advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well mainly the fact that it hasn't happened yet, but coupled specifically with the recent information that from John that he does not consider it practical to get anyone to manufacture the detox or the Mdac2.

Adam,

Just got back to the computer after unpacking and test the SMD reflow oven to read this! - wow thanks a lot!

Partially correct, I now dont see it practical to manufacture 100 pcs each say of the MDAC2 / Detox electronics in China because of the time and effort required + direct impact on unit cost.

Chassis (metal work etc) Packaging, PSU. and component sourcing will still be via China z(already arranged with parts / vendors approved etc.) - but until order Qtys justify the "aggravation" of China production we will manufacture the small Qtys. of PFM units here in my Lab.

Once the initial PFM units are shipped, we will see if theres any interest, but we have to reach ATLEAST 300 pcs. to justify China production. But, if there where to be mass production China batch I'd have first hand experience of any issues during the PFM units' build.

Manufacturing any further units here on our "low rate" SMD line is not feasible as I'm building the PFM units for "Free" in that I dont make any money, the real cost of time and effort on our low rate SMD line would make the Detox too expensive - I'd need to find an SMD production engineer (I'm too costly to be operating an SMD line), and good luck with that here!.

As soon as the SMT Pick and Place machine is ordered and the delivery date confirmed, I will open the initial "At Cost" payment for the Detox to purchase the required items from China - in a perfect world these would arrive in Europe just as we have the SMD P&P machine building boards. I recently purchased a small Reflow oven (bigger then I expected) and hand stencil printer.

Funding arranged for the Pick and Place machine, I'm now in discussions with the manufacturer on what feeders and options we need - final quote then the PO will be raised.

As soon as we are ready to go - lets see just how many people will forward the first "At Cost" Detox payment.... I'd be happy if 50% commit to the next stage...

MDAC2 will follow the Detox, but the design is still not completed.

Now, to pack and ship Michaels units...

Michael,

I'm sending you the prototype Detox with the following issues:-

1. No silkscreen

2. Optical input jack panel cutout is too small so optical cable does not fully seat home

3. ***Different colour "White" LED's as the middle (Clock Lock) LED is dual colour - production units will have dual colour LED's in all positions even when we only need single colour to insure all LED's colour's match (White).

4. The unit has been heavily used in the lab for sample component approval and testing so is well hacked - I also scratched the top :(

5. On this prototype the Max decorrelation level has not been set (limited) as we are interested in listening to extreme levels to aid testing - beyond about 65% to 75% you can experience the MDAC USB input randomly loosing synchronisation lock which results in a mid level "dirty" tone, just cycle the MDAC's input and turn the Detox's decorrelation level down.

6. There is a bug in the MDAC "Detox" software, you have to reselect the 12MHz clock output each time you select the USB input / power up (after loosing lock etc). Detox's LED changes from Red to White when locked.

7. Input DC jack sparks when connecting the adaptor - so best to plug the adaptor into the Detox, then into the AC power.

Apart from the MDAC software bug, the above points are only relevant to this 1st "prototype" unit. The MDAC software is currently only V0.90 revision with added Detox support.

*** Buddy was so upset about the mismatched LED colour he decided best to remove it by trying to chew it clean off while I worked on tidying up the PCB!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wmparckdgn9dah1/Buddy LED.JPG?dl=0

Adam,

Just got back to the computer after unpacking and test the SMD reflow oven to read this! - wow thanks a lot!

Partially correct, I now dont see it practical to manufacture 100 pcs each say of the MDAC2 / Detox electronics in China because of the time and effort required + direct impact on unit cost.

Chassis (metal work etc) Packaging, PSU. and component sourcing will still be via China z(already arranged with parts / vendors approved etc.) - but until order Qtys justify the "aggravation" of China production we will manufacture the small Qtys. of PFM units here in my Lab.

Once the initial PFM units are shipped, we will see if theres any interest, but we have to reach ATLEAST 300 pcs. to justify China production. But, if there where to be mass production China batch I'd have first hand experience of any issues during the PFM units' build.

Manufacturing any further units here on our "low rate" SMD line is not feasible as I'm building the PFM units for "Free" in that I dont make any money, the real cost of time and effort on our low rate SMD line would make the Detox too expensive - I'd need to find an SMD production engineer (I'm too costly to be operating an SMD line), and good luck with that here!.

As soon as the SMT Pick and Place machine is ordered and the delivery date confirmed, I will open the initial "At Cost" payment for the Detox to purchase the required items from China - in a perfect world these would arrive in Europe just as we have the SMD P&P machine building boards. I recently purchased a small Reflow oven (bigger then I expected) and hand stencil printer.

Funding arranged for the Pick and Place machine, I'm now in discussions with the manufacturer on what feeders and options we need - final quote then the PO will be raised.

As soon as we are ready to go - lets see just how many people will forward the first "At Cost" Detox payment.... I'd be happy if 50% commit to the next stage...

MDAC2 will follow the Detox, but the design is still not completed.

Now, to pack and ship Michaels units...
Thanks for the update. The moment you are ready to go I'm sure there will be plenty of people ready to commit.

