advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
NEIL A,

I'm impressed, more so if the on/off switch does not rub.:)

Though what perplexes me is that your capacitors seem unfatigued, your serial no. B0254 is only 18 less than mine (B0272) and yet many of my capacitors are bulging/erupting.

Have you left your unit powered on permanently, or do you switch on/off?.

Hi misterdog,
Yes, as you know the rubbing power switch, combined with the bending of the power input board, if you press it unsupported at the sides, meant it it was very fiddly to set up the runners. That was the beauty of the "BODGER AUDIO" method of adding the runners, taking them with my old soldering iron, after the board was inserted and the side supports drilled and added. I found that it was more a case of the switch rubbing top to bottom, rather than side to side. There was also the case of keeping the runners narrow, so the components on the board did not foul as it was slid in.
My MDAC has had little use, as not long after getting it my ATC tweeter's finally evaporated the last of their ferrofluid and I was waiting for the new ATC ones. 2 years later I gave up waiting for the new ATC tweeters, so finally got some interim Vifa's. During this period I lost interest in the "big Hi-Fi", the Mrs reclaimed the lounge (with her bloody Yamaha keyboard thingy!) and I was away for long periods.
I expect the real fault in my dCS DAC must be regulator / capacitor related, as it in now 20 years old and was left switched on for months at a time.

Indeed seperate power supply and amplification for each channel...
around £1K of components to convert .4Mv into around 2volts :eek:

L2 payment sent.

Earlier I was listening to Dire Straits Brothers In Arms SACD at 0 on the MDAC display, it sounded amazing!

I had a friend who was a huge Genesis fan. I had a spare ticket for one of the Zep Earl's Court gigs and I let him have it. We came out from the gig and he was just fizzing like a human Catherine Wheel (as indeed was I, but this story is not about me). He turned to me with sparks flashing in his eyes and said, "I've never experienced such ENERGY!" He understood then what truly great music could really do to you. I don't think he ever played a Genesis album again.
And that wasn't even the best Zep gig I had the good fortune to go to . . .

Oh yeah I love Led Zep too, never seen them live though, unborn the first time around and too hard to get hold of the second! I'm a drummer too so naturally drawn to Bonham from an early age. But I'm going through a period of discovery with Genesis. Selling England by the pound was one of only a handfull of albums I've truely been amazed by on first listen. So now the second one (for me) is here it's very exciting!

Must say I got the full brunt of the warm in period this evening. Started playing the album straight after switching the mdac on. I'd played it earlier on headphones on the way to work and it sounded brilliant. Everything so far that sounds great on headphones only sounds better on the hifi. So I was a bit miffed when it sounded all bright and separated. 5 mins in though it got warmer and after 30 it was really singing.

In trying to firm up what route we will take for the "OPTIONAL" :) MDAC2 Wireless option and following a thread here on PFM I ordered a Pure Jongo A2 from Ebay:-

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=291368528708

It arrived today, and I instantly opened it up:-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/Pure Module.JPG

Unfortunately its not a "Neat" solution - and rather more complex then the AirMusic device.

the Pure does offer Bluetooth, and if you look closely you can see the small Bluetooth RF Dongle plugged into an internal USB port - that's not a cheap solution!

I'm amazed the unit is being sold so cheap, Pure must be selling them below cost to clear excess stock - you can see the UK design input, its a very nicely designed PCB but it must be rather costly to build.

I noted only a single audio Clock Crystal (48KHz based), so I believe everything must be up/down sampled to 48KHz.

While interesting to see a different design, its not a practical solution for MDAC2.

The M2 AirMusic WiFi Music Streamer still currently looks like the best option:-

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=361104338442

The M2 Module mounted on the "main" PCB:-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/M2 Module 1.JPG

M2 Module removed from the Mainboard, you can see the External Panel mount Antanna has also been unplugged.

On the module you can also see the 2 rows of header pins that will plug into the MDAC2 Digital PCB.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/M2 Module 2.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/M2 Module 3.JPG

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
John, I purchased an M2 Airmusic streamer (which seems to be made by UyeSee) and have started some testing on android and PC devices (I don't have any modern Apple gear) since it arrived on Monday.

It seems to work without any real issue on Android (provided one downloads an app which supports uPNP/DLNA), but getting it to work with a Windows computer is much more of a challenge. So far, I've only been able to get it to produce sound by downloading 'Airfoil', a piece of software which can be purchased for about $29 (not that far from the price of the hardware).

It's definitely not natively supported by windows, and all the uPNP/DLNA software which I've tried (and tested with a raspberry piCorePlayer) do not see this device.

