advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan to split my time 50:50 between production and MDAC2 design.
My understanding was that MDac2 design was finished ages ago, only the machines necessary for in house building where still not functioning as expected. Wasn't something like that posted here more than a year ago?
Ah yes, and there is the software problem. Only that MDAC2 should have been the 'simple' add-on solution for the existing platform that doesn't need any new software.

No that's NEVER been said, there have been a few spins of the MDAC2 design - but the MDAC2 has progressed WELL beyond the original direction.

Maybe your confusing with Detox which is essentially ready and has been waiting for the production line - it will now follow these Beta streamer units.

WRT software - any new design requires new software, but its not so challenging - what complicates the MDAC2 design is to make it work with the earlier MDAC front panel MCU.

The plan is to still keep the original MDAC front panel - but once we start on the software it might be decided to offer an new front panel PCB and remove the legacy MCU - which ever path is simplest and quickest.

No that's NEVER been said, there have been a few spins of the MDAC2 design - but the MDAC2 has progressed WELL beyond the original direction.
MDAC First Listen (part 00110010)
"I caught between an uncertain delivery time on the FDAC and MDAC2 which I can be certain to deliver within the next 2-3 months - with only the rear panel to worry about (mechanically) - and PCB production here in Europe its a far simpler project.
[...]
The MDAC2 will have a streamer option - but the hardware will be delivered to owners BEFORE we have completed the software (Volumio) for the streamer - as I don't want to delay the MDAC2 delivery.
[...]
Prototypes built mid October ~ production a month afterwards (dependent on component sourcing)"

That was September 2016 and sounded very much as if the prototype was just around the corner. Only 4 weeks from posting. So what exactly has changed since then?

"I caught between an uncertain delivery time on the FDAC and MDAC2 which I can be certain to deliver within the next 2-3 months - with only the rear panel to worry about (mechanically) - and PCB production here in Europe its a far simpler project.
[...]
The MDAC2 will have a streamer option - but the hardware will be delivered to owners BEFORE we have completed the software (Volumio) for the streamer - as I don't want to delay the MDAC2 delivery.
[...]
Prototypes built mid October ~ production a month afterwards (dependent on component sourcing)"

That was September 2016 and sounded very much as if the prototype was just around the corner. Only 4 weeks from posting. So what exactly has changed since then?

Indeed. I'm very curious to hear that!!! It could give us insight into your design process and to help to understand why the product gets delayed all the time.

.....The plan is to still keep the original MDAC front panel - but once we start on the software it might be decided to offer an new front panel PCB and remove the legacy MCU - which ever path is simplest and quickest.

I’ve missed another twist here, at some point previously there was a new front panel, we were only using the chassis and discarded pretty much the entire MDAC.

Just sold my moded m-dac. What DAC can be ordered from John nowdays? Here in Czech Republic you can get Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital. Is it better or comparable with original m-dac? Is there other option? Or some DAC with streamer(currently using RP3 + allo ONE digi out/diet Pi OS)?

Hi John. I've bought a MiniDAC (Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital). So I would like to sell my MDAC. Your posts earlier today suggest I may no longer need to keep my MDAC purely to host MDAC2 - new main board, new PSU, new back panel, and new front panel?

Please could you give guidance as to whether it is "safe" to free up £300 by selling MDAC. Is it worth the £300 opportunity cost to keep MDAC only for the future MDAC2 possibility?

Thanks, Mark.

[...]
[...]

Do I need to order in extra popcorn?

Hmmm, so the salvaged MDAC i have paid for, can't be upgraded ?

I thought it was just going to be a drop in MDAC2 board...and a new power supply to make it work?

Unless something’s changed the board and the rear panel will be replaced. If you go for the streamer there may be a replacement front panel down the line. The rest of the case will be reused.

Unless something’s changed the board and the rear panel will be replaced. If you go for the streamer there may be a replacement front panel down the line. The rest of the case will be reused.
I’m a bit confused-at one point it seemed that the streamer might be mandatory as it was driving the display- or did I get the wrong end of the stick? I thought that had something to do with why the streamer was being done first.
Tbh I have lost the thread.

The streamer is necessary for the most advanced version of the MDAC 2 and will support the advanced front panel.

That’s going to be the first version of the board.

I’ve no longer any idea if some of the options I’ve paid for - ADC and RIAA boards - are still on the road map.

Hmmm, so the salvaged MDAC i have paid for, can't be upgraded ?

I thought it was just going to be a drop in MDAC2 board...and a new power supply to make it work?

I believe your salvaged MDAC will be upgraded.

On the other points I reckon Stunsworth has it right in his posts just above.

The MDAC2 A04-Streamer (beta version being produced next week) with complete MDAC2+Streamer to ship within 6-months. With Detox and DevDac before then. Detox is next in line after the A04-Streamer-beta.

The ADC and RIAA (i too signed up to the L3 FDAC) I reckon, were for the FDAC see http://www.lakewestaudio.com/ which if it happens, has been put forward to after the VFETs, I'm sure John will allow all your FDAC dev payments to be put towards the MDAC2 dev costs, I recall he said you could choose when a final order list is assembled where to apply your development payments. My guess is after the MDAC2 is released, if there is still a need for an FDAC long-term the MDAC2 will morph into the FDAC, by which I mean a new custom full size chassis to transfer the boards to with new displays and ADC/RIAA etc.

I believe your salvaged MDAC will be upgraded.

On the other points I reckon Stunsworth has it right in his posts just above.

The MDAC2 A04-Streamer (beta version being produced next week) with complete MDAC2+Streamer to ship within 6-months. With Detox and DevDac before then. Detox is next in line after the A04-Streamer-beta.

The ADC and RIAA (i too signed up to the L3 FDAC) I reckon, were for the FDAC see http://www.lakewestaudio.com/ which if it happens, has been put forward to after the VFETs, I'm sure John will allow all your FDAC dev payments to be put towards the MDAC2 dev costs, I recall he said you could choose when a final order list is assembled where to apply your development payments. My guess is after the MDAC2 is released, if there is still a need for an FDAC long-term the MDAC2 will morph into the FDAC, by which I mean a new custom full size chassis to transfer the boards to with new displays and ADC/RIAA etc.

Tim,

Thanks for the summary - all points correct including FDAC.

Correct :) Once MDAC2 is released and funds allow then we will tool-up a new front panel for the MDAC2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back