flashing between 16 and 24 bits and at the same time D3E turns on and off. Does not see this on other tracks. Why does MDAC keep flicker between 16bit and 24bit? Does it mean this track is not true 24bit?

If its the display you should be able to hear music, have you selected the correct input? (Obviously hard without a display) - maybe easier via the remote handset...

Does the handset control your Media player on the PC?

WOW, I managed to get music playing. Handset controls mediaplayer and foobar nicely. You were right. I just scrolled the inputs with the remote once the music started playing. Any idea which filter is used at the moment? :D

So I suppose only broken thing is the oled screen... pretty crucial thing with this machine, if I want to change settings etc. :D

If I want to change the pre-amplifier mode. How much do I have to turn ne knop and which direction? This is getting pretty funny, but had to ask. *blind man using mdac* :D

Hi John,
eagerly I´m waiting for your new Creek CD / DAC (BDAC).
Do you already know, if the DAC will be able to be switched on and off with the remote control (standby)? Or will t be similar to the M-DAC?

Hi John,
Do you already know, if the DAC will be able to be switched on and off with the remote control (standby)? Or will t be similar to the M-DAC?

No, the BDAC will be hard switched like the MDAC.

The new European 1W standby regulations now make it almost imposable to cost effectively design products that meet 1W standby and don't require a switching PSU.

Cheap switching PSU have a negative effect upon sound quality.

John

WOW, I managed to get music playing. Handset controls mediaplayer and foobar nicely. You were right. I just scrolled the inputs with the remote once the music started playing. Any idea which filter is used at the moment? :D

So I suppose only broken thing is the oled screen... pretty crucial thing with this machine, if I want to change settings etc. :D

If I want to change the pre-amplifier mode. How much do I have to turn ne knop and which direction? This is getting pretty funny, but had to ask. *blind man using mdac* :D

Its almost impossible to select pre-amplifier mode without the Display.

You are really unlucky, I've never seen an MDAC with a totally dead display - although I've heard of a unit with a row missing on the display... Could be the Display cable badly seated in its connector to the front panel...

John

Its almost impossible to select pre-amplifier mode without the Display.

You are really unlucky, I've never seen an MDAC with a totally dead display - although I've heard of a unit with a row missing on the display... Could be the Display cable badly seated in its connector to the front panel...

John

I just tested headphones and they are working fine.

I was also lucky. I were able change the pre-amp mode without display by reading instructions and guessing the amount of knop turning. :D

I think i'm not going to open it (check display cable) before I get news from the retailer and distributor. Do you think its possible to re-connect easily without knowing much about electronics?

Would really like to know which filter i'm using. Probably it should be the delauft at the moment. So which one is the default? :confused:

John, thank you for all the answers. :)

Hi John,

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/86116171/Evolution-50A-Integrated-Amplifier---Front.jpg

A picture of the matching Creek integrated amplifier - we inherited this project when we took on the design responsibilities for the CD/DAC.

We redesigned the Front panel and Pre-amplifier section to match the pending CD/DAC (Phono Board and Power amplifier sections untouched).

The Software is still an early Beta – but gives you a good idea of the final unit.

The Amplifier also has the option of a Digital FM / AM tuner…

John

I just tested headphones and they are working fine.

I was also lucky. I were able change the pre-amp mode without display by reading instructions and guessing the amount of knop turning. :D

I think i'm not going to open it (check display cable) before I get news from the retailer and distributor. Do you think its possible to re-connect easily without knowing much about electronics?

Would really like to know which filter i'm using. Probably it should be the delauft at the moment. So which one is the default? :confused:

John, thank you for all the answers. :)

Default filter is Optimal Transient XD... Remember the unit will need to be run-in for a few days...

There is a small chance its the cable - but if your not "electronically" inclined, better not fiddle with it...

Default filter is Optimal Transient XD... Remember the unit will need to be run-in for a few days...

There is a small chance its the cable - but if your not "electronically" inclined, better not fiddle with it...

OK, thanks.

Yes I think its better not to mess with the cable if i'm not sure what to do.

Mdac sounded really good already out of the box. Nice to see how it will sound after some time. Though I wouldn't mind getting fully working mdac. ;)

There is probably also the worst firmware (v0.99) installed which I like would like to change. Do I need display for that? Or has IAG changed it to something newer?

EDIT: Just got great news from retailer. Distributor will deliver me a new one friday afternoon. Just have to pack the "old" one for the return delivery. Finally some fast and good service. :)

Hi John,
Wow the Evolution 50A looks really great! Nice Work & thanks for the picture.
Do you also have pictures from the CD/DAC or BDAC? Waiting is so hard!

There is probably also the worst firmware (v0.99) installed which I like would like to change. Do I need display for that? Or has IAG changed it to something newer?

Hi Getari, you don't need a screen to perform the FW update, you'll also be able to confirm what FW version is/was on your M-Dac as the update script will show you FW old version, and new version as you install...mind you now you're sending it back for a replacement you probably won't bother :)

Hi Getari, you don't need a screen to perform the FW update, you'll also be able to confirm what FW version is/was on your M-Dac as the update script will show you FW old version, and new version as you install...mind you now you're sending it back for a replacement you probably won't bother :)

OK, thanks WAD62. Yep you are right, why bother. ;)

Is it possible to do those firmware updates in mixed order. Like if I want to try:
v0.99 -> vA.08
Can I then move to:
vA.08 -> v0.90

Is it normal when using Foobar that it lags a little bit with Flac-files when using Wasapi? :confused:

any firmware can be overwritted with any other firmware, so try whichever takes your fancy.

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back