Yay, lucky me :)

I'm sorry Michael, in getting your unit ready for shipping I tock the MDAC sleeve out of your carton box and noticed markings on the sleeve, when I assembled the unit together I said to myself there's no way I can ship the best sounding (and most expensive) MDAC looking like this, so I removed the sleeve to clean it under running water and used a "ruff" sponge to rub away the marks... bad idea as I damaged the surface and now the top looks much worst with not so fine scratch marks from the sponge :(

What a mess!!! I'll have to try and order you a replacement silver sleeve from the UK - I'm sure you will use your unit "open" in the short term as you need to get to the clock control - maybe we can meet in Munich and I give you a replacement sleeve - I should have left it "dirty" - I feel really sick for the damage I caused :(

It just looked so tatty.. now I've made it much WORST! I'm very sorry, it sometimes it really does not pay to try being a perfectionist :(

Shit happens :)

Is the MDAC already en route? I'm a bit worried, because Good Friday is a bank holiday here.

so I removed the sleeve to clean it under running water and used a "ruff" sponge to rub away the marks... bad idea as I damaged the surface and now the top looks much worst

...I learned, never try clean a hard rubber/plastic with solvent, turns into a sticky mess that can not be undone!!!! 8-/

When I worked for HP before they became a PC vendor, we used 2 solvents: Safeclean was so safe it didn't clean & Ultraclean that dissolved moving coil meter covers as one tech found out! We went on to use isopropyl alcohol that can haze some paint that meths is fine with. Foam cleaners are good water-based cleaners for some stuff.

It is 1315 days from the start date to the end date, end date included,

or 3 years, 7 months, 7 days including the end date.

Looking forward receiving Detox in April as the first LakeWest product ... :)

Michael,

I missed the postal deadline yesterday - I'm so upset as we rushed to have the packages ready after reading your post - I have no idea it was Good Friday or bank holiday this week - I work in such isloation.

I felt is was not good to ship you units today as I'm nervous about them packages sitting in a warehouse over the holidays - what do you think?

We can post the packages Tomorrow or Tuesday?

Its been a bad week.... :(

It is 1315 days from the start date to the end date, end date included,

or 3 years, 7 months, 7 days including the end date.

Looking forward receiving Detox in April as the first LakeWest product ... :)

LarsS,

You MIST have read the recent post by me concerning progress? so YOUR ONLY intent can be to stoke the fire.

With such "SUPPORT" I would PREFER you remove yourself from the Detox project - I'm so upset with your CONSTANT attacks, its not helpful and only serves to make my life hell as I push myself beyond my working limits. I'm spending over 25,000 Euros to manufacture GBP5000 worth of Detox's - so PLEASE give me a break!

Once I have confirmation on the Pick and Place machine order - THEN I'll open the first Detox "At Cost" payments for items to be sourced from China, this is the first step for Detox manufacture.

As the P&P machine is manufactured in Poland - and being a devout Christian country I doubt we will get the order confirmation this side of Easter as we are still negotiating the final price.

We can post the packages Tomorrow or Tuesday?
I'd prefer tomorrow. That way the packages should arrive on wednesday, maybe even tuesday. If you're going to ship with Česká pošta again, the packages should be safe with DHL over the weekend. Usually they don't mess around (too much) in their own backyard.

LarsS,

You MIST have read the recent post by me concerning progress? so YOUR ONLY intent can be to stoke the fire.

With such "SUPPORT" I would PREFER you remove yourself from the Detox project - I'm so upset with your CONSTANT attacks, its not helpful and only serves to make my life hell as I push myself beyond my working limits. I'm spending over 25,000 Euros to manufacture GBP5000 worth of Detox's - so PLEASE give me a break!

Once I have confirmation on the Pick and Place machine order - THEN I'll open the first Detox "At Cost" payments for items to be sourced from China, this is the first step for Detox manufacture.

As the P&P machine is manufactured in Poland - and being a devout Christian country I doubt we will get the order confirmation this side of Easter as we are still negotiating the final price.

John,

Sorry to upset you, not meaning to stoke a fire as you put it.

I do have a strong opinion on me spending my hard earned money on promises being made by you on delivering products and not fulfilling them.

I've done my best to support you by offering myself as project manager free of charge, refused by you unfortunately.

As of now I've lost 120GBP having sold my FDAC stake, a loss I can take. Not with a smile, but I can live with it.

I'd say my biggest concern is the way you broke our joint supporters agreements being made concerning moving from MDAC2 to FDAC.

We had a joint poll where most of us supporters voted in favour of leaving the MDAC2 design in favour of the new full width FDAC.

Now, you decided on your own to break this joint supporter agreement without consulting us and for one reason or the other to continue pursuing a MDAC2 design.

Not holding a joint agreement is not OK with me.

I've failed a number of times in my career, that happens to everyone, especially if you're willing to take some risks

You have a number of fanboys John who'll most likely attack me after this post, and I'm fine with that, no probs.

Finally John, let's call this adventure what it is after 1365 days and no delivered product: ___________________________ (left blank for John to fill in)

LarsS, if your definition of a fanboy is anyone who has a different opinion of John and his work to yourself, then I'm proud to declare my membership of that group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back