advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100101)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried connecting the iPad with lightning USB to the mdac USB input?
Can this replace a sbtouch? All my flac files are stored on a Windows server 2012 , i am looking for a better solution because the sbtouch sometimes has issues.

I appreciate vortexbox player is a version of squeezelite. In the vortexbox appliance distribution it is referred to as vortexbox player.

But it's not a default Linux player. And I think you'd start by looking to install squeezelite under Linux rather than vortexbox player... which is specifically included with vortexbox

Are there such a thing as a default player in linux?
A streaming solution in 2015 should support:
Hires format up 192khz and DSD
Streaming services like Spotyfy, Tidal/wimp, internet radio.
And have a great app for iPad. I don't want to use a computer when I am listening to music.

If there is anything better than LMS+squeezelite/SBT + iPeng. then I am very interested in hearing about it and it don't have to be free/cheap if it is better.
But I am not willing to compromize on the user interface (iPad) and support for streaming services.
The user interface is where most fail.

When I tested Vortexbox out in my own build (a spare Shuttle computer) a few years ago, I had it autorip all my CDs. A bad choice. For some reason - I have no idea why - bits of music not on the CDs I ripped were injected into 1 track on almost every cd that I ripped in this way. I am at a loss to understand what happened, but it meant that I had to rip everything again. So I said bye bye Vortexbox at the time and re-ripped everything.

Then I had an SB Touch with EDO plug in - a nice solution. But I wanted to try something else and built a simple, fanless, dedicated music player on the basis of first windows 8, later Windows Server 2012 + JRiver Media Player + Paul Pang USB card (music out) + 64gb mSATA drive + 8gb ram + the intel DN2800MT motherboard . This is the player I hope to be using into the MDAC2 and later the TDAC for music playback. It is more expensive than the linux-based MPD-player but works wonders with music stored on my Synology NAS (FLAC).
All my music is already ripped and on my NAS so the rip feature does not matter to me only LMS and maybe squeezelite which is the default player in vortexbox 2.3.
What I hope to be using with MDAC2/TDAC is something like a raspberry pi running squeezelite.

I have actually just ordered a Raspberry pi 2 to test how well this works as a streaming client(squeezelite).

My reason for choosing vortexbox 2.3 was because it is easy to install and includes the feature I need out of the box (LMS).
I run Vortexbox on a Intel i5 NUC (Yes overkill) (Chromebox would also be perfect for this purpose) and only use it for LMS.

I think(might be wrong) that some of you that is critical toward LMS+squeezlite/SBT+iPeng have either not used the latest version or have run LMS on something slow like a NAS.
LMS is very responsive (instant) on the i5 NUC and that is with a very large music collection.Scanning is also quick even though it is a NAS share mounted on the Vortexbox.

Hi Rune,

did you ever try to use Daphile?
Using it for few months on my old Lenovo T60 laptop and it works flawlessly.
Latest version can even stream to AirPlay devices using ShairTunes plugin.

Good to see your still hard at it John W. Been many moons since the mamoth da-capo thread on diyaudio and enjoying reading about mdac2. Had to sell my old cardinal, da-capo (hdcd), dc (last i hear still going strong) and doubt i'll make it onto mdac/mdac2 ladder as look after my wee boy full time now (autistic)....

But anyway just wanted to say hello again, wish you luck with the mdac2 (still laugh when you said 1st time you've had to buy your own design da-capo all those years ago) and it was actually that very moment you and your staff in hk sat open mouthed and work then done on why it sounded like it did that set the mdac ball rolling.

Good luck with the mdac2 and your other future projects hope you enjoy your work focusing on things you want to do ;)

Kindest regards

John

Good to see your still hard at it John W. Been many moons since the mamoth da-capo thread on diyaudio and enjoying reading about mdac2. Had to sell my old cardinal, da-capo (hdcd), dc (last i hear still going strong) and doubt i'll make it onto mdac/mdac2 ladder as look after my wee boy full time now (autistic)....

But anyway just wanted to say hello again, wish you luck with the mdac2 (still laugh when you said 1st time you've had to buy your own design da-capo all those years ago) and it was actually that very moment you and your staff in hk sat open mouthed and work then done on why it sounded like it did that set the mdac ball rolling.

Good luck with the mdac2 and your other future projects hope you enjoy your work focusing on things you want to do ;)

Kindest regards

John

John :)

Very good to hear from you after all these years - I'm sure if my fading memory serves me correct it was DiYforum we first met while I was developing Digital amplifiers :)

Still have the Dacapo I bought of Ebay :) its now very heavily modified (with a custom FPGA based modulator PCB) - once I unpack my items from the container (shipped back from China) - Ill see if it still works and compare against MDAC2 :)

I hope to return to modulator design on the MDAC2 using the power of the FPGA - this should be a decent step up to the ESS's own modulator - the MDAC never reached the performance of the modified Dacapo.

After spending 2 years or so on the DAC2 design - I'm very keen to see the completion of the project - Asides from the ADC section which I'll add on the final PCB spin, I'm just completing the very last sections (The right channels ESS DACs Analogue PSU). the PCB should be FINALLY issued by the end of the month :)

Can this replace a sbtouch? All my flac files are stored on a Windows server 2012 , i am looking for a better solution because the sbtouch sometimes has issues.

OK - I'm using Windows XP - and I still have the very first Gen iPad so I'm well behind the curve.

I've not had a chance to try the lightening connector versions nor heard from anyone who has, but I'd also be keen to know if it works with the MDAC as the iPad is such a brilliant device.

