advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d just like to clarify that I don’t want to get involved in adding a complex Network Streamer to the MDAC2 – these become obsolescent very quickly, require huge amounts of software support – well beyond what we can entertain, and are too complex for the average owner.

I want to offer a “Wireless Link” between the MDAC2 and host device such as an iPad / iPhone or other such “Smart” device –think of it as a higher quality versions of Bluetooth.

It was my error to originally consider a Raspberry Pie type platform – it’s a misdirected idea as there is no advantage to include it within the MDAC2.

Including a RPi would only complicate the design and adds unwanted levels of internal RF. With the constant progress of “Computers” it would add rapid obsolescent to the MDAC2…

I’ve managed to make contact with the AirMusic manufacturer and now have a direct contact with there engineering team. They have a new design in development that looks promising and hopefully better suited to the MDAC2 project. Samples are being shipped from China for evaluation.

The intention is to support HiRes Bit Accurate audio – ideally clock-locked to the MDAC2’s Master clock. I’m making no promise, so at “worst” it will be an internal “Airport Express” + DLNA.

Please forget just think of this a simple no messing wireless link for secondary use – possibly it can be used as a primary link, depending how far I get with the engineering contacts.

Don’t forget our tiny order Qtys, so I can hardly make them jump though loops – but I can offer feedback and support in exchange to help them better understand the requirements for HiFi / Pro users.

A question for those more computer savvy than me. Let's assume John is successful in getting a bit perfect / clock locked wi fi solution. In that scenario it would be great if I could stream the music files on my NAS to the Airport Express using no other kit than my ipad. Is that possible, or will I still need a music renderer (such as a Pi running some freeware) ? If so then I might as well just connect the Pi to the MDAC2 with a USB cable. Or am I missing something?

Use USB if you do not listen to files with higher samplerate than 96Khz and if you want to listen to 192khz you will have to use coaxial which I know works. I do not know if optical on the SBT works with 192khz because I never tried it.

In my experience, the SBT optical output works at 192kHz with the MDAC... while with my PC's onboard audio, the optical out works up to 96kHz and coax is required at higher sampling rates.

USB will be fine for me since Tidal will be my main source. How about the USB hubs, will I need one or is it not necessary?

Alright...So my MDAC just starting acting up last week...
Unit powers up intermittently and freezes at LAKE * WEST...
Going to reflash with vA.10 to see if that resolves the power issue...
I see there is an upcoming MDAC2 with support for MDAC retrofit...
Is the kit available for purchase? Been a while since my last post...

UPDATE: Unable to reflash firmware as the display does not move past LAKE * WEST...
As such, I am unable to set the input to USB. Depressing volume knob upon power up does not resolve the issue...
Any workarounds or recommended suggestions as to how to resolve :( ?

Adam,

Sounds like Crystal failure - the first MDAC2's will not start to ship until late Q2 / Early Q3 this year.

Where are you located? I can repair your unit free of charge (so long as you cover the shipping costs).

I’ve bought an M-DAC off a fellow PF member and have a few questions if I may…

I plan to use the DAC mostly from a SBT and laptop, is USB my best bet in both cases (with EDO)? A follow on from that, I’ve heard it mentioned some sort of powered USB hub is required for the Touch, uis that still the case and could someone please link a cheap and competent example from Amazon please?

I have also read to get higher bitrate out via USB on a laptop I may need to install something, can any one shed some light on that as I’m clueless?

Finally are there any tips on how to get the best from the DAC particularly with a SBT? Many thanks.

I understand that there is a special build of SBT firmware that allows "Hub Less" use with the MDAC (and certain other DACs) - but I'm not sure of the limitations.

The MDAC USB supports upto 24/96.

A question for those more computer savvy than me. Let's assume John is successful in getting a bit perfect / clock locked wi fi solution. In that scenario it would be great if I could stream the music files on my NAS to the Airport Express using no other kit than my ipad. Is that possible, or will I still need a music renderer (such as a Pi running some freeware) ? If so then I might as well just connect the Pi to the MDAC2 with a USB cable. Or am I missing something?

Apples' Airplay only supports 44.1 / 16 bits, for higher resolution via the wireless link you will need to use it via DLNA...

I believe you will be able to "stream" via NAS > iPad > Airplay device (MDAC2 Wireless) for 44.1/16 audio.

That would be fantastic John; a real bonus!

Are your communications the China OK? If you need help, I can find someone from Singapore to help. Actually, there are Singaporean Chinese on this forum who I'm sure could help you with communications.

