advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steven,

Hey :) good to hear from you after all these years - YES time has really flown!

I'd be more then happy to add you to the MDAC2 list :), the payment button is at the bottom of this link (the first 4 development installments):-

http://mdac2.lakewestaudio.com/

If you decide to later upgrade to the full width chassis - then you can send me your original MDAC1 PCB and we will replace the capacitors so you can restore your MDAC1 to original condition :)
Hi John,
I believe I haven't send my 4th installment yet, I kind of lost the track of my payment status could you please check it for me? If I decide to upgrade to the full width chassis, should I go with the first payment option 'L2 (4th) Development Installment'? I replaced my paypal account since I cannot use that email address anymore. I will pm you my old paypal account.

Hi John, I couldn't pm you cause your message box is full. I just send my 4th installment via the first option, hopefully I did it right... How should I let you know my Paypal account? I'd like to send my MDAC1 PCB to you for the capacitor replacement. I've decided to go with the full width Chassis for the MDAC2. Shuold I just wait for now?

Hi John,

I am using M-DAC vA.10, with coaxial S/PDIF output from 1212m. However, sometimes there is "clicking" noise when playing music. The "clicking" seems to be produced once between several minutes randomly during music playback. Do you know what the problem is? Thanks

Hi John,

I was in Canada where the voltage is 120V. I traveled to China two months ago with my MDAC. Unfortunately, I forgot the voltage here is 220V when I tried to turn it on. The MDAC was on for a few second, before the LED screen turn to be completely black. Do you think it is broken? If it is, do you think it will be a problem that I use this MDAC for my MDAC2 upgrade? Thanks~

Alavan,

Yes, its easy to forget about the voltage differences.

Are you still in China?

I'll be out in HK/China end of this month maybe we can arrange something.

I'm sure the AC Adapter has failed + possibly the AC power board, unfortunately we plan to use both with the MDAC2 upgrade so I should repair these for you.

I'll atleast try to source a 110V adapter while in Asia (and maybe a 230V if your planning to stay in China - let me know your plans.

Thank you for the 4th installment.

Hi John,

I am using M-DAC vA.10, with coaxial S/PDIF output from 1212m. However, sometimes there is "clicking" noise when playing music. The "clicking" seems to be produced once between several minutes randomly during music playback. Do you know what the problem is? Thanks

Try setting the Jitter rejection (Jitter Bandwidth) to the Highest setting in the MDAC's Menu.

Installed Uptone Regen into MDAC today, improved sound without a doubt. For the $$'s a worthwhile investment.

MediaPC w. PPA v2 USB card powered by HDPlex LPS - Uptone Regen powered by HDPlex LPS - MDAC - Norma Revo IPA -140

Listening to Rodrigo y Gabriela "Live in Japan 2008", amazing sound. It was really good before the Regen, up at least a couple of notches post Regen.

:) just as I suspected... Jitter has a nasty habit of creeping across domains.

Hi John,

I'm from Hong Kong and I'm new to this forum and thread.
I have an original MDAC that has never been modified.
Is the MDAC2 is open for newcomer?
If yes, what payment option do I pick as below?

1. L2 (4th) Development Installment £100.00 GBP
2. Combined 1st – 4th Development Installment £400.00 GBP
3. Toy/Fusion Owners L2 Development Installment £100.00 GBP
4. MDAC2 Slave Units (L2 or L3) £300.00 GBP

Installed Uptone Regen into MDAC today, improved sound without a doubt. For the $$'s a worthwhile investment.

MediaPC w. PPA v2 USB card powered by HDPlex LPS - Uptone Regen powered by HDPlex LPS - MDAC - Norma Revo IPA -140

Listening to Rodrigo y Gabriela "Live in Japan 2008", amazing sound. It was really good before the Regen, up at least a couple of notches post Regen.

Lars,
Somehow I am surprised that you find an improvement with the Uptone Regen because if you read the marking material and reviews of PPA or SOtM USB cards then they should provide complete isolation and clean power when used with a LPS which means you should not hear any improvement with the Uptone Regen added to the chain.

Can you try the Uptone Regen on a standard USB port?

I am just wondering if the Uptone Regen can make the PPA v2 USB card redundant.

Rune,

Had my brother-in-law visiting over the weekend, he's got the same audio/musical profile/interests as myself so we had some fun time evaluating my setup.