IMHO the point of using a iPad is that that you can remote control the music from anywhere in the room/house.
So I think a better option is to substitute the SBT with something like a raspberry pi 2.
I have just ordered one to test this because I also have stability issues occasionally when streaming DSD64 or 192khz files on a wired network.
So I suspect it is either a buffering issue or that the processor in the SBT is under powered to handle the load.

Are there such a thing as a default player in linux?

I imagine each Linux distribution will have its own preferred application that is installed by default. I use Ubuntu 14.10 and the application that came with the default installation was Rhythmbox.

- Richard.

I have just ordered one to test this because I also have stability issues occasionally when streaming DSD64 or 192khz files on a wired network.
So I suspect it is either a buffering issue or that the processor in the SBT is under powered to handle the load.

I would also look at your router if you have problems when streaming 24/192 to your SBT. When I had one, I never experienced hiccups with 192khz flac on a wired network. If I experience problems now with my computer set-ups, I know that it is time for a router reboot.
Peter

Hi John the MDAC arrived today unfortunately it DOA, ive checked the fuse on the plug, do you have a diagram i can check the power supply with ie, what pins do what?

Cheers.

Hi John the MDAC arrived today unfortunately it's DOA, ive checked the fuse on the plug, do you have a diagram i can check the power supply with ie, what pins do what?

Cheers.

Not getting anything from the pins? I hope i'm measuring them right, checked the multimeter with another 18VAC adapter and the multimeter is working OK, puzzling? :( Is there anything inside the transformer housing that can be checked, although looking at the screws it seems like its not keen on being violated ;).

Edit: Ive took the top off the output transformer and measured from the other end of the 15VAC windings nothing! So it seems the tranformer is Kaput!

John :)

Very good to hear from you after all these years - I'm sure if my fading memory serves me correct it was DiYforum we first met while I was developing Digital amplifiers :)

Still have the Dacapo I bought of Ebay :) its now very heavily modified (with a custom FPGA based modulator PCB) - once I unpack my items from the container (shipped back from China) - Ill see if it still works and compare against MDAC2 :)

I hope to return to modulator design on the MDAC2 using the power of the FPGA - this should be a decent step up to the ESS's own modulator - the MDAC never reached the performance of the modified Dacapo.

After spending 2 years or so on the DAC2 design - I'm very keen to see the completion of the project - Asides from the ADC section which I'll add on the final PCB spin, I'm just completing the very last sections (The right channels ESS DACs Analogue PSU). the PCB should be FINALLY issued by the end of the month :)

See your memory isn't going... iirc you were maybe doing some peachtree stuff and other digital amp work. Unfortunately for moment i'm doing with a £69 project DAC for the money it's not too shabby but not a patch on the HDCD da-capo.

Sounds like a nice beast the mdac2, you never know may manage at some point with a bit of saving. With a little luck ;)

Can't wait to see the beast and have a read of some early reviews :)

John

Not getting anything from the pins? I hope i'm measuring them right, checked the multimeter with another 18VAC adapter and the multimeter is working OK, puzzling? :( Is there anything inside the transformer housing that can be checked, although looking at the screws it seems like its not keen on being violated ;).

Edit: Ive took the top off the output transformer and measured from the other end of the 15VAC windings nothing! So it seems the tranformer is Kaput!

Jon,

Sorry, you know what I didn't check the AC adaptor - I just didn't think about it as normally only work on customers units which are sent without adaptor and I use my bench supply! its just did not occur to me, I was only concerned with testing the MDAC itself!

I'll ship a replacement adaptor tomorrow - so very sorry.

Ps. just to confirm that your multimeter was set to AC Volts (and not DC Volts)?

John,

I sent Renata an email yesterday. Can you please have her forward it to you. No Comms. Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

It would appear time has caught up with us!

Have you tried to Repower the unit after letting it cool?

I'll ship your Original PCB tomorrow - Please Email Renata your FULL address (listed as it should appear on the package).

Hopefully you will be able to coax some life from the unit in the meantime.

Jim,

Just to confirm do you now only get the "No Comms" message after powering your unit for a minute or so?

I'll be issuing the Analogue PCB files within the next couple of weeks - this is a major milestone of the project - in fact the must complex part of the design. There is work ahead but the project will now proceed at a faster rate.

Hi John,

With vA.10 set to the auto dimming now I only get "Lake*West" after about 3 minutes. I do not see the No Comms message, since the screen is already dimmed at that point. I have tried re-powering it maybe once an hour all day Saturday, Sunday and today (40x or so). It never really warms up, but I've basically been turning it on and off once per hour or so, every time I pass my music room. I'll email Renata my address as it is different from my Paypal address she has on file. Thank you!

Jim

Jon,

Sorry, you know what I didn't check the AC adaptor - I just didn't think about it as normally only work on customers units which are sent without adaptor and I use my bench supply! its just did not occur to me, I was only concerned with testing the MDAC itself!

I'll ship a replacement adaptor tomorrow - so very sorry.

Ps. just to confirm that your multimeter was set to AC Volts (and not DC Volts)?

I couldn't quite get my head round it, i understand completely, it was the last thing i expected not to work too! :D

Yes it was set to AC, i checked and double checked when i was measuring the pins but nothing on any of them, i took the top of the transformer and it's getting 239VAC but nothing on the output, everything looks fine physically with the transformer and i can see the the windings finishing in solder, so i don't know whats going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back