advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry, so you 'like' me politely asking you to go away.

I fear I may be encouraging you, and I have just recieved a PM from someone who blocked your posts some time ago.

As life is both short and precious I feel that I cannot devote more time to reading your asinine ramblings so reluctantly I now also no longer see your posts.

Best wishes.

Paul.

Realistically, do you think we’ll see the finished MDAC in 2018? I just want to finish up my system for good, it’d be nice to know when that might happen.,,...

Realistically, do you think we’ll see the finished MDAC in 2018? I just want to finish up my system for good, it’d be nice to know when that might happen.,,...
I imagine everyone here has a different view. For me this project jumped the shark a very long time ago. I now have some hopes but not much by way of expectation.

The way I see it, is that production issues with Chinese factories have been sidestepped for the boards at least. So the MDAC2 should follow soon (couple of months hopefully). John is going to produce the streamer boards for these in the next few weeks and I'd like to see the first MDAC2 board soon after.

As for the chassis for the Detox, VFET and FDAC, hopefully John can get a European vendor or better still go for an off-the-shelf product. Perhaps John would supply the PCB and we could buy the recommended chassis and PSU for the Detox. Anyway, once the Detox chassis issue is overcome, I would expect production of that to start in the next couple of months too.

I don't know what a streamer would do for me as I don't mind having a laptop in my HiFi with control from a tablet. Sure I get the odd WiFi connectivity issue which is annoying but I've just become accustomed to reentering IP addresses, which randomly change for no apparent reason, maybe the streamer will help with this, I don't know. So maybe for some like me, the MDAC2 board could be released sooner if there are software issues with the streamer, especially if there is an easy way to connect/mount the streamer at a later date...Oh! I just remembered there is some cpu function on the streamer that controls the DAC chips, so the last option is out.

I imagine everyone here has a different view. For me this project jumped the shark a very long time ago. I now have some hopes but not much by way of expectation.
It’s of somewhat lower importance now for me anyway since I got the Brooklyn, but I’ve skin in the game and would like to at least get the chance to compare MDAC2 to Brooklyn and organise my systems accordingly. Mind you, I’m not keen to put any more money into MDAC2 at this point, just in case...

It’s of somewhat lower importance now for me anyway since I got the Brooklyn, but I’ve skin in the game and would like to at least get the chance to compare MDAC2 to Brooklyn and organise my systems accordingly. Mind you, I’m not keen to put any more money into MDAC2 at this point, just in case...
I agree. I would like to say that now the production is nearly sorted out, we're nearly there. But we have been 3 months away before. I'm afraid to say that I think there will be another problem. I don;t like the idea of a dac which needs a streamer. That sounds suspiciously like being locked in forever.

That sounds suspiciously like being locked in forever.
Not true! If you want to use another streamer/cd player etc. you connect it to the digital input and don't use the inbuilt. problem solved ;)
For the display / remote control you are usually locked in. I cannot think about a normal hifi piece where you are not.

And buy the way the trend is that DAC and streamer is in the same device just look at Naim as an example.

I believe the Streamer built into the MDAC is almost essential now. To get the most out of the new DAC it would be pertinent to having a bit-perfect data source. This will be clock locked and MQA certified which removes a variable in questionable audio fidelity!

I believe the Streamer built into the MDAC is almost essential now. To get the most out of the new DAC it would be pertinent to having a bit-perfect data source. This will be clock locked and MQA certified which removes a variable in questionable audio fidelity!

I think many just wanted an improved DAC ...
So many working streamer solutions already out there.
John isn't good in software, and reality is this can be a bottomless pit, pooring in time & money.

Next thing what will happen is that ESS announces their latest & greatest Sabre DAC flagship, and then the development cycle starts all over once more.

Don't blame John, he can't help himself, compromises aren't in his book, so it's never going to be good enough. Remember he promised to design the best DAC he could, well it's never gonna be the best, always something that can be improved.

I think many just wanted an improved DAC ...
So many working streamer solutions already out there.
John isn't good in software, and reality is this can be a bottomless pit, pooring in time & money.

Next thing what will happen is that ESS announces their latest & greatest Sabre DAC flagship, and then the development cycle starts all over once more.

Don't blame John, he can't help himself, compromises aren't in his book, so it's never going to be good enough. Remember he promised to design the best DAC he could, well it's never gonna be the best, always something that can be improved.
Couldn't be more d'accord!
Especially what you wrote about the next DAC chip starting what we witness for 4 or 5 years now again. Something new always appears out of the blue. The message that MDac is practically developed to the end and just 'small improvements are left to be done' must have appeared 2014 at least for the 1st time. Wouldn't be surprised either if we hear again soon that we all need a new case anyway and so have to wait for FDAC after all (which sure is only some few months away). Happy Christmas for all!

If you ever get the MDAC2 (I sincerely hope you do) I'd be really interested in how it compares with the Brooklyn.

I just want to finish up my system for good
.... THAT will newer happen, that's the fun part *s*...

The god side is that, at least for me, the VFET will have tougher competition.... Gone is the MC275 wit all the lovely tubes ;). In is a Musik Lap apm ( think next generation of GAMUT D200 ) It is shocking good *s*

Dev dac boards are done, streamers next. It's all good.

Is this correct? My understanding was that the Beta-Mini-Streamers (8 boards) were done and the Dev-dac Beta units were in the works (design complete) and while Streamer-production-line was in place a further (much larger batch) of MDAC2-Streamers was being produced currently (for the MDAC2 orders). I may be wrong?

For those of you not following progress on FB:-

Beta Ministreamers are built and ready to ship - waiting upon Jarek to complete the Firmware (early next week) then they will be shipped to Beta testers.

I'm now programming the MDAC2 A04 Streamer PCB into the P&P machine - production scheduled next week.

Once we have the first MDAC2 A04 Streamer PCB's we can complete testing on the DevDAC PCB. Once the testing and Firmware is completed then we can build the DevDAC boards & ship them as a set with the MDAC2 Streamer boards (to Beta Testers).

As soon as the DevDAC / MDAC2 streamers are shipped I'll start on Detox production.

I plan to split my time 50:50 between production and MDAC2 design.

Any ESS developments DO NOT impact the MDAC2. (I have insight into the ESS development team, and theirs nothing on the drawing board that impacts the direction of Lakewest).

Within 6 months or sooner MDAC2 should ship - then VFET's.

The MDAC2 design has morphed well beyond what the original design or FDAC where ever going to be, so I'm not sure WHAT direction FDAC will take ATM.

I should add that I only plan to build 6 MDAC2 Streamer PCB's at this time (x4 for beta testers and x2 for internal R&D) until the Beta testers have evaluated the hardware - there is no point building the full batch only for the potential of a hardware bug to be discovered from the Beta units that we could then correct....

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back