advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Samsung 950 Pro is a PCIe NVMe SSD. The iMX6 is limited to SATA drives.

Keep in mind that M.2 (NGFF) is just a standard that specifies the physical connector, pcb size and a bunch of possible interface protocols. In theory M.2 can support both SATA and PCIe drives (amongst some other stuff).

I would prefer a 2.5" bay for SATA drives since I already own a bunch of them.

Edit: Despite the technical issues, the 950 Pro rather expensive. A cheap SATA drive like the Samsung 850 EVO will do just fine. I was thinking about using one of my existing SanDisk Extreme Pro or Extreme II drives.

The VFET Slave DAC Upgrade idea sounds familiar. Didn't you mention this before as next possible evolution step for the VFET?

Yes, during my brainstorming session in the bath this morning (Renata told me last night I need to shave - I've not had the time to shaved since Munich) - I decided the best route to insure no VFET owner is "left behind" is to put the VFET's Input Stage / DAC option on a module accessible via the rear panel, then the VFET owner can upgrade / choose between standard Analogue inputs or Digital Power I/V operation by simply swapping the modules.

You can have both cards so in the future you can always go back to simple Analogue inputs. Also the Tubes will be on this Card so in case of a tube issues many years down the line :) I can always just ship a replacement card with new tubes etc.

The only requirement for the VFET's to be compatible with both Analogue input and Digital Power I/V stage modules is to have the optional 7' touch screens fitted to both MonoBlocks.

John, thank you for your reply. It helps to clarify things. I assume that the extra internal screening option and various other options will get sorted out just before you start ordering things, as I can’t see anywhere to pay for it now. Do you want us to start paying the £280 FDAC now?

Sorry for calling your Detox a Regen. I keep thinking of it as a Regen.

It's great to see you making progress. It seems to be speeding up now.

All the best
Martin

No "production" payments are required at this time until everything is ready and in place for production :)

Hi, been away for a while, things have moved on a bit eh!. Am I right in thinking if you can use Roon with tidal on Fdac and burn cd to an internal drive this will be an all in one solution?. Was going to purchase a Aurender n100h but looks like I won't now!!.

Yes thats the idea - BUT it will take time for the initial release software to become fully feature and developed - it will be a continues and gradual improvement :)

I'm sure we all feel your pain, John. On the upside, when you redo it you'll probably find an even better design now your brain has had the chance to process some more.

Thanks Paul, and as you say when I worked on it again at it I found a route for a small improvement :)

misterdog

I had no problem with vinyl as you can hold it and place it on the turntable without touching the playing surface. You can also with CDs loading onto a tray, but not so easy with a slot loader. I'm still playing 30 year old CDs that look brand new. Would they last so well in a slot loader? However I have no problem for very occasional use or for ripping.

Thanks for replying. We all want the same thing in the end.

You insert a finger into the centre hole and one on the edge and just inset into the slot, no need to "Touch" the reading area.

The CD ejects far enough out to get to the centre hole...

If its of any use to anyone, this is how I have modified my MDAC PSU board for use with a 2x CALEX power supplies feeding DC to the existing power socket. The onboard MDAC rectifiers and MOSFET switches are bypassed but the 4700uF and smaller caps remain in circuit.

The MDAC power switch now only switches the digital +ve rail. The analogue rails are permanently live.

hth

cheers

simon

Nice one Simon! How do you find the change in SQ? Are you running your MDAC naked or in original box?

Just been listening to Glenn Kotche - Drumkit Quartet No. 54 at 24/96 - the tom toms are so realistic, and the wee bell rings beautifully :D

Yes, during my brainstorming session in the bath this morning (Renata told me last night I need to shave - I've not had the time to shaved since Munich) - I decided the best route to insure no VFET owner is "left behind" is to put the VFET's Input Stage / DAC option on a module accessible via the rear panel, then the VFET owner can upgrade / choose between standard Analogue inputs or Digital Power I/V operation by simply swapping the modules.

You can have both cards so in the future you can always go back to simple Analogue inputs. Also the Tubes will be on this Card so in case of a tube issues many years down the line :) I can always just ship a replacement card with new tubes etc.

The only requirement for the VFET's to be compatible with both Analogue input and Digital Power I/V stage modules is to have the optional 7' touch screens fitted to both MonoBlocks.

Excellent!

That sounds good but expensive! Seriously though, is there a rough estimate for the balance that'll be due on the VFETs?

img_20160519_184725_srjsti.jpg

I'm almost good to go :D

That sounds good but expensive! Seriously though, is there a rough estimate for the balance that'll be due on the VFETs?

Paul,

Should not add too much extra expense... :) as cost is in the chassis / PSU etc. which is part of the VFET anyway, by comparison the Plug-in card is relativity "low cost" to build :)

Sometimes it's what you don't see that counts..

P1000804.JPG

No box colouration please, I even wrapped the port with some sound damping
material (from the plumbers merchant obviously :D )

Very nice!

Could you please supply details on the (super)tweeter, e.g., Freq Response?

What are the relative sensitivities of the Quad and tweeter?

Been playing with a DIY supertweeter (Taket BatPure) but struggling with a 20dB sensitivity difference with my M-L CLXs. Mfgr says that supertweeter will still be effective even at that.

Simon,

The psu boards are custom made by a friend of mine. He uses them in several of his own products. Talema 70043 transformer, 2x2200uf per rail, LM317/LM337 voltage regulators. The transformer for the digital rail is wired in parallel.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back