advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101101)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Seta features:
  • Internal Low Noise AGM Rechargeable Battery Power Supply
  • Cartridge Loading: External Switch
  • Precision Cartridge Channel Balance TRIM Control

It's not clear whether the FDAC will emulate these features. Of course, it does not emulate Seta's pricing, either. :D

Cartridge loading and "Precision Cartridge Channel Balance TRIM Control" are both features of the FDAC Phono stage but they are not the most important :)

1. Are we also going to be at the mercy of MiniDSP's pricing decisions?

For the MiniDSP software - Yes :) its not for more to dictate there business model,but there own products are very competitively priced :)

MiniDSP are a very decent company.

We can also write our own DSP software.

2. Perhaps a more future-proof solution for larger and/or upgradeable capacity could be considered? Or does the FDAC enable a music server in other ways?

Nothing at this time as I don't see the FDAC's main purpose to be a mediocre music server that will be outdated within a few years.

2. Perhaps a more future-proof solution for larger and/or upgradeable capacity could be considered? Or does the FDAC enable a music server in other ways?
If you're serious about this & if John/Jarek decide to implement something like squeezebox (eg. a built in player), you should be able to use the USB host port to connect an external flash drive / ssd / spinning drive. If you also need that port for something else, slap an USB hub on there.

Technically possible, but might not be 100% officially supported. :) If the platform is open enough (ie. with a way to flash your own modified OS image), I might cook something up.

(If you're concerned about physical size, don't be - flash disks can be really tiny - www.ebay.com/itm/331163261487 and their capacity will only grow.)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
IMO music server is a feature that I see best left outside the FDAC. It is simply not a scalable solution and a can of worms.

But adding squeezelite so the DAC can be an endpoint makes perfectly sense.
I think that if the FDAC can get Squeezelite that is enough and I can easily wait because in the mean time I can use RPI -> Detox -> FDAC.
You can run LMS on anything can't see the problem of having LMS on a RPI.

I have by the way tested Roon this weekend.

I used an RPI 2 with piCorePlayer(squeezelite) as an endpoint and streamed DSD and 24-192 without any problem into my Hugo which confirmed that it was DSD and 24-192 it received.

If Roon is probably outside the budget for many but then LMS to the same squeezelite is a perfect solution.

By the way here is an explanation of
RAAT and Clock ownership

As I read it it is the DAC clock that matters when running RAAT or Squeezelite. This is not the case with protocols like AirPlay.

Slowly bring various sections of the Detox PCB to Life - starting with sections Jarek needs for the FDAC :)

Looking good so far :)

The FDAC phone stage sits in front of the Analogue-to-Digital Converter (ADC). The converted signal enters the FDAC digital domain and can be listened to like any other digital source. You can apply all available processing like room correction to the signal. Besides that there is an ADC record option.

There is no direct analogue signal path for the phono stage.

Does that mean if you already have a phono amp/stage that you do not need the FDAC phono stage but you can simply connect that to the ADC which I assume will have a user input?

Yes :) you can use you existing Phono stage with FDAC L3 - but you cannot use the FDAC Digital RIAA mode.

Yes :) you can use you existing Phono stage with FDAC L3 - but you cannot use the FDAC Digital RIAA mode.

Thanks for the reply. What is the implication of not being able to use the FDAC Digital RIAA mode?

I take it that the converted signal from the external phono stage that enters the FDAC via the ADC can still be listened to like any other digital source and that you can apply all available processing like room correction to the signal?

Will it still be possible to use the ADC record option?

What inputs will the ADC have as I believe I read that it will only be balanced? Will there be a RCA input, most phono cables use male RCA connectors?

Thanks for the reply. What is the implication of not being able to use the FDAC Digital RIAA mode?
The FDAC phone pre will allow the user to choose between analogue and digital RIAA equalization. Maybe the digital version will be user adjustable for some tweaking...

Most likely your external phono pre won't allow you to turn off it's analogue RIAA equalization.

I take it that the converted signal from the external phono stage that enters the FDAC via the ADC can still be listened to like any other digital source and that you can apply all available processing like room correction to the signal?
Yes

Will it still be possible to use the ADC record option?
Yes

What inputs will the ADC have as I believe I read that it will only be balanced? Will there be a RCA input, most phono cables use male RCA connectors?
Two XLR Inputs, no RCA. You can build a simple adapter cable as explained by John: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2762169#post2762169

Just a quick maintenance question.

My M-DAC volume dial is acting up. It does not respond sometimes when turning it.

I have blown it with compressed air and it did improve some, but it is slowly degrading again.

Would it be alright to spray a little electrical cleaner?

Thanks in advance

The FDAC Phono stage is designed as an integral part of the ADC circuit - so its not possible to extract the analogue signal without extra circuit complexity.... :(

Thanks for clarifying John, I suspected there might be a very good reason it wasn't already being done. Ah well.

Hi John

Can you kindly advise on this. My system is a Michell Orbe, SME V arm, Benz Wood cartridge fed into an A.N.T. Audio Kora 3T pre-amp which I assume has a fixed RIAA equalization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint

The FDAC phone pre will allow the user to choose between analogue and digital RIAA equalization. Maybe the digital version will be user adjustable for some tweaking...

Most likely your external phono pre won't allow you to turn off it's analogue RIAA equalization.

Quote:

Two XLR Inputs, no RCA. You can build a simple adapter cable as explained by John: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/s...69#post2762169

Why is there apparently only balanced inputs into the ADC and no RCA?

You can connect single ended sources to balanced inputs without any negative impact. But this doesn't work the other way around. So with the space problem on hand it makes sense to go for XLR only.

Hi John

Can you kindly advise on this. My system is a Michell Orbe, SME V arm, Benz Wood cartridge fed into an A.N.T. Audio Kora 3T pre-amp which I assume has a fixed RIAA equalization.

Quote:

Quote:

Two XLR Inputs, no RCA. You can build a simple adapter cable as explained by John: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/s...69#post2762169

A balanced input for phone is the way to go its more important than elsewhere because of the low signal level and high gain of

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back