What we did try was the following different setups with subsequent voting (over some good wine & beer) using JRiver & Tidal:

1. MediaPC Std USB - Norma built in DAC
2. MediaPC Std USB - MDAC

3. MediaPC PPA USB - Norma built in DAC
4. MediaPC PPA USB - MDAC

5. MediaPC PPA USB - Regen - Norma built in DAC
6. MediaPC PPA USB - Regen - MDAC

My brother-in-law's favourite was #5, in all instances he preferred the Norma built in DAC whereas for me it was a close call between #5 & 6. Different sonic signatures between the two DAC's.

As always ... with my ears in my system.

Alavan,

Yes, its easy to forget about the voltage differences.

Are you still in China?

I'll be out in HK/China end of this month maybe we can arrange something.

I'm sure the AC Adapter has failed + possibly the AC power board, unfortunately we plan to use both with the MDAC2 upgrade so I should repair these for you.

I'll atleast try to source a 110V adapter while in Asia (and maybe a 230V if your planning to stay in China - let me know your plans.

Thank you for the 4th installment.
Hi John,
Yes, I am in Beijing, and I will be here for atleast two years. It's great that you may repair them for me. I think 230V might be a good option. I may need an adaptor later, but I don't even know where I am going in two years:D

Alavan,

OK, lets try and arrange a 230V adapter for your MDAC once I'm in HK - this will get you going, then the MDAC2 in the full width chassis will have a rear panel Mains voltage selectable switch - well in time for your future plans two years from now :)

Hi John,

I'm from Hong Kong and I'm new to this forum and thread.
I have an original MDAC that has never been modified.
Is the MDAC2 is open for newcomer?
If yes, what payment option do I pick as below?

1. L2 (4th) Development Installment £100.00 GBP
2. Combined 1st – 4th Development Installment £400.00 GBP
3. Toy/Fusion Owners L2 Development Installment £100.00 GBP
4. MDAC2 Slave Units (L2 or L3) £300.00 GBP

Halook,

As a new comer to the project select option 2, please consider that the PCB's are sold "At Cost" so an extra £300 to £400 when we proceed to production. I hope to commence production of the PCB's around November - maybe earlier.

It would appear that I will be in HK to test the boards so we can meet in person when the boards are ready to upgrade and test your unit :)

Alavan,

OK, lets try and arrange a 230V adapter for your MDAC once I'm in HK - this will get you going, then the MDAC2 in the full width chassis will have a rear panel Mains voltage selectable switch - well in time for your future plans two years from now :)
John,
This sounds great. Thank you so much! Please let know what to do when you are ready to receive the parcel. I will mail it via express delivery.

Hi all, to open the Mdac up, is it just the 4 torx screws on the sides and the Oled connector inside that need to be undone? Just want to have a look at the condition of the bad caps.
Steven.

Hi Steve,

Yes, x4 Torx screws each side - and carefully unplugging the Flex Foil cable to the front panel before sliding out the PCB's complete with rear panel - rearwards.

brab,

Yes the MDAC uses ASync USB, but a far chunk of the USB IC operates on the incoming "Jittery" USB Datastream - its the processing of this "noisy" data that allows Jitter to creep into other parts of the MDAC's circuits via Ground noise & EMC etc.

There seem to be very few of us with Regens feeding the MDAC. Nearly everybody on the CA threads reports a major improvement with just the standard SMPS powering the Regen, and then another improvement, but not so spectacular, by going to a good LPS. This is with a pretty wide range of DACS. However with my MDAC, I had the opposite impression- a small improvement with just the SMPS, but a major one with a good LPS (Hynes SR5). Since you have the HDPlex available, I'm not surprised you use that, but have you tried the SMPS at all?

There seem to be very few of us with Regens feeding the MDAC. Nearly everybody on the CA threads reports a major improvement with just the standard SMPS powering the Regen, and then another improvement, but not so spectacular, by going to a good LPS. This is with a pretty wide range of DACS. However with my MDAC, I had the opposite impression- a small improvement with just the SMPS, but a major one with a good LPS (Hynes SR5). Since you have the HDPlex available, I'm not surprised you use that, but have you tried the SMPS at all?

The SMPS is still boxed up, never used since I already had the HDPlex LPS. Feeding Regen with 9V, may try the 12V outlet later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back