advertisement

MDAC First Listen (Part 00101010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You
Hi John - just paid Detox development installment - I'm becoming a "JW Completist" !

JohnW sure has brand loyalty...still hasn't said how he plans to sign or badge the FDAC, DETOX or VFET....sure could add value in this department too. Anybody got any designs to help JohnW here?

You

JohnW sure has brand loyalty...still hasn't said how he plans to sign or badge the FDAC, DETOX or VFET....sure could add value in this department too. Anybody got any designs to help JohnW here?
Just imagine it ... after testing each unit, he'd use a big branding iron to sign it. :) (A bit painful for the DAC, but it's a signature for life.)

Just imagine it ... after testing each unit, he'd use a big branding iron to sign it. :) (A bit painful for the DAC, but it's a signature for life.)

I was thinking more on the lines of a permanent marker pen on the rear panel label...or on the PCB inside....but a soldering iron branding might be the new way....like a body piercing?

It's bizarre but I was certain it was a 650VA in the 250MR Tag McLaren modules!? - Ricardo still has these and hopefully, if he has the inclination to open his TMA mono to verify?

https://www.avforums.com/threads/th...-same-as-the-tag-mclaren-250mr.1411129/page-2

See Post #42 as an example - Kevin had sourced an original 650VA Transformer and sent to our French friend a few years ago...

"I dismantle a 250MR. I measured the diameter of the conductors of the transformer primary. They are larger than those of 8200MB. The show features 8200MB 380VA and 650VA those of the 250MR."

I saw someone else even managed to retro-fit 800VA transformers into his 250X2R, but I can't find that old thread now that I look?

Cest la vie...if AUDIOLAB have changed the case in such a way, it is what it is now.

Your mods sound very promising nonetheless and on my shortlist ...I would love VFET but its just a stretch too far - around £1K-2K I could muster up in the future, but I would like to buy right this time (running with Monitor Audio PL200 which are £5250 speakers so deserve something slightly exotic)

Best regards

Paul

Paul,

I've never seen a TAG250 - so cannot comment, but I can say there is just noway a significantly physically larger transformer can be squeezed into the IAG 8200MB design.

Going from 380VA to 650VA is a big jump, and you simply cannot get such an increase in power unless you increase the size of the transformer - and as you can see from the earlier posted pictures there is no space within the IAG chassis - its packed to the limit...

I'd not read too much into the copper thickness, what counts is the core size... With increased copper prices thermal limits are pushed by transformer vendors - but in rather simplistic terms its the core size that really matters.

Maybe something like:-

film-dog.png

(Apologies to whoever did the original version)

Richard!!! :)

We where joking about boots today at diner with friends and I mentioned how my reputation had got so bad here on PFM that "someone" had even edited our dearest Paris wearing boots - just wanted to say you had as laughing!! :D

Richard!!! :)

We where joking about boots today at diner with friends and I mentioned how my reputation had got so bad here on PFM that "someone" had even edited our dearest Paris wearing boots - just wanted to say you had as laughing!! :D

Glad it got a laugh. Doing it was fun too. :)

- Richard.

Welcome to the Detox project :)

Yes, I have a basement full of brand new "Donor" 8200MB's which are now surplice to requirement - I can convert them to true "balanced only" operation for your MDAC / FDAC :) - removing the cheap opamp in the design I hope will remove the "Brightness" that I so despise with these amps in there standard form!!!

GBP450 each (with basic mods) - for the money they will be a decent and VERY powerful amps - with Bass that's REALLY impressive, and I'll resolve there horrid harsh and "forward" brightness!

Yep, that was always going to be easy! :p

Just happen to be listening to a Dvorak quintet via the MDAC and 8200s and not hearing any of the horrid brightness. Perhaps it's the pair of 69 year old cochleas i use in my system.

John, did you yet do a similar set of measurements on the Regen as you did on the Jitterbug?

If you look back over the measurements you will see some comparative measurements with the jitter bug - but really nothing interesting to see. I know where I'd spend my money...

If you look back over the measurements you will see some comparative measurements with the jitter bug - but really nothing interesting to see. I know where I'd spend my money...

Sorry for the cross-post. Apologies, too - I didn't see Regen measurements - I'll have a look now!

Edit: sorry, I meant new measurements with the Regen SMPS Vs your bench supply

Did your new spectrum analyser arrive yet?

Sorry for the cross-post. Apologies, too - I didn't see Regen measurements - I'll have a look now!

Edit: sorry, I meant new measurements with the SMPS Vs your bench supply

OH, that's a different question, I'll make some measurement maybe later today, as soon as I complete the design of a PCB section on the FDAC.

Problem is I don't want the results to be seen as "critical" of the ReGen, rather of SMPS's in general.

Did your new spectrum analyser arrive yet?

About 5 minutes ago Renata submitted paperwork for the import duty / Tax :( thats an extra 25% or so... :(

Guess it will be here late next week

OH, that's a different question, I'll make some measurement maybe later today, as soon as I complete the design of a PCB section on the FDAC.

Problem is I don't want the results to be seen as "critical" of the ReGen, rather of SMPS's in general.
Sure, that's a given but there's no accounting for how folk bend these things

About 5 minutes ago Renata submitted paperwork for the import duty / Tax :( thats an extra 25% or so... :(

Guess it will be here late next week
Bummer on the extra 25% cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back