The UyeSee website is useless (the firmware download doesn't work and result in an incomplete rar file), and the company hasn't responded to my email over the last 3 days. Support on the web is nearly non existent (besides a few youtube videos which are iffy and not that helpful... even if one of them mentions some applications which are supposed to work... but which I couldn't find on google).

I'll do some further testing over the weekend, including to see if Airfoil allows a bit perfect solution, and will report ASAP.

On the basis of my limited testing today, a Raspberry Pi 2 is a much better solution (good support, compatibility with the MDAC via USB at no extra cost, i2s interface), but costs more (especially when adding Wifi) and is bulkier

Maybe if you try the UPnP MediaRenderer plugin for foobar it would at least appear as an output device?

On the subject of using Airplay with Windows, I used Tuneblade which worked great with a Denon CEOL and is cheaper (9€).

If you keep on using Airplay, 16bit/44.1khz is supposedly bit perfect.

EIffel,

Thank you for the feedback.

I only see this as a "Simple" Wireless solution, between Phone / Tablet not as a Streamer.

I don't think there can be any argument that the Raspberry Pi 2 is better, but its more complex, not plug and go, expensive, larger - and being Linux based not for the faint of heart.

I tried out my unit with an iPhone 4S and had it working in a couple of minutes.

It would be nice to understand what's require for Windows, but this is not meant to replace a USB link - any machine using Windows suggest a Home PC or Laptop which should be used via USB for ASync, Bit perfect, Hi Res operation.

It important to remember that this is a secondary link for non critical audio applications such streaming YouTube videos / BBC news from a Phone / Tablet etc.

Think of it as a higher quality link in place of Bluetooth.

NEIL A - I have some ferrofluid.... as you like a bit of DIY. ?

misterdog - HA! (B&Q)
Yes, I had thought of getting some ferrofluid, but what source for the correct spec? AFAICS is would cost around 20 dollars for some "audio" grade stuff. I had not investigated how easy the coil assy of the Vifa tweeters was to extract, to apply the ferrofluid. The pair of replacement Vifa tweeters only cost £50 from Wilmslow, so It was not worth the bother of ferrofluid replacement with 20 year old tweeters that could be damaged. As it happened, when I swapped the Vifa faceplate off my obsolete 100mm ATC ones, the coil assy fell out!, barely any ferrofluid left, but no sign of over heating/damage to coil.

Maybe if you try the UPnP MediaRenderer plugin for foobar it would at least appear as an output device?

On the subject of using Airplay with Windows, I used Tuneblade which worked great with a Denon CEOL and is cheaper (9€).

If you keep on using Airplay, 16bit/44.1khz is supposedly bit perfect.

I did try the M2 with the foobar plugin, to no avail...

I'll play around with Airfoil (and maybe Tuneblade) over the weekend.

I only see this as a "Simple" Wireless solution, between Phone / Tablet not as a Streamer.

It would be nice to understand what's require for Windows, but this is not meant to replace a USB link - any machine using Windows suggest a Home PC or Laptop which should be used via USB for ASync, Bit perfect, Hi Res operation.

Think of it as a higher quality link in place of Bluetooth.

John, I'll do more testing soon (including audio quality), but it seems fine as a way to play music from a phone / tablet. I'm keen to get it to work with windows machines/laptops though (I had secretly hoped it would be natively recognized by the OS as I understand it is on Macs, so that one could have used the 'play to' feature of Windows, but this is not the case)

So far, I've only been able to get it to produce sound by downloading 'Airfoil', a piece of software which can be purchased for about $29 (not that far from the price of the hardware).
If you can make it work using this software and not with any of the normal uPNP/DLNA software (which is confirmed working with your RPi server/renderer), could you sniff the traffic using something like Wireshark? Preferably everything from powering the M2 airmusic to the player looking for devices / playing music. Two captures - one working (Airfoil), one not (other players).
Maybe you're missing something simple if it works with android (suggesting no vendor lock-in is in place).

The world is still not all Apple. :) There are some Windows-based phones and tablets (ARM) and figuring out the problem might not be as hard. Not to mention laptops, ... err .. netbooks .. err .. laplets .. err .. ultrabooks. That's the one.

edit: 4th installment paid, .. ugh, paypal made me pay over 40czk / gbp with the rate being at 38.3czk (forex), I need to make a gbp account

It's definitely not natively supported by windows, and all the uPNP/DLNA software which I've tried (and tested with a raspberry piCorePlayer) do not see this device.

Eiffel, I got my AirMusic device working from windows (not bit-perfect though) using WinAmp and this plug-in: http://emilles.dyndns.org/software/out_apx.html

It is a 14 day trial and then $10USD to purchase. The plug-in apparently supports Foobar2000, MediaMonkey, MusicBee, Winamp, or XMPlay, but I've not yet tried any of these other media players. For me, WinAmp will always be king :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back