advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's interesting! Are you using a 19V power supply too like I am? It certainly looks that way on your /dev page!
Yes it is a 19V power supply normally used to power a NUC or the old Mac Mini. But works with the streamer as well.

The Clock circuit and its PSU has over 1000 component so .....
I'm not an electrical engineer!
But what I always take back from the forums is that circuits are compromises.
Is it a good idea trying to compensate myself with more and more components for the constraints I have brought into the project? Is there a less is sometimes more meaningful perhaps a better solution?

Fred, I'm also not an electrical engineer, but I think it is a big difference whether the parts are in the signal path or not.

Fred, I'm also not an electrical engineer, but I think it is a big difference whether the parts are in the signal path or not.
Digital clock is not "in the signal path," but it is really important to the functionality and sound quality of a digital circuit...One could argue that it is in the "digital signal path." But s thousand components in just one part of a circuit sure sounds like a lot.

The clock design for the MDAC2 is truly balanced so this instantly doubles up the number of components + the component count includes the Left and Right channel Array PSU - who's voltage reference / control circuits are powered from the Clock section. It will become obvious why the complexity once full details of the MDAC2 design are revealed - there is MUCH more to the design then I have publicly revealed.

BTW. the direct signal path is most likely one of the simplest - but its supported by a lot of external circuitry for the very best performance.

They say it's 'intelligently designed'... I'd quote that in any forthcoming paper...:D
Nice to see the PCB...several hundred components there I would guess.

Interesting that the review is on the Qobuz site, but there is no mention on the Project site that the Stream Box supports Qobuz. Does it?

Not only is the review on the Qobuz site, but the headline finishes with Qobuzissime !

I take it from this that the reviewer thinks that the Stream Box does a very good job with Qobuz.

John, this Pro-ject box also appears as one of Andrew Everard’s “10 best audio products” on his Christmas gift guide in the current Gramophone. While this isn't really a review, it gives a good plug for the designer!

Not only is the review on the Qobuz site, but the headline finishes with Qobuzissime !

I take it from this that the reviewer thinks that the Stream Box does a very good job with Qobuz.

John, this Pro-ject box also appears as one of Andrew Everard’s “10 best audio products” on his Christmas gift guide in the current Gramophone. While this isn't really a review, it gives a good plug for the designer!

:) I'd be interested to see what Andrew Everard written - I'm no longer in the "ProJect" loop...

Last edited:
Quote from Everard in the linked article proving that he knows nothing:

"We’ve come a long way from little net bags of foil-covered chocolate coins …"

Bollocks! I love those chocolate Coins..... The ones from Lidl this year are ace. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back