Cheers,
Bruce

Bruce,

Thank you for the offer - Communications are good with China, I spent almost 20 years in HK / Asia so while I cannot speak Chinese I can communicate with Engineering teams who will often have basic level of English :)

From experience using synology NAS, you can stream the music from the NAS to an airplay receiver. Get the app (DSaudio for iOS or android - others I don t know), and use your phone/tablet as remote.
Airplay streaming is limited to 16/44.1. Higher res files are down sampled by the NAS.

I do not use the DLNA server of the NAS but I know that you can stream any file at any resolution, provided your renderer is able to handle them. Apps also exist to use a phone/tablet as remote. These are either build-specific (e.g. Yamaha, Naim, etc.) or generic.

It seems to me that, if the board john intends to add to the MDAC2 has stable and well performing wifi connection, and if it is able to process high res, bit perfect, "exotic" file formats such as (high res) ALAC, it may well become a solution for much more than casual listening.

Sounds like Crystal failure...Where are you located? I can repair your unit free of charge (so long as you cover the shipping costs).
Los Angeles. Awesome. PM sent :) . I hope the first PM went through as I received the following dialog upon a second PM submission: JohnW has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Adam,

To ease Customs & shipping etc, how confident would you be to remove the Main PCB?

If your OK to remove the PCB, then follow these instructions:-

Undo the x8 T6 Torx screws holding the front and rear panels (x4 each side)

Carefully ease off the front panel - unplug the Front panel ribbon cable (Just carefully pull the cable away from the connector on the front panel)

Once the Front panel has been detached, then slide out the Main PCB complete with rear panel and PSU PCB (Sliding the PCB rearwards from the chassis).

As you slide-out the Mainboard and PSU PCB's, make a visual note how the PCB's are positioned within the "Groves / Rails" in the chassis - just so you know how to slide the PCB's back in into the chassis when you reassemble your unit.

Now you can just ship your Mainboard, complete with rear panel + PSU PCB.

When you remove the front panel flat foil Ribbon cable - you can try reasserting it so that you have a feel how to do it - the trick is to apply equal force top and bottom of the Flat Foil cable so that its inserted evenly (straight) into the socket.

Working with the Flat foil cable is the hardest part of the procedure - it easy when you know how, but it takes a little bit of getting used too as the cable resists being inserted into the Front panel socket - I stress the trick is to insert it evenly (Straight).

I've PM you my address, if you dont feel comfortable with removing the mainboard PCB, then just send the MDAC ONLY (No AC adaptor or remote handset) - and ship USPS, for "US$15, Non Working DAC".

We have a "hard limit" of a maximum of 150 MDAC2s... Taking into considerations potential Toy / Fusion owners "Officially" joining the project at this payment round, then we will be coming close to this limit.

You can join the MDAC2 L2/L3 project by selecting the combined x4 development installment payment option via our very crude webpage :) .
That being said, would payment at this point allow for inclusion into the MDAC2 project?

Bruce,

Thank you for the offer - Communications are good with China, I spent almost 20 years in HK / Asia so while I cannot speak Chinese I can communicate with Engineering teams who will often have basic level of English :)

Ah, no worries. You're most welcome.

Cheers,
Bruce

That being said, would payment at this point allow for inclusion into the MDAC2 project?

Adam,

Yes you can secure your MDAC2 L2 position by joining the project. As your based in the US, its good to join now while the US Dollar is so strong :)

The Fusion resistor combinations have not yet been determined (I have a good idea and have left component "Footprints" on the PCB, but will make the final decision when I listen to the Analogue PCB).

The Vishay Bulk foils will be "Sold At Cost" and can be ordered when we request payment for the PCB's (When we start manufacture of the PCB's).

Am having difficulties with the PayPal form when accessed from lakewestaudio.com. Could you send me an invoice or PM me your PayPal email address? Your PM inbox appears to be full once again, hence this post...

JohnW said:
We have a "hard limit" of a maximum of 150 MDAC2s... Taking into considerations potential Toy / Fusion owners "Officially" joining the project at this payment round, then we will be coming close to this limit.
Hi John, when will us Toy/Fusion owners be invited to send the L2 development fee? I'm ready but as I'm only checking in on this thread occasionally I may have missed it. I keep expecting an email asking for a payment tbh...

But will we receive an email? I just like to keep records, I'm OCD that way.... :D

John,

As the PCB is away being manufactured I'm using the time to work on the VFET amplifier design (which is progressing well) - the PCB should be back next Friday.

Once the PCB arrive, I'll take pictures and include them in the official "L2" Email with a full project update.

Just happy to have the time to work on the VFET amps :)

Smashing - cash waiting, just being pernickety ;) The only sad bit is that I won't get a chance to hear MDAC2 through big ATCs, as I will be back with my Adams as of this weekend.... #bittersweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back