advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
...could integrating a spinning ROM not contribute to vibrations within the MDAC2 chassis?

Prefer external unit personally :)

...could integrating a spinning ROM not contribute to vibrations within the MDAC2 chassis?

Prefer external unit personally :)

Not an issue here as the CD mechanism is designed for automotive applications is very VERY well isolated.

There will not be an standalone CD transport from Lakewest as it make no financial sense.

Maybe we could have an option to supply an extra spare MECH (At Cost) with each unit as a lifetime spare part!

IF! IF!! IF!!! :) it went ahead, then it would be an option :)

I realise that, I was responding to your thoughts about how popular it might be. I guess I'm just concererned about the MDAC2 being pushed back because of the need to thing about a drive.

At this stage I'm more interested in getting my hands on an MDAC 2, than case options (though if a case - without drive - were available at the same time as the MDAC 2 board was released I might be interested in that).

I would be in for the drive...
Looking forward to retire all of my stuff here and bring just three new boxes (vfet amps and mdac). If some fancy cables can be saved even better!

It depends how many people would choose the MDAC2 full width Chassis with internal slot loader to see if its financially feasible. I'm not sure many people would pay an extra GBP300 for the CD slot loader.

I would be interested for full width chassis with internal slot loader but not without it.

I realise that, I was responding to your thoughts about how popular it might be. I guess I'm just concererned about the MDAC2 being pushed back because of the need to thing about a drive.

At this stage I'm more interested in getting my hands on an MDAC 2, than case options (though if a case - without drive - were available at the same time as the MDAC 2 board was released I might be interested in that).

The initial release of MDAC is the set of PCB's, the full width chassis comes afterwards.

We already have the servo solution - so we only need to add the connector on the MDAC2 digital PCB, there will be little extra design required. The FPGA which will act as the "hub" and has plenty of spare I/O's.

The bulk of the extra design work would be required when working on the Chassis / PSU / Front panel & Dominiks software workload.

The initial release of MDAC is the set of PCB's, the full width chassis comes afterwards.

We already have the servo solution - so we only need to add the connector on the MDAC2 digital PCB, there will be little extra design required. The FPGA which will act as the "hub" and has plenty of spare I/O's.

The bulk of the extra design work would be required when working on the Chassis / PSU / Front panel & Dominiks software workload.

John,

I have digitized all my CDs already with no compression. I will be using a PC to connect to MDAC2 via USB. What would be the audio advantage for me to use an internal CD player?

Perphaps this is just a daft idea, but in the case of a MDAC2 with CDP could the 8200CD/ CDQ chassis be used?

John, would there be space (on the backpanel and the digital pcb) for a HDMI input?

It would be a very nice option in combination with the slave units when using DSD over HDMI or a 7.1 LPCM stream from a regular blu ray source:

DSD / 7.1 -- HDMI --> MDAC2 (Master) ---> Analog Ch 1, 2

|​

MDAC2 (Slave 1) ---> Analog Ch 3, 4​

|​

MDAC2 (Slave 2) ---> Analog Ch 5, 6​

I'm not sure how much space there will be in the TDAC chassis - but it should be possible for the MDAC2 Chassis - but with design time and the "At Cost" costs would add about GBP250 to GBP300 extra to the price of the chassis.

Remember folks, the integrated CD/DAC is the very best option for ultimate sound quality.

+1
I am more interested in a integrated CD/TDAC because thats my final solution.

If, if, if...
John, maybe you can give an estimate price plus for the TDAC-L 2 or 3 from the MDAC2-L2 or 3....
When this is above my possibilities, I will stay with the MDAC2. Then I am more than interested in a integrated CD/MDAC.

HDMI is expensive for a low volume production run such as the MDAC 2.

I see, 10'000$ annualy is a lot. But what about Displayport then? It supports 8 channels of 24/196 audio and a HDMI to DP cable could do the job. But unfortunatly I did not find any source to comfirm that dsd works too.

I guess I'm just concererned about the MDAC2 being pushed back because of the need to thing about a drive.

+1

I'd suggest another roadmap where streaming support should have higher priority then CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back